Diy mod help

supimbob333

So i have finished my mod and I put it all together to find out that the right stick right bumper and b, and y do not work.

Any common problems?

I already checked for shorts in my circuit, but i could not find any.

obo

You might have damaged the circuit board. If you used too hot of a gun or got solder on the circuit board, that might cause some issues.

IrishStyle

Run the button test code for you install, duo or sleeper. It sounds like user error on the install to me. The buttons you said is basically the whole right side of the PCB install. If you soldered to the VIA holes rather that the traces, that might be your problem. VIA holes can be tricky to get a good connection out of.

obo

supimbob333 said:
It cant be the circuit board cuz I was able to program it.
i was talking about the xbox 360 circuit board. And yeah, do what irishstyle suggested, sometimes a reprogram is all it needs. And be sure to check "allow word configuration"

supimbob333

Yea i did soldered to the VIA holes not traces because I didn't want to tear up the traces...
Thanks for the advice I will try that.

Fredrow

Well I'm going to need some info from you.

What type of Xbox360 controller PCB are you working with?

What type pf wire are you working with?

When did you buy the DIY kit? (Only asking this because we are going through a crappy stash of boards, not our fault, Damn Chinese dudes)

How did scrap away the "GREEN" solder mask?

What happen when you ran the button test code?

IrishStyle said:
Run the button test code for you install, duo or sleeper. It sounds like user error on the install to me. The buttons you said is basically the whole right side of the PCB install. If you soldered to the VIA holes rather that the traces, that might be your problem. VIA holes can be tricky to get a good connection out of.

Irish the VIA holes is the only thing I solder to. But I have a super sweet trick that I use to get the best connection. I use 220grit sandpaper to remove the solder mask. Works like a champ.....

obo

supimbob333 said:
Well, I did that and it was to no avail....

Is there some way I could mail it to you and pay you to fix it?
one more question to go along with fredrow's do the buttons work when the mod is turned off?

Fredrow

obo said:
supimbob333 said:
Well, I did that and it was to no avail....

Is there some way I could mail it to you and pay you to fix it?
one more question to go along with fredrow's do the buttons work when the mod is turned off?

obo nice call.... THis was going to be in my next step of trouble shooting questions to ask this guy.....

IrishStyle

Wouldn't the buttons still work properly without the chip powered on? Because all you are basically doing is jumping off the buttons. Unless they were shorted together or something like that. Fredrow why couldn't he go to the traces? Am I missing something?

Fredrow

You can go off of the trace, but if he screwed up and ruined the trace or the VIA hold while he was removing the green solder mask then the buttons would not work at all......

supimbob333

What type of Xbox360 controller PCB are you working with?
I have a CG1 board.

What type pf wire are you working with?
Uhhmm... 30 gage wire I got from radio shack.

When did you buy the DIY kit? (Only asking this because we are going through a crappy stash of boards, not our fault, Damn Chinese dudes)
Early november, Its been a wile, never had time to install it.

How did scrap away the "GREEN" solder mask?
Razor blade.

What happen when you ran the button test code?
The player 3 and 4 buttons flashed randomly but only one at a time.

supimbob333

No. When I get home I will disconnect those buttons and try. But with the mod hooked up no. They don't work at all.

What is a DMM?

Fredrow

supimbob333 said:
No. When I get home I will disconnect those buttons and try. But with the mod hooked up no. They don't work at all.

What is a DMM?

I don't mean to sound rude, but do you have any ELECTRONICS skills at all??

Sounds to me like you F#*CKED up your controller. Sounds like someone went a little to overboard with the razor blade when removing the solder mask.