Drivers won't install!!

RED SOX

ModdingBros Co-Leader
My computer won't pick up my controllers because the Drivers won't install correctly. Any ideas on how to fix this.

NYjetsNY1

Are you using a windows computer and not a mac? Try taking out the batteries, holding start, reinserting the batteries then replugging the controller in.

RED SOX

ModdingBros Co-Leader
Are you using a windows computer and not a mac? Try taking out the batteries, holding start, reinserting the batteries then replugging the controller in.

I do have windows. Windows 7 to be exact. I tried what you said and it did not work. Any other suggestions?

odingalt

Staff member
(It would help greatly to know which controller you are having troubles with -- will assume it is the macro as you are posting here in the macro tech support :) )

The device is a standard human HID device. Drivers are native to Windows 7 so long as you have an authentic copy of Windows 7. You don't need to download anything or be connected to the internet. Sounds more like the USB on your modchip has gone bad, or, one of these suggestions might help:

*Batteries are low (this isn't BS, it makes a difference. Low batteries prevent USB from reaching proper voltage)
*Cable is bad (it's been known to happen, especially rolling over cable with your computer chair :)
*Cable is a chinese knock-off play and charge cable (these will not work, must be authentic Microsoft Pnc cable)
*Forgetting to "boot up" the controller into programming mode - remember to power up by holding the start button
*Try plugging the cable into the controller first, then the USB end into the computer last
*Try the USB ports on the front and back of your computer
*If you are using a USB hub, try the actual USB port on the computer
*If you are using a laptop, try a desktop
*IF YOU ARE USING A MAC, TRY A WINDOWS PC!!!!

If you recently tried programming your macro controller using the Viking Legacy rapidfire customization software, congratulations, you've just bricked your macro controller. That software is not compatible and the only way to recover the macro is to send it into the shop for factory programming.

Ok that's it for suggestions, I threw the whole kitchen sink at you, let us know if you make any headway. Here's one more last trick you can try...

Cold reboot your PC by turning it completely off. Then turn it on. Remove batteries from controller. Hold start button. Insert batteries while still holding the start button the whole time. Power up controller while still holding the start button. Ok now you can release the start button, plug the pnc cable firmly into the controller (sometimes it needs an extra shove if the cable or controller are wearing out), then plug the other end into your PC.

RED SOX

ModdingBros Co-Leader
Must be something with my controller then. I did everything you said and still didn't work. For some reason it worked on my other computer with XP though

odingalt

Staff member
Works on one computer but not the other one? I blame your first computer's USB ports. Is it a laptop/netbook/somethingbook?

RED SOX

ModdingBros Co-Leader
Works on one computer but not the other one? I blame your first computer's USB ports. Is it a laptop/netbook/somethingbook?

Nothing Book lol. I don't know why it kind of ****es me off. I really need to send my controller in for a check up though. Maybe that's what I'll do.

odingalt

Staff member
If it doesn't work on all your 'puters I would blame the controller. If it works reliably on one computer and not the other, I blame the 'puters. We can always try testing it out at the shop, they have a Windows 7 and a Windows XP there. All my computers at home running Windows 7. I develop all the software on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. . If it works on the shop computers they'll just certify it a-ok and send it back tho.

MJ23KB24

ModdingBros Leader
I know my controller registers on both of my computers too so maybe you can take it over here one day and we can test it out.