Is this true??

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Yes, the macro chip needs to be installed on a certain board. It might be possible to find a few more with the right board around, but they have about 500 controllers with the proper board left.

Krier023

Useful Poster
The problem is they will not have any more ever. Microsoft discontinued the controller board and started making new controllers. Viking may be working on it, but they would have to redesign the macro chip to work on the new controllers.

odingalt

Staff member
Even if we were able to get in a big shipment of the CG2 circuit boards, we will not be re-manufacturing the solderless socket required to make the install. With the solderless socket, components and assembly the modchip is almost $40. Our competitors are currently selling modchips that cost $2 to produce. We simply can't compete with the other shops with that big of a price difference in our raw materials. We will be producing a cheaper modchip this Fall, but it will function more like our Legacy controllers like the Tyr's Hand, Thor's Hammer or Odin's Raven.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Even if we were able to get in a big shipment of the CG2 circuit boards, we will not be re-manufacturing the solderless socket required to make the install. With the solderless socket, components and assembly the modchip is almost $40. Our competitors are currently selling modchips that cost $2 to produce. We simply can't compete with the other shops with that big of a price difference in our raw materials. We will be producing a cheaper modchip this Fall, but it will function more like our Legacy controllers like the Tyr's Hand, Thor's Hammer or Odin's Raven.
now this legit makes me sad lol ):

Krier023

Useful Poster
Odin, If there are more macro mod chips than cg2 boards that you have, Is there any way you could put them up for sale on the website?
Also with the new controller you will be making later on down the road, will there be any diy chips?
Just wondering, because I would love to install another chip.

NYjetsNY1

Odin, If there are more macro mod chips than cg2 boards that you have, Is there any way you could put them up for sale on the website?
Also with the new controller you will be making later on down the road, will there be any diy chips?

Yes Krier023, I believe we will be adding DIY chips. I can't tell you for certain.

And if you want a macro controller, you best be buying it ASAP. I think they will last till the end of 2012, but the longer you wait - the less we'll have, the more they will cost.

Krier023

Useful Poster
Yes Krier023, I believe we will be adding DIY chips. I can't tell you for certain.

And if you want a macro controller, you best be buying it ASAP. I think they will last till the end of 2012, but the longer you wait - the less we'll have, the more they will cost.

That just made my day :D. Even if its just speculation. It will be for the lesser macro chip that will work for the matrix2 boards though correct? Not the solderless macro chip that is in the controllers now.

NYjetsNY1

That just made my day :D. Even if its just speculation. It will be for the lesser macro chip that will work for the matrix2 boards though correct? Not the solderless macro chip that is in the controllers now.

Yeah, I believe it'll be similar to the legacies, possibly more advanced, not sure.

pnyxxpress

If the warranty covers parts wouldn't that mean warranty work may include a replacement chip that is no longer available?

odingalt

Staff member

Unfortunately, we actually have about 150-200 more CG2 controllers than we have modchips. When we purchased the "solderless" sockets, the sockets themselves were priced at $18 each minimum order 2,000. When we asked about a re-order, the supplier said minimum order 5,000. So unfortunately we won't be able to weasel a short-run of solderless sockets out of our supplier. Also as we continue to burn through these modchips we are finding quality problems from said supplier. About 5-10% of our modchips end up in the trash after they fail our thorough testing. We test the modchips about 4 different times throughout the install process to check for problems.

odingalt

Staff member
But it for some reason I have an extra macro modchip left over, you can have it for free Krier! lol :)

Krier023

Useful Poster
But it for some reason I have an extra macro modchip left over, you can have it for free Krier! lol
Haha dont worry about it. I was just wondering. When you create the prototypes, and then order the new mod chips, will you be ordering from the same supplier? Seems like they have fairly low reliability. After they know your loyal they bump the minimum up more than twice as many you bought in the first place. And I remember when you were originally making them you were complaining about the quality also.

odingalt

Staff member
I'm getting ready to buy. How does this effect the warranty.

We are maintaining enough stock of spare modchips and parts to cover warranty repairs. We have very few failed modchips.

What actually fails on us much more is the actual microsoft circuit board. We've had customers with very strange problems send back their controller - we immediately change out the modchip and send it back - customer has SAME PROBLEM - they send it back AGAIN - we change out the microsoft board - problem solved. Who would have guessed.