Help With Install Needed PLEASE

StevenSteinbeck

EDIT: Ok everyone, I have fixed the programming problem. So no need to worry about that. My only problem is that my controller won't sync to 3 of my xbox's when 4 other controllers will. I have no idea how this could happen because before I installed the mod chip, it was working just fine. I don't even know where the IR receiver/sender chip is on the RF board. If someone could point that out, it may help because I might have dropped some sauder onto one of those points. ANY solutions are welcome. Please help! Thanks.

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member
Hi Steve,

Double and triple check the connections from the modchip to the USB jack. Make sure that when you close up the shell, the jack isn't shorting out against the Microsoft circuit board (it's a tight fit in there). You should have GND, VUSB, D+ and D- connected. Are you sure you've got those four wires going from the right place on the modchip to the right place on the jack? (Are you using the jack that came with the kit or your own custom solution) Also, here's a tidbit of info, the controller actually uses the batteries to power the USB on the modchip. If the batteries are very low it could cause a USB error. Try plugging in the play-and-charge cable or a fresh set of AA alkalines and see if that helps?

Does Windows say anything when you connect like device-not-recognized error? The first time you plug in it should say installing driver for XBOX360 Ragnarok as if you were installing a new device but after that it'll just connect with the windows USB connect noise. Keep us posted!

StevenSteinbeck

Hi Steve,

Double and triple check the connections from the modchip to the USB jack. Make sure that when you close up the shell, the jack isn't shorting out against the Microsoft circuit board (it's a tight fit in there). You should have GND, VUSB, D+ and D- connected. Are you sure you've got those four wires going from the right place on the modchip to the right place on the jack? (Are you using the jack that came with the kit or your own custom solution) Also, here's a tidbit of info, the controller actually uses the batteries to power the USB on the modchip. If the batteries are very low it could cause a USB error. Try plugging in the play-and-charge cable or a fresh set of AA alkalines and see if that helps?

Does Windows say anything when you connect like device-not-recognized error? The first time you plug in it should say installing driver for XBOX360 Ragnarok as if you were installing a new device but after that it'll just connect with the windows USB connect noise. Keep us posted!

So, to answer a few questions, yes, All of the connections from the modchip to the programming jack are still on there. I am using the included 3.5mm programming jack that came with my purchase. Nothing shorts out because I put a piece of electric tape over the back of te programming jack and I got the same results. Yes, all of the wires are going to the right place. There is a weird error I get when I connect my controller to my computer. Here is a pic of it: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/528/img0793m.jpg/ I think that is the problem, but I have no idea what is causing it. EDIT: Just updated the controller to v1.3 it was on 1.1. I have no idea how it spontaneously connected but led 3 and 4 were flashing as they should so I updated it. So now comes to the weirdest part. It won't sync with my xbox. I have tried a plug n play cable, and I have tried new batteries. It's not my first time syncing an xbox controller lol. Are there any spots on the motherboard I should check and make sure I didnt accedentally put sauder on? If so, what spot/chip should I check? Thanks

Last edited:

StevenSteinbeck

Hi Steve,

ok, I have fixed the programming problem. So no need to worry about that. My only problem is that my controller won't sync to 3 of my xbox's when 4 other controllers will. I have no idea how this could happen because before I installed the mod chip, it was working just fine. I don't even know where the IR receiver/sender chip is on the RF board. If someone could point that out, it may help because I might have dropped some sauder onto one of those points. ANY solutions are welcome. BTW I am an expert at sautering/soldering and also welding so I know that none of my connections are loose/not on the correct pin. Please help! Thanks.

40_ounce

Can you post pics of your install? I know it would be a pain in the a$$ but have you tried taking the chip and all the wires off the board then re syncing?

odingalt

Staff member
Can you post pics of your install? I know it would be a pain in the a$$ but have you tried taking the chip and all the wires off the board then re syncing?

Yeah unfortunately this is where I would start. Going back to square 1 just to make sure the controller will sync with no chip in it. Stupid question did you use electrical tape and not scotch tape on the back of the modchip?

StevenSteinbeck

Yeah unfortunately this is where I would start. Going back to square 1 just to make sure the controller will sync with no chip in it. Stupid question did you use electrical tape and not scotch tape on the back of the modchip?
So should I take the wires off the chip or the wires off the microsoft xbox 360 controller RF board?

40_ounce

Take the wires off the controller and try to sync. I just looked at the pics you posted make sure that none of the wires are touching each other. It looks like you have to much bare wire. you only need to expose a little bit of wire when soldering to the controller board and Ragnarok chip.

StevenSteinbeck

Take the wires off the controller and try to sync. I just looked at the pics you posted make sure that none of the wires are touching each other. It looks like you have to much bare wire. you only need to expose a little bit of wire when soldering to the controller board and Ragnarok chip.
Alright, the controller is bad. Wouldn't sync with all wires removed. Good thing I have another matrix 2 controller. I'm installing now

odingalt

Staff member
That's bad luck! It's been known to happen though. We go through hundreds of controllers, and I can tell you that sometimes we've taken brand new controllers out of the packaging only to find out they don't sync or won't even power up.

You might also scout around the small IC's looking for some solder bridging somewheres. Maybe a small ball of solder fell off and rolled into a nook and got stuck or something. Sometimes taking Q-tip and alcohol and cleaning off any gooey solder stuff could help too.

StevenSteinbeck

That's bad luck! It's been known to happen though. We go through hundreds of controllers, and I can tell you that sometimes we've taken brand new controllers out of the packaging only to find out they don't sync or won't even power up.

You might also scout around the small IC's looking for some solder bridging somewheres. Maybe a small ball of solder fell off and rolled into a nook and got stuck or something. Sometimes taking Q-tip and alcohol and cleaning off any gooey solder stuff could help too.
UPDATE: Ok, I first tested if this controller would sync to my xbox. Success. I then installed the wires coming from the controller mother board first. Tested if it would sync. Success. I then Installed the wires to the ragnarok chip and put everything in place. Tested if it would sync. Fail. I then opened the case and every wire was still in place properly. I then unsoldered everything and tested if it would sync sync. Fail. I am absolutely sure when I installed the wires and took them off, I did not hit anything I wasn't supposed to, or anything like that. The other controller acted the same way, but I thought eventually a controller might go bad. I have absolutely no idea how this is happening and help would be appreciated. By the way, batteries were replaced, battery pack was secure, and all solder points were tight and locked in.

Last edited:

40_ounce

I don't know if the Ragnarok chip would do anything to stop your controller from syncing. Can you post pics of your install but this time try to take better pics with better lighting and both sides of the controller.

StevenSteinbeck

I don't know if the Ragnarok chip would do anything to stop your controller from syncing. Can you post pics of your install but this time try to take better pics with better lighting and both sides of the controller.
Well right now, the ragnarok chip is uninstalled because the controller won't sync. It seems pointless to re-install it to a non-syncing controller because there would be no actual purpose. Odingalt, has this ever happened to you? Ive installed 2 different mod chips on 2 different controllers and I get the same result. Ive even swapped the chips on the motherboards to just check and I still get the same result.

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member
I don't know if the Ragnarok chip would do anything to stop your controller from syncing. . .

Nope, because we sell plenty of these every month and we don't have this sync'ing problem that you're having. Our techs use the same PDF instructions we supply publicly.

odingalt

Staff member
Well right now, the ragnarok chip is uninstalled because the controller won't sync. It seems pointless to re-install it to a non-syncing controller because there would be no actual purpose. Odingalt, has this ever happened to you? Ive installed 2 different mod chips on 2 different controllers and I get the same result. Ive even swapped the chips on the motherboards to just check and I still get the same result.

No we have not had this problem, we've sold somewhere around 150 XBOX 360 modded controllers with this chip installed, the techs have not reported any issues with sync'ing once this chip has been installed.

My best guess is that if you could take some really nice hi res pics (or even use a scanner if you have one) of both sides of this controller circuit board you are trying the install on, we could find something on the board that needs cleaned up :) It's possible that you had too high of heat on your iron and damaged one of the diodes on the XBOX360 circuit board? This could cause some quirkiness with the buttons but we haven't had this problem on our controllers. Could either be heat too high, or soldering iron left on soldering point for too long. Though for the most part the circuit boards are pretty robust unles you are using an ol' big non-adjustable dirty soldering iron like the kind people use to solder speaker wires in the trunk of their cars or something.

StevenSteinbeck

Well my soldering iron is 45W, not sure what you would consider overpowered. My soldering iron also has a very small tip, almost the size of pencil lead, and I tried to not keep it on for too long. I will get on the photos when I get home and put them up as soon as possible. The pics will be 1080p if you were wondering about the resolution.