Help Installing Firmware...

360_DUDE

I tried installing the firmware but when I press start it comes on with one pink light and one white light.

After opening the .bin file and clicking Program/Verify everything seems to go well. However, when I try to Reset Device it says it is unable to, and then disconnects the controller. I checked several times to see if rapid fire had been installed, and nothing happens. When trying to edit something with the viking software it just ends up freezing when I try and save it to the controller.

The controller works fine as a standard 360 controller, but the lights don't come on when I turn it on, and I can't get the macro's to work.

Please help me out.

360_DUDE

Yes I have all the latest downloads. When I turn the controller on by pressing the xbox button none of the LED lights ever light up. Every once and a while it will flash a random color then go back to nothing.

I'm running a 64 bit computer. I restarted the computer and made sure it was detecting the device. I ran the firmware and everything went smoothly on-screen this time, yet it didn't change anything. When I loaded the viking software and tried to sync macros after about 5 minutes it gave me an error saying "VKS file has wrong version".

When I start it up using the start button, and a fresh pair of AA batteries, when I plug it in the 4 lights blink rapidly in blue and white. When I do the same thing with a fully charged battery pack it doesn't blink at all. I've tried it with both and neither has made a difference.

When it comes to allot of things I'm fine but I'm not a computer expert so any help would be appreciated. I just don't know whether it's a problem with the software(as if seen in other threads), the controller, or my computer.

odingalt

Staff member
Take the PNC battery pack. Now put it in a drawer.

Go get some real AA batteries. Put those in the battery holder. Try it all over again. A drained (not charged up) PnC pack will wreak havoc when the controller and PC are trying to talk to each other.

odingalt

Staff member
360_DUDE said:
I'm running a 64 bit computer. I restarted the computer and made sure it was detecting the device. I ran the firmware and everything went smoothly on-screen this time, yet it didn't change anything. When I loaded the viking software and tried to sync macros after about 5 minutes it gave me an error saying "VKS file has wrong version".

When I start it up using the start button, and a fresh pair of AA batteries, when I plug it in the 4 lights blink rapidly in blue and white. When I do the same thing with a fully charged battery pack it doesn't blink at all. I've tried it with both and neither has made a difference.

When it comes to allot of things I'm fine but I'm not a computer expert so any help would be appreciated. I just don't know whether it's a problem with the software(as if seen in other threads), the controller, or my computer.

Ok. I re-read your posts one more time. It sounds like you got through the firmware upgrade part o.k..

The lights blinking rapidly in whiteish/bluish sound correct, this is the controller talking with the PC via USB. The error with the VKS file having the wrong version... is interesting to me. Here's a stupid question, when you were in the macro software, which sync button did you click, the Computer or the Gamepad?

Try getting to that same point, where you got the gamepad connected to the computer and you have the macro software open, and hit the icon of the Computer+Monitor and see what happens.

360_DUDE

odingalt said:
360_DUDE said:

Ok. I re-read your posts one more time. It sounds like you got through the firmware upgrade part o.k..

The lights blinking rapidly in whiteish/bluish sound correct, this is the controller talking with the PC via USB. The error with the VKS file having the wrong version... is interesting to me. Here's a stupid question, when you were in the macro software, which sync button did you click, the Computer or the Gamepad?

Try getting to that same point, where you got the gamepad connected to the computer and you have the macro software open, and hit the icon of the Computer+Monitor and see what happens.
It said I got through the firmware upgrade ok but it didn't seem to do anything. You're supposed to have rapid fire after loading the .bin file right?

Anyway, I hit the Gamepad button. And it gave me the error. When I hit the computer button it freezes. I tried re-syncing and it says "Unable to Reset Device. Device Removed."

odingalt

Staff member
When you have your macro ready to be uploaded to the controller, click on the icon with the Computer+Monitor. Give this a try. (don't click on the icon of the gamepad this time). Please report your results.

Here's what may have happened: we uploaded a macro set to your controller in the shop that was compatible with built 0.8.1.0. Then we shipped your controller. You received it. When you click the icon of a gamepad, the software tries to download the macro set (also known as .VKS file) from your gamepad. If it thinks there's something wrong with the macro set it is retrieving from the gamepad, it'll give you an error.

So I would try sending a new macro set to the gamepad instead by clicking the Computer+Monitor icon. Part of the problem here is that to send a new macro set TO your controller, you click on the picture of a computer+gamepad.

To retrieve the macro set FROM your controller, click on the gamepad icon.

360_DUDE

When I click the computer+monitor after making sure the firmware is upgraded it says "The Viking Software has stopped working" then it gives me the option to close the program or debug. When I click close and try to reopen it the same thing happens. When I click debug it says windows will notify me if a solution is available then closes the program.

odingalt

Staff member
360_DUDE said:
It said I got through the firmware upgrade ok but it didn't seem to do anything. You're supposed to have rapid fire after loading the .bin file right?[color]

Nope. Firmware doesn't do anything other than talk to the macro software. The rapidfire comes from downloading a macro set from the macro software into the controller. Upgradng the firmware is rather unexciting, if it goes well, nothing really happens.

Can you try loading this .vks file I attached to this post into your software? It it loads without error, then try clicking the monitor/computer icon again to send this to your gamepad and post your results.

(When it crashes, is there any computer code or error messages or anything on your screen?)

Another thing to try in the macro software is click the gear (settings page) and click the check for update button just to make sure you got the 'latest latest latest' as the team was releasing multiple new versions daily, rather confusin.

360_DUDE

There's no check for updates button so I'm removing it and downloading it from you guys again. I'll post my new results afterward.

odingalt

Staff member
I think you had an old version, newest version has got a place to check for updates from within the software. Let us know how it goes.

odingalt

Staff member
When you remove it, you might wander into your c:\program files\ and also delete the folder "Viking360", and delete any icons. Before trying to install the new one again. Maybe even after uninstalling it's lingering on.

During setup it should say "This will install The Viking Software 0.8.1.4 on your computer..."

360_DUDE

*Disclaimer: Instructions are not completely idiot proof.

Ok I'm attempting to sync. How long does this usually take? it's been syncing for like 5 minutes.