DIY Assistance

Paul

So hey. I've lurked around the forums a while, and made a decision: There is no way I'm paying so much for a controller, so I'm going to mod the new black CG2 one I got. I've going to make it into a Duo. I have two queries:

1. I don't think the kit has wire. If it doesn't, will this wire be good?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062642

2. On the tact switches, uhh, what drill bit should I use? I've never drilled into a controller before. Same with the 3.5mm jack, what drill bit size should I use for this?

3. Should I glue my jack and tact switches in? How should I keep them in place?

4. On the 3.5mm jack and the tacs, it says a part I can solder to any ground. Does this mean I solder it to the "ground" point on the controller?

5. Where does the chip actually end up being stored in the controller shell, the instructions didn't explain that clearly.

Paul

Oh yes, also, does anyone know where I can find good quality LEDs on the internet?

I might just buy a red controller and put some gold LEDs into it with my DUO to make it look awesome, like on the main page. ^^

odingalt

Staff member
1.) 3-4 years ago I used to buy Radio Shack wire. About a year ago I bought some and it was crap - they use some kind of shiny/slippery coating on the wire. Look to see if you have a Fry's store nearby or any other type of electronics outfit. If not we've been buying our 30 AWG wire from jameco.com, you can also try frys.com their on-line store

2.) 9/64" drill bit I believe works well for the tactile switches if I remember correctly? The tactile switch heads are 3mm wide which is equivalent to .118 inches. 9/64" is equivalent to like .141 inches. I think fredrow made a post somewhere with pics showing the best location for the tactile switches, be sure to find that before you start drilling.

3.) Yeah I use a hot glue gun.

4.) Sure, you can just solder it to the G point on the mod chip or the 'ground' point as shown in the pics.

5.) The CG1 install instructions are the best as far as showing how this chip fits in the controller, it has like 30 pics detailing the install. Unfortunately the matrix and CG2 install instructions are really more like just diagrams.

IrishStyle

I usually use JB weld or AB putty for the tact switches and jack. It takes longer to set fully but they will not come loose unless you want. The led's you need are 0603 Surface Mount LED. Here is a link to a good site for LED's

http://www.unique-leds.com/

PS3andCOD

Contributor
I was looking at that LED site, and you know what would be sweet? I saw some tricolour LEDs, and if I ever get a PS3 mod, I'm going to put one of those under the PS button. Then I can have one color on all the time, and the other two colours can be mod indicator lights!!!

Paul

PS3andCOD said:
I was looking at that LED site, and you know what would be sweet? I saw some tricolour LEDs, and if I ever get a PS3 mod, I'm going to put one of those under the PS button. Then I can have one color on all the time, and the other two colours can be mod indicator lights!!!

Woah, if I ever got a PS3, I would get that. XD