Customer Input Needed - Reduced Cost Macro Controller?

NYjetsNY1

oDEEKo said:
Tbh this concerns me greatly, as a relatively new macro customer, my macro controller is now based on redundant hardware.

I totally appreciate that Viking can not be responsible for, or predict, when or how M$ update their hardware. And by buying a 'modded' controller you accept the risk of just such a scenario arising..

It's just massively frustrating that it has happened so soon and while the 'full functionality firmware' is still in development. As evidenced by the creation of this thread, there's now a need to start focussing on creating a mod for the new hardware as well and ultimately us current macro owners become 'legacy users'.

I'm sure no one is feeling this quite so acutely as Einar though. Obviously he/Viking is now faced with the r&d and production set up costs etc. associated with producing a new mod whilst, in product lifespan terms, the current macro mod is still in it's infancy :(

I sincerely hope the new batch of controllers on order do turn out to be cg2 and this doesn't have too great an impact on the arrival of the new firmware.

Old macro owners wouldn't be legacy users at all. I'm thinking he wants the controller software to be cross compatible. That means the software will work fine on both controllers and only older macro users can use the full functions.

As a macro owner right now, you'll have the strongest controller, not a lesser one. You should be proud to own a viking. Your hardware will never be redundant and rest assured I will be creating macros for it through COD: 10 or so.

WetterThanWater

NEpatsNE1 said:
WetterThanWater said:
Shouldn't this also be in product conceptualizing ?
no because he asked what we thought about the price drop....and thats PS3

It doesn't say its ONLY for Viking for Ps3 discussion, its product conceptualizing, and hes trying out this idea. I think it fits into it.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Ignore this post and the last one.

NYjetsNY1

WetterThanWater said:
NEpatsNE1 said:
WetterThanWater said:
Shouldn't this also be in product conceptualizing ?
no because he asked what we thought about the price drop....and thats PS3

It doesn't say its ONLY for Viking for Ps3 discussion, its product conceptualizing, and hes trying out this idea. I think it fits into it.

It's meant for PS3 only.

odingalt

Staff member
oDEEKo said:
Tbh this concerns me greatly, as a relatively new macro customer, my macro controller is now based on redundant hardware.

I totally appreciate that Viking can not be responsible for, or predict, when or how M$ update their hardware. And by buying a 'modded' controller you accept the risk of just such a scenario arising..

It's just massively frustrating that it has happened so soon and while the 'full functionality firmware' is still in development. As evidenced by the creation of this thread, there's now a need to start focussing on creating a mod for the new hardware as well and ultimately us current macro owners become 'legacy users'.

I'm sure no one is feeling this quite so acutely as Einar though. Obviously he/Viking is now faced with the r&d and production set up costs etc. associated with producing a new mod whilst, in product lifespan terms, the current macro mod is still in it's infancy :(

I sincerely hope the new batch of controllers on order do turn out to be cg2 and this doesn't have too great an impact on the arrival of the new firmware.

If (*if*) we have to build a reduced-feature macro controller for the matrix2 circuit board, both the existing macro controllers and the new reduced-feature controllers would both use the same macro library and the same macro software. Existing macro controller customers won't become 'legacy'. Other than possibly removing a feature like the analog joystick control, the end-customer won't be able to tell the difference between the two controllers.

The new matrix2 macro modchip would actually end up using the same exact hardware as our current CG2 macro modchip. We would just tweak the firmware for matrix2 compatibility and change the wiring schematic. Since we need to recycle our CG2 modchip into a matrix2 modchip, I started this thread also probing around to see if it would be worth omitting a couple of features from the matrix2 modchip, in the interest of making our product more affordable for customers.

So not to worry, macro customers, this is not the same as our 'big jump' from Odin's Raven to Macro Controller that we made last September 2010.

NYjetsNY1

odingalt said:
oDEEKo said:

If (*if*) we have to build a reduced-feature macro controller for the matrix2 circuit board, both the existing macro controllers and the new reduced-feature controllers would both use the same macro library and the same macro software. Existing macro controller customers won't become 'legacy'. Other than possibly removing a feature like the analog joystick control, the end-customer won't be able to tell the difference between the two controllers.

The new matrix2 macro modchip would actually end up using the same exact hardware as our current CG2 macro modchip. We would just tweak the firmware for matrix2 compatibility and change the wiring schematic. Since we need to recycle our CG2 modchip into a matrix2 modchip, I started this thread also probing around to see if it would be worth omitting a couple of features from the matrix2 modchip, in the interest of making our product more affordable for customers.

So not to worry, macro customers, this is not the same as our 'big jump' from Odin's Raven to Macro Controller that we made last September 2010.

Good news then.

odingalt

Staff member
NYjetsNY1 said:
Old macro owners wouldn't be legacy users at all. I'm thinking he wants the controller software to be cross compatible. That means the software will work fine on both controllers and only older macro users can use the full functions.

As a macro owner right now, you'll have the strongest controller, not a lesser one. You should be proud to own a viking. Your hardware will never be redundant and rest assured I will be creating macros for it through COD: 10 or so.

Exactly, perfectly said. The current controller is the strongest one we'll have. I'm looking at making the next one 'lesser' (in the interest of affordability), but it would work with the same exact software and use the same exact library of macros we have now.

Crimson

odingalt said:
Existing macro controller customers won't become 'legacy'. Other than possibly removing a feature like the analog joystick control, the end-customer won't be able to tell the difference between the two controllers.

Hi all, I just got the controller a week ago, and very much in love with it. Having said that, having the analog stick taken away worries me, here is why... I play a bunch of fighting games and having the analog is a must because as of the latest macro software (0.8.7.0), the D-Pad literally does not work assigning fighting software macros, for example try making a simple fireball in street fighter (Down, Down-Right, Right), save and restart the macro software, it all gets messed up . The only way as of today is using the analog, the rest of the stuff doesn't really bother me (or any fighting genre fan hehe), like taking away the start or sync button, etc... but please fix the D-Pad before making the viking literally useless for fighting games (no analog, and no working d pad) and turning off a big customer base... my 2-cents :)

WetterThanWater

Your analog sticks will still work completely fine. Hes just making a new controller that wont have it. Your controller will stay 100% the same. There will still be macros for fighting games that use the analog sticks, He will not be making the viking "Literally Useless" .

Crimson

WetterThanWater said:
Your analog sticks will still work completely fine. Hes just making a new controller that wont have it. Your controller will stay 100% the same. There will still be macros for fighting games that use the analog sticks, He will not be making the viking "Literally Useless" .
Ah great to hear that, sorry my bad, i totally misunderstood this:
Existing macro controller customers won't become 'legacy'. Other than possibly removing a feature like the analog joystick control, the end-customer won't be able to tell the difference between the two controllers.
and jumped to conclusions, reading is fundamental indeed :)

NickM

The viking wouldn't be the same with all those things gone! The viking is the viking BECUASE of its price, BECAUSE of its look BECAUSE of its power, $200 or not, this controller is a godsend bro. Keep it the way it is.

NYjetsNY1

NickM said:
The viking wouldn't be the same with all those things gone! The viking is the viking BECUASE of its price, BECAUSE of its look BECAUSE of its power, $200 or not, this controller is a godsend bro. Keep it the way it is.

They have to do the changes for the matrix. The good news is they won't have to for a long time - they just got a big nice shipment of CG2 controllers. Therefore they can keep the original macro for a lot longer, but once the matrix becomes the newer controller board, the viking360 will have to change. Correct me if I am wrong.

xxVIKINGxx

So when the new controller comes out, people that have the viking would be downgrading if they bought the new matrix board one?

NYjetsNY1

xxVIKINGxx said:
So when the new controller comes out, people that have the viking would be downgrading if they bought the new matrix board one?

Somewhat, yes. It would be cheaper though. I believe a lot of this is hypothetical, we don't know exactly yet.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

NYjetsNY1 said:
xxVIKINGxx said:

Somewhat, yes. It would be cheaper though. I believe a lot of this is hypothetical, we don't know exactly yet.
but they already own the valhalla....soo...

It's good to know that the current Viking owners have the best one! But if we do lose the analog sticks that would mean no anti-recoil that we have been anxiously waiting for :(! I like the old school Viking cuz a macro controller with limited possibilities doesn't sound as amusing as endless possibilities! Cough (shift key) Cough! Lol

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

xxVIKINGxx said:
I agree I have been waiting for those anti recoil macro's so I hope they're still comming
honestly i dont think they will....each controller is slightly different from another....and they are removing analog features from the new macro controllers....not telling you what to do but it seems no one around here cares about making the anti-recoil so why dont you make it? you would become as famous as NYs turbo knife..

WetterThanWater

You could make anti recoils for guns that only go up, but randomly recoil guns like the FN FAL and the Galil, I don't think will ever come.