Motorola milestone/droid

PS3andCOD

Contributor
lol I know it's not the latest and greatest, but I just picked one up for cheap and I was wondering if anyone has any sugestions on rooting or aps? It's already been upgraded to gingerbread, I'm not sure if they rooted to do that or not. I've never had a phone at all before, but I figured this one was a decent one to start with. It's not on a contract so I can upgrade whenever I feel the need, but I can't afford one of the superphones right now.

Edit: I am just finding out that the milestone/droid thing makes a fair difference, I thought it was just a name change for different countries. This one is a milestone.

Last edited:

NYjetsNY1

I know a ton on phones. My first smartphone was the droid. The original.

The Droid > The Milestone for one big reason:

Unlocked Bootloader. That is huge.

The Droid is 100% software / kernel / firmware customizable.

The Milestone is not.

The Droid has a ton of developers writing software for it and such. The Milestone doesn't.

It's a shame you ended up with a milestone instead of the droid. That must explain why you picked it up cheap.

The original droid's 600 mhz processor downclocked to 550 mhz was overclockable to 1.2 ghz! Double!

I don't think you can with the milestone.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
****, that sucks... I'm pretty sure they only sold the milestones up here in Canada though... It has the same processor, 600MHz underclocked to 550MHz, so maybe you can... I'll deffinatly look into overclocking if it gets that much improvement though. Is there not a way to root and instal CFW then? I looked at that firmware you posted about and they do not officially support the milestone unlike the droid...

NYjetsNY1

Yeah the milestone is no way near as good as the droid because of the locked bootloader. That makes it so if you have any screw ups in installs, you have to SBF it.

All info can be found here: http://androidforums.com/milestone-all-things-root/

It seems there is some progress! You may even be able to overclock + get CM7 on your phone but it's no way as good as the original droid in terms of installs. **** my original droid, I was rooted, with custom firmwares installs etc with a one click app! Then CM7 = just install the rom via recovery. It was 10000x easier than what I have to go through on my droid x, since that bootloader is locked. I'm praying the droid bionic will have an unlocked bootloader...

Check the link and follow some guides, I think you may find your milestone can be overclocked, rooted, etc.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Thanks, that link is great. It looks like it may already be rooted, the guy told me the IT department at his work updated to 2.3 gingerbread... I haven't picked it up yet, but if that's true it was probably done useing the instructions from one of those threads there. I'm not sure if the OC app supports 2.3 though, so if I want to do that I may have to downgrade... I guess I'll find out for sure when I pick it up Saturday.

On a side note this is post 1500... That's a fair amount lol.

NYjetsNY1

Congrats man. If you notice under your name, instead of senior member, I made it contributor. I figured if anyone deserved a custom status other than mods and stuff, it would be you.

Also yes, I love androidforums. The people there are great. I'm sure you'll figure something out and be rooted + overclocked in no time. It's just a lot harder than the droid.

Krier023

Useful Poster
Yeah I love android forums too. completely spoon fed me through rooting my optimus v. Hopefully virgin mobile will be coming out with a good android soon. But ps3 once you get a recovery, its as easy as backing up, and flashing a new rom for your phone.

NYjetsNY1

Krier023, you have no idea about locked bootloaders... you mess one thing in recovery (wipe something too early, have a bad install [it happens it happend with CM7 on my dx some installs just mess things up even if you did everything right]) the phone won't go past the moto logo. Then you can't get into recovery so you have to go to bootloader then SBF the phone and wipe it all again and SBF's take a while as well.

It's a painful process. I hate locked bootloaders.

On my OG Droid, you mess one thing up, you'll just bootloop. And I'm pretty sure you can go straight to recovery by holding down X on the keyboard (something like that). Droid x? You bootloop and your screwed. SBF time. Bye bye data!

I basically back up everything using the app "MyBackup Pro"

It's awesome...

I'm pretty sure the optimus V has an unlocked bootloader. You don't realize how much you take that for granted till you get a locked bootloader phone. But now manufaturers are unlocking / selling unlocked phones. They finally listened to the android dev community.

If the droid bionic sells with an unlocked bootloader, nearly every developer is going to develop for it. It's gonna be amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krier023

Useful Poster
Wow i didnt realize there was that much a difference in locked/unlocked bootloaders. Pretty happy the optimus didnt have a locked bootloader. I still would have rooted it, but looks like I would have needed to do more research and work. Next phone I will probably get is the motorolla triumph when it comes out for virgin. Hopefully the bootloader isnt locked. sounds like a *****.

NYjetsNY1

Yep rooting = I need it lol. So many uses for it. Unlocked bootloaders also are pretty high on my list but I'm getting the bionic no matter what.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
lol thanks for the unique name. I'm picking up the phone tomorrow, I'll post back when I take a look at rooting and OCing it...

PS3andCOD

Contributor
lol so I ended up getting the phone tonight, and to my delight cyanogenmod is already installed. There goes all the work! Now I just need to OC, which is basically an app...

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Got it OCed now too, easy as finding the app. I went with 800MHz on the original voltage and it seems to be stable. I can always go even higher, but this way I don't use any more battery life at all.