Library login failure?

Wolfie

Sorry, I don't know where else to put this.

I hit the library today. Clicked [LOGIN]. I got a certificate warning error (the certificate is for viking360.com or www.viking360.com, not library.viking360.com). So I accepted the SSL and entered an exception.

Now when I click [LOGIN] it just takes me to the home page. I am logged in there as it says "Welcome Mike ..." and I can access my account.

How do I get logged in so I can upload macros when I make them?

NYjetsNY1

Yeah this has been an issue for a while that's why all new macros have been posted in the forum don't know when odingalt will get the library fixed.

Wolfie

Ahh, ok.

At least I know its not ME that is broke :) I was clearing cookies, turning off plugins etc to see if it was some setting on my end. I don't have anything to contribute. Yet. I just wanted to get set up for when I do.

odingalt

Staff member
Macro library is a separate login entirely. Open a support ticket and request a username and login to the library.

odingalt

Staff member
Long story short. The library is hard-coded to want to do everything secure. But I moved the library to a subdomain. So the subdomain actually needs its own security cert. It seems ridiculous to buy a security cert just for transferring game macros. So I moved the library again to the following location:

http://www.viking360.com/library

Now when it forces it to SSL, it will be happy, since it can use the cert we have installed for Viking360. Give it a try?

Wolfie

If you purchase a wildcard SSl certificate, it will work on all subdomains of the primary domain. They allow you to use any number of subdomains with a single certificate and not have to purchase any more certificates. You can get them in unlimited and as small as 5 subdomains. We use them frequently so we can do site testing and work on customer's sites to set up a subdomains for testing purposes.

odingalt

Staff member
For some reason I had it in my head that I could note use wildcard SSL -- it's a brain fart but here's what happened.

We have a multi-store Magento installation, Viking360.com, VikingDigital.com, and some other domains (taht are going to expire shortly so we won't mention them). For un-named reasons we required each store to have a unique IP address. Wildcard certificate cannot be used for multiple domains and multiple IP's, had to install a separate cert for each IP/domain.

However in this case all I needed was a cert for that one subdomain for a wordpress installation in that directory. Wildcard cert definitely would have been an option.

So what do you charge by the hour? Just wanted to know if I am supposed to expect a bill from Wolfie Web Consulting -- you've been giving us good advice. :)

The vendor is working on the... uh-hem... ticketing system issue. You send us a gold nugget on that one but would rather not discuss it publicly. I haven't heard back but assuming that the piece of info you gave us today is going to help them track down the issue a lot faster, because otherwise, all I could send them was some URL links from e-mails and screenshots saying "Look! See!! I'm not crazy!" because at first they weren't even going to help without being able to reproduce the problem and frankly I couldn't figure out how to reproduce it. I'm fairly certain there is some problem with the way their extension handles multi-store installations. Every once in awhile a ticket throws out a random URL... sometimes you will get vikingdigital.com/helpdesk when you were supposed to get viking360.com/helpdesk and vice-a-versa.

Wolfie

So what do you charge by the hour? Just wanted to know if I am supposed to expect a bill from Wolfie Web Consulting -- you've been giving us good advice.
You can't afford me :) Its usually in the $150+ area an hour depending on client and work and been up to $250 an hour. No invoice en-route and none planned :)

The vendor is working on the... uh-hem... ticketing system issue. You send us a gold nugget on that one but would rather not discuss it publicly.

I wouldn't put that detail public either :)

Yea, sorry, I tend to be a very detail oriented guy and notice little things and I do tend to drive some people nuts. Sorry if I hit you with a lot all at once right before Black Friday. Odds are, once I finally get the controller delivered, I won't know what daylight is for days :)

Wolfie

Thats what the company bills. Wish it was what I actually make :)

IT, SQL and eCommerce consulting let alone custom programming work isn't cheap and its something you have to do a lot of learning to even begin doing. And I have been doing it for 13+ years. When I started in 1999 at this company, I had been tinkering non-professionally with web/html for about 3 years. We had two employees that made up the "web" department. We now have 25 staff members employed doing nothing but web development. Designers, programmers, Flash developers, video production staff, copy writers, SEO staff etc. That doesn't include the IT staff needed for the server room nor the sales staff. All in all, probably 40+ employees directly related to the web side of the business, the remainder is on-site support and custom PC sales. Currently 85% of the business revenue and virtually every job here are all directly attributed to the initial content management and eCommerce software I wrote starting in 1999 and have continued to evolve and expand since. There are a couple new programmers here that are developing a new generation of CMS/Cart and my system is set to sunset once the new system comes to fruit. And I can retire happy :)

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member
Thats what the company bills. Wish it was what I actually make :)

IT, SQL and eCommerce consulting let alone custom programming work isn't cheap and its something you have to do a lot of learning to even begin doing. And I have been doing it for 13+ years. When I started in 1999 at this company, I had been tinkering non-professionally with web/html for about 3 years. We had two employees that made up the "web" department. We now have 25 staff members employed doing nothing but web development. Designers, programmers, Flash developers, video production staff, copy writers, SEO staff etc. That doesn't include the IT staff needed for the server room nor the sales staff. All in all, probably 40+ employees directly related to the web side of the business, the remainder is on-site support and custom PC sales. Currently 85% of the business revenue and virtually every job here are all directly attributed to the initial content management and eCommerce software I wrote starting in 1999 and have continued to evolve and expand since. There are a couple new programmers here that are developing a new generation of CMS/Cart and my system is set to sunset once the new system comes to fruit. And I can retire happy :)

I was going to ask you about your job in a different thread. You sounded US-Based and I'm not surprised by the hourly rate. I work at an electric utility for an 8-5 job, and they pay anywhere from $250 to $400 per hour for business software consulting services, depending on how badly they've screwed up the project scoping document and contract.

You might think an industry that charges $250 must be in high demand. But I know a lot of starving software programmers that were never able to get a 'real' programming job out of college. Getting into software seems to be luck-of-the-draw. To get real chances at a job in the US, new candidates need to get a 4.0, and do it at a notable University that is heavily recruited by particular software companies. Otherwise don't bother getting a CS degree.

As with all industry "experience required", but the software job posting I've seen for computer programmers is insane. 10 years or more experience required minimum in most cases. There is no such thing as an entry-level software programmer job. Companies care not to build talent. Except maybe Microsoft but they recruit heavily out of Asia and India. (I used to live near the Microsoft campus in Redmond).