DIY chip question?

MJ23KB24

ModdingBros Leader
Hey guys I have did my install however my down button to turn off modes does not work. Which point is the DPAD down? All the other directions work just not DPAD down and up. Also when I hold down RT with a rapid fire on it doesnt rapid fire and the LED blinks like crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member
The matrix works a little "funny". There is no one connection for d-pad down. It's in a matrix of buttons.

Did you connect the VREF wire...

odingalt

Staff member
Unfortunately nobody reads any more, it's a lost art lol. Yeah, in bold the manual says:

"(The VREF wire was forgotten in the photo above, but it must also be installed)"

odingalt

Staff member
No this is pretty common. When I took the pictures I had all the wires except VREF installed, so I made the note. It looks like I just need to photoshop that in. Nobody reads, you are like the 10th person in a row to ignore that message plus ignore the fact there is a point called "VREF" in the connection photos :)

MJ23KB24

ModdingBros Leader
Yeah haha I just ran into another problem though I was stuffing the stuff back into the controller to check if it worked turned it on and then whenever I held the mod switch and pressed a button nothing happing. The 4th LED is still on from the previous installation in which I didnt have VREF installed. Then on top of that my X button was unresponsive. So I opened the controller back and saw that the DB-1 point had got pulled up from the board carry along the leg to the diode or whatever that componet is. I did my best to solder it back on and it stuck. However the X button is still unresponsive and the tac switch still does not work.

40_ounce

If you can't get DB-1 soldered back you might have to buy a new matrix2. Also it looks like you are using way too much solder and you have a lot of exposed wire.

odingalt

Staff member
I use 30 awg (american wire gauge) wire for all my projects, I always run into trouble trying to use anything else. You can pick up 30 awg from radio shack, or from radioshack.com or frys.com or also jameco.com. I would ditch the heavier gauge wire you are using (looks like 26?) and try over and hope the board survives. :) Also if you haven't picked some up, get some soldering flux and check to see if you have the smallest tip installed that is available for your iron.

My guess is your handiwork is o.k. but your wire gauge and tip are a litlte big for this job (the smaller the better) and flux always helps if you can get your hands on some.

MJ23KB24

ModdingBros Leader
I have some flux and have fluxed all of the point before hand. Also I have some cheapy soldering station with a pretty fine point. I will try some different sized wire tomorrow if I get a chance to ride my bike over to radio shack. Thanks for the tips I will definitely post my status later on tomorrow.