Im having a problem with my viking on parallels for mac

J0eyyyD

Ok so ive been with viking for a while now, i have 2 Viking macro controllers, both work fine, ive been using a PC to set up my macros and stuff, but now im getting rid of the PC, so i recently bought Parallels for Mac to run Windows 7. Ive downloaded the Viking software, Windows 7 does recognize my controller, but when i hold start to go into boot mode, the lights dont blink anymore, they stay frozen, In the opposite direction of the lights do when you hold start. So the Viking Software and Firmware downloaded dont recognize my controller, but Windows 7 does... Am i missing something here cause it worked fine on a PC but now it dont work on a mac thats running windows... Please help.. Greatly appreciated.

NYjetsNY1

I have this problem too. It really stinks, it does. Parallels + VM Ware Fusion = no viking360 [For Macro Controller, the old ones VM Ware Fusion actually worked]. It has to do with the HID Bootloader, I tried to screw around with VMWARE/Parallel settings and a ton of different things, but these programs block HID Bootloaders. There is a way around this, but I just can't figure out how. Neither can anyone else at viking360.

There is a way around it, try to contact Parallels support line, they may be able to help. Tell them the controller HID Bootloader isn't recognized. Something allong those lines. It would greatly help me if Parallels/Vmware worked because I have all Macs and my windows cpu's are horrific, but that is all I have for now.

J0eyyyD

Yeah same here, Macs are new and fast, My pc is still on windows XP . Sooner or later i hope they find a loophole... So it has nothing to do with the Viking? its parallels and VM? how about bootcamp.. or else ill give them a call.

NYjetsNY1

I haven't tried bootcamp. My hard drive wouldn't partition for some darn reason.

Give parallels a call, see if you can somehow get it to detect the controller, basically Parallels + Vmware tell the controller to go to the mac, which refuses to detect it because it is a windows HID Bootloader device. Its sort of complicated.

Try calling parallels first, it is way more convenient then boot camp. Boot Camp is another option though.

J0eyyyD

yeah parallels is awesome, windows 7 is awesome, but i cant live without a mac. Its so frustrating i was sitting here all night trying everything, well atleast it isnt the viking ..

NYjetsNY1

Controller is perfectly fine, not viking360's fault, like I said parallels is basically rejecting the controller. It thinks it is a mouse so it automatically hooks it up to the Mac, and then the Mac is supposed to then reconfigure it to windows. The controller isn't a mouse so this process goes haywire and then idk the rest. Give parallels a call, let me know the fix, it would greatly help me out. Then I can sell my junk windows computers...

Remmnever

Damn this sucks. I am buying a used Macbook tomorrow (Black 2.4ghz 2008 model) I was already planning on buying parallels so I could use the viking software and sell my netbook. What a bummer. Are you guys running the newest OSX and parallels?

NYjetsNY1

Yes, Yes.

I am sure a call to parallels / Vmware (I prefer VM ware but whatever floats your boat) will solve this. Write exactly the steps and stuff you need to do to fix this, it would greatly help me as well as at least 10+ people.

Remmnever

So I've been doing some research and Boot Camp should work with the Viking360 macro software. According to this http://guides.macrumors.com/A_Beginner's_Guide_to_Running_Windows_on_a_Mac site
"All Windows programs and hardware will run within boot camp without problem ".

Now another cool thing is you can run boot camp and parallels or vm ware at the same time. So you can use parallels or vw ware to boot the boot camp partition of windows into the virtualization software engine within the os so you don't need to reboot.

Hopefully I'll get my macbook tomorrow but someone else can test this out and see if it works until I get mine all set up.

NYjetsNY1

Let me know if that works, but I don't think VMware / Parallels will open boot camp with boot camp's options, it will still have the HID blocking unless you completely boot up into windows (my guess).

NYjetsNY1

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
what about partitioning the c drive then installing windows on that partiton?

Do macs even have a c drive? I don't think so, just "Macintosh HD" which I can't partition. I guess I could get an external hard drive...

Remmnever

When you install windows through boot camp it creates a separate partition for windows only. This is why all windows software and hardware work in boot camp. But like I said theoretically you can boot the windows partition of boot camp with parallels or vm ware without rebooting and all the software and hardware should still work. Best of both worlds.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Remmnever said:
When you install windows through boot camp it creates a separate partition for windows only. This is why all windows software and hardware work in boot camp. But like I said theoretically you can boot the windows partition of boot camp with parallels or vm ware without rebooting and all the software and hardware should still work. Best of both worlds.
yes....see i dont have a mac so i cant tell you........however i do have a windows and linux partition on my computer

J0eyyyD

Ok heres an update, i finally installed Windows 7 on bootcamp, and IT DOES recognize the viking controller so i am extremely happy, and i will also recommend BootCamp over Parallels now that its installed.

Remmnever

J0eyyyD said:
Ok heres an update, i finally installed Windows 7 on bootcamp, and IT DOES recognize the viking controller so i am extremely happy, and i will also recommend BootCamp over Parallels now that its installed.

Cool, I thought so. Now you should be able to run the bootcamp partition in parallels without rebooting and it should still recognize the viking controller.

Remmnever

I ended up getting a new Macbook Pro 13" but I need to find my windows disc before I can do the boot camp stuff. I also need to get the software for parallels. So I should be able to try this all out next week. I'm still trying to learn how to use this Mac for now. So far I'm loving it though.