Homefront Review

NYjetsNY1

So far it has gotten bad ratings by the general public. Not only that but only $40 on amazon, a lot of people still say it isn't worth it.

NYjetsNY1

WetterThanWater said:
I guess it all depends on taste. Coincidentally, most of the people who said they liked it, play battlefield :lol:

I'm basically a cod dude, but I am SICK of black ops. I'm gonna play killzone3 + socom 4 on ps3 till cod 8 on xbox360

odingalt

Staff member
WetterThanWater said:
I guess it all depends on taste. Coincidentally, most of the people who said they liked it, play battlefield :lol:

This is good info to know - since personally I prefer battlefield to COD series. (Call me old fashioned)

I haven't played any online, but campaign is fun. Good story, controls take a little getting used to, and graphics are slightly sub-par at best.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

here is my review.

COD+BATTLEFIELD=homefront
its one of the best FPSes i have played this year. this game actually competes with CoD4 in my opinion. this game has the same controls as Call of duty(default layout) and it is WAY more balenced than CoD.

NYjetsNY1

NEpatsNE1 said:
here is my review.

COD+BATTLEFIELD=homefront
its one of the best FPSes i have played this year. this game actually competes with CoD4 in my opinion. this game has the same controls as Call of duty(default layout) and it is WAY more balenced than CoD.

It has a 2 and a half star on amazon.

"The reality is that the single player gameplay is ripped straight off of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and has a story that will strongly remind the player of Half Life 2 but without the aliens, depth of story, or characters that actually make you care. The multiplayer is forgettable, me-too, and neutered for the purpose of sticking it to the secondhand market.

If you like the Modern Warfare versions of CoD, you'll be just fine playing Homefront. The controls are very similar and the on screen displays, indicator, and health management are absolutely identical. I noted no glitches or anything else, hence the two stars; I never had any issues running the game (it has one patch you will need to apply from XBL).

The single player campaign is an absolute ripoff. It took me all of four hours, and I am hardly a great gamer. There just wasn't much substance to it; while it has a good progression from mission to mission, there is ultimately no final resolution (gotta make room for a sequel) and just leaves you feeling like you've accomplished nothing. The guns are just thrown in willy-nilly with zero understanding of how firearms actually work or how combat units would be equipped. A single unit having ACRs with backup flip-up iron sights and no optic, the KRISS Super-V, and M16/M4 variants all at once? No Kalashnikovs to speak of despite the story demanding that North Korea has become a world power via the reuniting of the Korean peninsula? Moreover, ammo management is seriously broken; while I didn't find myself having to melee my way through an enemy position, I find it curious that I couldn't pick up ammunition from an M16 or ACR when I had an M4, and they all use the same ammunition in the same STANAG style mags. The developers clearly got all their firearm knowledge from CoD and Future Weapons and didn't so much as even read Wikipedia for background. The story itself is interesting (fighting a guerrilla campaign in US suburbs), but the story requires so much suspension of disbelief that you might as well be fighting purple blooded aliens on orbiting installations intended to protect against a bizarre spore based life form.

As far as multiplayer goes, it's nothing special. Retail copies include a code to unlock exp levels above lvl 5, if you bought it used, too bad, buy the code online from XBL. This means any secondhand owners get less value from the game unless they pay the developer something; this is a new and novel way to maintain a revenue stream even in the secondhand market, but it's silly to think that this game will still be played multiplayer in six months. But if you're buying it thinking you can trade it in later, expect to get even less than the usual pittance due to this.

In short, because you won't be getting a long playtime out of it...

The single player campaign is 1/3 as long as it should be. Unless you plan to go multiplayer, it won't justify it's own price.
The multiplayer isn't novel enough to justify buying it for that, and the extra code means it won't have the same attraction to others, so it won't be around all that long.

They want $60 for this? They didn't put the money into single player, their code means they expect to get paid by secondhand buyers, and they didn't add anything else novel or unique.

If you want this for single player, wait until you can get it for $10. If you want it for online multiplayer, get one of the CoD:MW games; they're more widely played and they did it better anyway. I expected at least a few weeks of diversion out of Homefront. It didn't even keep me for a weekend. "

Seems like if you just want it for multiplayer + liked MW + MW2 you'll like homefront. It looks like it'll get boring fast though.