Is viking360.com Shutting down......?

Jonny

odingalt said:
What I can say is no more trace/via hole scraping and no more soldering directly to traces/via holes! What does add a lot of time to this install are all the wires for the tac switches, LED add-on board, the Play-n-charge port. Along with drilling and attaching the tac switches which is always a joyous and time consuming task.

So does the new board is like the intensa fire board where it actually goes over the traces and it simply sits on-top and gets glued/soldered down? Or is that the complete opposite..
Any pictures of it?

PS3andCOD

Contributor
modded matt said:
here is a solution to everyone wanting a DYI kit.... sell it for $225, I bet the will stop asking.
That's what I was thinking. Although, you'd still be making about even money with the premodded ones at around $175. It would let the really hardcore kids do their own, but it would be impractical to buy DIY's, instal them, and sell them.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Jonny said:
odingalt said:
What I can say is no more trace/via hole scraping and no more soldering directly to traces/via holes! What does add a lot of time to this install are all the wires for the tac switches, LED add-on board, the Play-n-charge port. Along with drilling and attaching the tac switches which is always a joyous and time consuming task.

So does the new board is like the intensa fire board where it actually goes over the traces and it simply sits on-top and gets glued/soldered down? Or is that the complete opposite..
Any pictures of it?
No it's not that easy. It's probably a flex board though.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Actually it is a socket simular to the intensafire. Odingalt mentioned that to me. They sound very expensive though.

odingalt

Staff member
Gotta buy one and open the controller (and void your warranty) to find out for sure lol
:D

A few of the mods will get a DIY kit for their personal controller except for the mods wit no soldering skilz will get a regular preinstalled controller. Cuz they are mods and mods deserve something for all their patrolling around here.

Einar

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

odingalt said:
Gotta buy one and open the controller (and void your warranty) to find out for sure lol
:D

A few of the mods will get a DIY kit for their personal controller except for the mods wit no soldering skilz will get a regular preinstalled controller. Cuz they are mods and mods deserve something for all their patrolling around here.

Einar
you made me :D and :( at the same time LOL!!!

modded matt

lolz

ps2 and cod you may want to look at the open source project at acidmods. I guess you can call it a joint venture, as members from both acidmods as well as x-s have been working together to develop ps3 rapid fire on r1 RDC's working test code was just released. Its still under design, but something to keep an eye on if your a ps3 guy.

http://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php ... n.html#new

odingalt

Staff member
Hmm, it seems like it would be possible to invent a solderless, universal clip-on modchip for the PS3. I don't think it would be able to software auto-detect what version controller, but would rather probably have a little dip-switch bank on the modchip where the installer is expected to recognize which version PS3 motherboard he's installing the chip into.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
I will keep an eye on that, thanks matt. The PS3 controllers are working kinda like the 360 controllers have gone, there is only one type of controller you can buy brand new anymore. But they all work fundamentally the same, so the switches could allow you to use it in any controller.

odingalt

Staff member
According to RDC's pics on xbox-scene, it looks like there are three or four revisions of the same CPU in the PS3 controllers. The pinouts change slightly but it looks like they always are hooking up to the 'top' and right' rows of pins on that CPU.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Yeah, the points change on the different boards, but they all work the same. Not like the matrix boards with xbox. But they currently only sell the controllers that the PS3 intensafire works on, none of the olde ones are sold anymore.

odingalt

Staff member
The PS3 controllers are strange. Obviously there must have been some production cost savings to go with that type of a scheme for their controllers?

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Yeah, probably. The original controllers had very low quality sticks, both the plastic and the metal underneath... They wear out easy, and the plastic goes slimey. Then they added rumble... And improved the sticks again... I don't know what they've done with the latest one, I don't have one of them.