How hard is it to change the shells?

I have ordered a new shell so that I can make a custom controller. I originally was going to make a standard Rapidfire controller, but I love my Viking Macro Controller so much that I am tempted to get the cheapest one I can, and move all the guts into the other shell.

I know that I will have to drill 6 new tac switch holes, but will I have to purchase new tac switches for this project, or will the ones coming out of the original controller transfer over well? My guess is that I would be better off getting 6 new tac switches, but wanted to make sure.

Any advice that you can provide in this adventure is greatly appreciated. Here is a youtube video of the shell I bought. The video is for their modded controller, but like I said.. I want my Viking, just with a new look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2A-tdp5Ezo

Ben

I would highly recommend you do not attempt to change the shell on your Viking. You should either contact Fredrow (if our in the US) or me (if your in Europe).

You'll be dealing with about 12 wires just to get the controller apart then you will need to reassemble the controller being careful not to pinch any wires and certain bits of the plastic on the shell need trimming in order to make it fit, then you need to re-attach all the tact switch wires which is not the easiest job in the world...

Also you WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

Fredrow

+1 for Ben's response.....

There is a reason why Viking360 doesn't sell DIY kits of the Macro boards.....
;)

I personally have destroyed 2 macro boards because I was not taking my time during the installation of them.... That was one expensive learning curve to go through.....

I know most people who will read this will think, "but he is just talking about switching shells." Well that is true, but that is the hardest part in my option.

So if you don't feel confident in your electronics/modification skills then don't be ashamed to ask for help!!
:) It's better to get help, then to destroy your macro controller.... Trust me on this one, mane!!!!

odingalt

Staff member
Yes these boards are difficulty level 11 on a scale from 1 to 10. Honestly I will never design something so ambitious ever again in my lifetime, as this XBOX 360 macro modchip. This thing is a frankenstein. I have learned my lesson! :D

So I bit the bullet and ordered my second Viking 360 controller today. I also sent a PM to Fredrow to check on that end. Still not sure if I will give this a go myself or not. I have been looking for a good hobby, and this could be a fun/rewarding one... I will let everyone know once I figure this out... but I will definitely be posting pictures of this beast when it is done!!