Is viking360.com Shutting down......?

Could somone please tell me is viking360.com shutting down cause here what it says on facebook.

The Viking360 website will cease selling legacy controllers immediately..dont worry, we will still support them as promised. The better news? You will be able to pre-order The Viking on or before Sept 3rd when we launch the new site at http://viking360.com/!

Itz CHARLEY

No no viking is rebuilding their website for the launch of the new controller. It is currently down and Viking will no longer sell the Hand, Raven, and Hammer

fathersin

I just bought a Tyr's Hand what are the new controllers going to have and are they going to use a new chip?

mavic

are they going to offer the chip in a diy? i hope they do... I had a blast doing the duo as a diy. lol.

bridgemux

Ben. said:
No DIY kits will be available I'm afraid.

Ben, why no DIY? or does this mean East Seattle will sell the DIY kits?

I've done a couple myself and was looking forward to a new DIY kit.

bridgemux

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:

there will be no dyi kits sold due to compitition.

Competition? Does Viking really think us DIY guys are going to put them out of business. I would like to know how much business they lost because of the DIY controllers I did? If anything it bought more traffic to this site. I'm sorry they see it this way.

What a shame! It was fun while it lasted. Time to find another DIY kit.

Ben

What has it got to do with competition? lol

They have put alot money into this project so they need to make up the costs and the easiest way of doing that is selling pre-modified controllers. DIY kit's make barely no profit so there is no advantage to selling them (remember this is a business). Besides if "The Viking" was sold as a DIY kit it would be at least £55-£60.

bridgemux

Ben. said:

They have put alot money into this project so they need to make up the costs and the easiest way of doing that is selling pre-modified controllers. DIY kit's make barely no profit so there is no advantage to selling them (remember this is a business). Besides if "The Viking" was sold as a DIY kit it would be at least £55-£60.

That was my point. I was never competition. So why tell me no DIY kit because of competition?

I'm not saying DIY kits is part of a good business plan, in fact it isn't a good business model at all. Viking only needed to say no DIY because we lost money on each one, not this BS about competition. The last thing I want is a product from a company that goes out of business. Half the reason I was telling people to go with the Viking controllers was they had the closest thing to an OEM product out there (still do). Not one of these 'fly by night' RF PIC chipped controllers. I'll continue to send people this way if they want I finished controller.

I still like doing things myself so I'll look at other kits out there. There's no way it will ever be as good as Vikings but what other choice do I have.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

bridgemux said:
Ben. said:

That was my point. I was never competition. So why tell me no DIY kit because of competition?

I'm not saying DIY kits is part of a good business plan, in fact it isn't a good business model at all. Viking only needed to say no DIY because we lost money on each one, not this BS about competition. The last thing I want is a product from a company that goes out of business. Half the reason I was telling people to go with the Viking controllers was they had the closest thing to an OEM product out there (still do). Not one of these 'fly by night' RF PIC chipped controllers. I'll continue to send people this way if they want I finished controller.

I still like doing things myself so I'll look at other kits out there. There's no way it will ever be as good as Vikings but what other choice do I have.
Wait a couple months they might unveil a DIY kit

Krier023

Useful Poster
A diy kit would be cool. on vikings facebook, i think i saw odin say that "The Viking" was a mostly solderless install.

odingalt

Staff member
This install is generally less challenging than the old purple legacy Viking modchip. Not sure how install times will stack up on this new macro modchip compared to the old one, as we are still working on the assembly line and haven't gone into full assembly mode yet. What I can say is no more trace/via hole scraping and no more soldering directly to traces/via holes! What does add a lot of time to this install are all the wires for the tac switches, LED add-on board, the Play-n-charge port. Along with drilling and attaching the tac switches which is always a joyous and time consuming task.

The old legacy modchips and legacy software was easy and cheap to produce. We could produce in small quantities when they were needed. I wrote 100% of the microcontroller software in my spare time over a period of 7-8 months, making improvements every time (wish I could do it all over again). I contracted out the windows interface for the custom hex editor after specifying the details, formats, protocols and functions that would be used. But it was generally a simple project for the contractor and didn't break my piggy bank. It just seemed to make sense to sell DIY and also have affiliate shops selling their own custom controllers with our chips. People who weren't savvy with a soldering iron could buy from one of us, and we had a good community going for people who love the hobby. Unfortunately the only real thing missing from the picture was not being able to release all my software as open-source. As soon as I do, every kid running a mod shop in his garage (and not paying federal taxes, I remind you) would still my hard work and start selling Viking clones.

That's what really ruins this whole thing is the other mod shops. Every time somebody buys a mod from places like EvilControllers it makes me want to throw up in my mouth, because we all know they are still running 99 cent 8-pin DIP-package PIC chips in their controllers. Somebody told me once that they opened up an EvilController and they didn't even solder the wire to the legs of the PIC chip - just just wire-wrapped it. It's probably just rumor, but I wouldn't doubt that poor of quality does come from some of the other mod shops out there. So, I thought I could invent some superchip that would cost the same as the old Viking that would REALLY trounce the competition and once-and-for-all I could convince people to stop wasting their money at the other mod shops. Well... the biggest problem with this plan is uncontrollably inflating costs of the project as we got going...

The new mod chip is about 800% more expensive to produce than the old chip. Our Viking macro modchip project cost is around $125,000. We literally need every dollar we can get to pay off this project. That means we can't afford a single chip going out the 'back door' in the form of DIY kits, freebies or to affiliate shops. I would have to charge in the neighborhood of $70 per modchip just to break even. Was the project supposed to be this expensive when we started? Hell no. But we got jacked up by most of our parts distributors, dollars at a time, until pretty soon the project cost had inflated by about 50% and we were beyond the point of no return.

Do I have second thoughts about retiring the old purple modchip? Sure I do. Old Purple still beats the pants off every other rapidfire chip out there and it probably had plenty of life cycle left. If I had known how much the new modchip would end up costing this much, I probably would have just stayed with the old chip. But here we are and I might as well make the msot of it by blowing the lid off of all the games on xbox live, not just first-person-shooters. I can't wait to unleash this bad boy on the world.

v360Reflex

Awesome! and i cant wait to get this bad boy for x-mas! but that is true about Evil controllers and the BEST thing about this new controller price wise is that its still cheaper than evil's "Master Mod" well they should change that controller name lol! when i herd rumors about Viking's new Viking Controller i thought it'd be atleast $300.00 but Thankfully its $200.00 which is AWESOME! which i think is generous so thanks Viking For everything ! you guys are TRULY the BEST Modded Controller Company EVER! words cant describe i dont know what I'd do without my Viking Odin's Raven Controller! and soon to get The Viking! what a dream come true this shall be! rapid fire= any button . making your own macros.. JUST AMAZING! this really will BLOW MINDS!~! people i Know from the forums on my XBox Live Friends List (not saying any names) say that this controller they dont think they will get they say they sum what think its a waste of money because all thats added is FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE MACROS! im like.. WOW! you guys just dont understand WHAT POWER THIS CONTROLLER WILL HAVE :D ! but hey not gunna lie Odin's Raven is A GREAT GREAT CONTROLLER! but i am indeed going to sell it to a friend for $150.00 lol :( im going to miss my Blue Blood XCM Shell with Blue Thumb-sticks which i got from East-Seattle-Electronics.com sadly they are not going include Fredrow on the new controller.. cuz i wanted another XCM shell.. but that be more than 200.00 im guessing.. so yeah.. but I REALLY REALLY! HOPE theres going to be NEW Limited Addition Controllers come around Christmas :D (like i've said before) lol i have full confidence in this new mod! when it comes to Modz i know where to buy :D i I RECOMMEND The Viking TO ALL Customers :D.. to top this all off i simply CAN NOT WAIT FOR well 2 things.. Black Ops and The Viking to arrive at my house on X-mas! :arrow: :idea: :eek: :cool: :D

bridgemux

odingalt said:
<SNIP>

The new mod chip is about 800% more expensive to produce than the old chip. Our Viking macro modchip project cost is around $125,000. We literally need every dollar we can get to pay off this project. That means we can't afford a single chip going out the 'back door' in the form of DIY kits, freebies or to affiliate shops. I would have to charge in the neighborhood of $70 per modchip just to break even. Was the project supposed to be this expensive when we started? Hell no. But we got jacked up by most of our parts distributors, dollars at a time, until pretty soon the project cost had inflated by about 50% and we were beyond the point of no return.

Do I have second thoughts about retiring the old purple modchip? Sure I do. Old Purple still beats the pants off every other rapidfire chip out there and it probably had plenty of life cycle left. If I had known how much the new modchip would end up costing this much, I probably would have just stayed with the old chip. But here we are and I might as well make the msot of it by blowing the lid off of all the games on xbox live, not just first-person-shooters. I can't wait to unleash this bad boy on the world.

Thanks for chiming-in Odin. I completely understand where you're coming from. I still wish there was a DIY kit in the works but until you get some return on your investment I can see why there won't be one. It's also very clear why the old purple boards are no longer around. You don't want your own product effecting sales of the new one.

I for one will be watching out for videos of this new controller in action.

odingalt

Staff member
bridgemux said:

Thanks for chiming-in Odin. I completely understand where you're coming from. I still wish there was a DIY kit in the works but until you get some return on your investment I can see why there won't be one. It's also very clear why the old purple boards are no longer around. You don't want your own product effecting sales of the new one.

I for one will be watching out for videos of this new controller in action.

Hit the nail on the head. If we sell the old purple chip we'll never stand a chance at recouping our costs on the new chip because the old purple chip is still awesome lol

LaxWarrior

but ordin tyou are looking out for the consumer and thats why tons of people will buy this controller even after people bought he other one a day before this was annonced.

thank you for that

LAx!!!!!