Im ready for WAR!

TecHunter

These are the Mod chips I designed back in 2008. They are prgrammable, and still working with the MW3 :)

V. 1.0
TecHFire 1.JPG

V. 2.0

TecHFire2.JPG

odingalt

Staff member
Nice, thanks for sharing the pics. We lost all our good hobbyists when we started selling the macro controller (and stopped selling DIY kits :-( )

odingalt

Staff member
Now that I've determined that Microsoft has pretty much retired the Matrix2 modchip, I'm not completely certain what I'm going to do. It's very likely we will be bringing back the Thor's Hammer and Odin's Raven, which would mean bringing back what are known to our regulars as the old purple modchips. Our XBOX360 controller lineup in order from least awesome to most awesome (read: price):

Tyr's Hand
Thor's Hammer
Odin's Raven
Ragnarok
The Viking (Macro)

The old purple modchips are, well, an old design but still come with USB programmability. The purple chip is what is used in Tyr's Hand, Thor's Hammer and Odin's Raven. Some people really like that set up. If we start selling those purple modchips as DIY again, the price would be cheaper than the DIY XBOX360 Ragnarok modchip.

Basically I'm burned out on this business. I have to design a flexboard-type modchip if I want to install Ragnarok on a CG/CG2 circuit board. I'd rather just start selling Thor's Hammers and Odin's Ravens again so I don't have to continually be inventing new modchips all the time. It gets old after awhile. Sadly the Thor's Hammer and Odin's Raven have most of the features of the new modchip, minus the ability to support the five different button layouts. It's on the old "mod toggling" setup though. But again, some people preferred that a lot. We had huge customer backlash when we stopped selling those two controllers.

seanviking

so if this happenes and microsft switches to matrix 2 modchip will the ragnarok not work and become useless or is that what the ragnarok has?

xKiLLa CaM

Useful Poster
Now that I've determined that Microsoft has pretty much retired the Matrix2 modchip, I'm not completely certain what I'm going to do. It's very likely we will be bringing back the Thor's Hammer and Odin's Raven, which would mean bringing back what are known to our regulars as the old purple modchips. Our XBOX360 controller lineup in order from least awesome to most awesome (read: price):

Tyr's Hand
Thor's Hammer
Odin's Raven
Ragnarok
The Viking (Macro)

The old purple modchips are, well, an old design but still come with USB programmability. The purple chip is what is used in Tyr's Hand, Thor's Hammer and Odin's Raven. Some people really like that set up. If we start selling those purple modchips as DIY again, the price would be cheaper than the DIY XBOX360 Ragnarok modchip.

Basically I'm burned out on this business. I have to design a flexboard-type modchip if I want to install Ragnarok on a CG/CG2 circuit board. I'd rather just start selling Thor's Hammers and Odin's Ravens again so I don't have to continually be inventing new modchips all the time. It gets old after awhile. Sadly the Thor's Hammer and Odin's Raven have most of the features of the new modchip, minus the ability to support the five different button layouts. It's on the old "mod toggling" setup though. But again, some people preferred that a lot. We had huge customer backlash when we stopped selling those two controllers.

Dude that sucks. The Ragnarok is awesome. So glad I got one now if you guys eventually stop making them because of that :)

TecHunter

As long as you continue a programmable version you should be good. That's what people want, to be able to continue using it when newer games hit the market. And being able to really dial in your own settings, is priceless!

MJ23KB24

ModdingBros Leader
As long as you continue a programmable version you should be good. That's what people want, to be able to continue using it when newer games hit the market. And being able to really dial in your own settings, is priceless!

Totally agree! Thats one of the many reasons I bought mine.

odingalt

Staff member
so if this happenes and microsft switches to matrix 2 modchip will the ragnarok not work and become useless or is that what the ragnarok has?

Don't think of the technology being better or worse. Think of it as a series of cars. Honda makes the Accord every year. And every year the Accord is a little different. But it's still a Honda Accord.

So our Thor's Hammer, Odin's Raven and Ragnarok are all very similar. They are programmable, and they have a ton of features. They are our mid-sized sedan.

Then you have Tyr's Hand. This is like a Honda CRV hatchback (or whichever model that is). It's still programmable, but it only has a couple features.

Then you have our "The Viking" Macro controller. It's more like a Cadillac Escalade.

They'll all still keep on working, and we'll keep supporting them. We just have to come out with a new model every once in awhile just because of the way our manufacturing line works (or in our case, when Microsoft changes things up by changing their circuit board). Plus different customers are looking for different features and have different budgets. So it helps to have a bigger line of products, so people can find the product they want that meets the budget they are working with.

Just like cars! :)

Hope this analogy helped!

odingalt

Staff member
What I would like to know Odingalt is, what sets the Matrix2 apart from the rest of the Xbox controllers.

Like what's electrically different about matrix2? (Just want to be sure I understand the question as the answer could get quite lengthy and I'd hate to waste a lot of breath answering the wrong question :) )

PS3andCOD

Contributor
LOL PS3 changes way more, last I knew they were on the 6th new board. The thing is they don't go back and forth between CG and matrix, I'm pretty sure all of them are something called "common line". The viking mods that worked on CG1 were easily addapted for CG2, so the PS3 Ragnarok should adapt as well.