my DIY progress so far

daverdfw

So about 30 minutes into my Rangarok install.

Photo%20Feb%2021%2C%208%2030%2034%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Feb%2021%2C%208%2030%2044%20PM.jpg

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

ModdingBros Representative
Nice. It may sound weird but i actually love to install chips. Its kinda my hobby. Ive done around 13 viking chip installs of all the mod chips viking has to offer. Also used to do 12f683 RF chips and Dreamcast VGA mods and overclocks with 40mhz crystial osillators. Good stuff. Im sure u will be doing the 3.5mm jack install? The hardest part is finding the exact spot to drill the hole in the case to get the proper clearence between where the rumbler plugs in and where the rumbler motor rest. there is very little room between the two. Looks good hope u decide to post your finished product! I still got one more ragnarok cg2 chip left in my stash to install!

odingalt

Staff member
Hey

Your work looks pretty good. A good investment to buy the multiple colors of 30 AWG wires. Wire is cheap and you can use it on all sorts of DIY electronic projects, will really help you out when troubleshooting later.

(Double check your VREF wire (purple wire), the exposed part of the wire looks a tad long where it connects to the square pad. )

Thanks for sharing

daverdfw

thanks, i got it back together, but had a hell of a time with the 3.5 jack. going to try and hook it up to the PC and make sure it works. Does this mod disable the sync button? because its not working now. Also i noticed even when i turn the controller off the player 3 and 4 LED's always stay on. is that right? thanks!

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

U might want to check your sync buttion solder joint. Make sure that your solder isn't overlapping the other two solder points off the sync connection. As for the LEDs try holding the tac buttion and pressing the A buttion then the directional down button while your holding the tac switch down. They should cancel out. If not then u need to re open your controller and check your connections. Its hard to get it all right the first time around. Just take your time and be very carful. Recheck all your solder points and make sure that there not connecting with any other metal points. Try to post pics of your final instillatons and I might be able to spot trouble points in your connections and give you pointers on how to fix them.

modded matt

no, it should not affect the sinc button, can you press it? if so, does it click? I have seen upon reassembly that the button can get out of place easily. you may have to pop it open and when closing close the top first, then pivot the bottom closed. I find if you push the top case down flat, this happens more often.

daverdfw

the button presses, i soldered the wire to the middle on that switch, unfortunately I am leaving today for a week, so i will have to pick it back up when I get home.

here are the pics of all the wires soldered

Photo%20Feb%2021%2C%209%2037%2034%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Feb%2021%2C%209%2037%2025%20PM.jpg

modded matt

a few things to note.
#1 can someone move this to the DIY section
#2 it looks like you may have bridged the sinc button contacts.
#3 the dpad wiring is an issue. the dpad has a center pivot point that presses firmly against the mobo, your dpad right wire is in the way.

Last edited:

daverdfw

touched up the sync solder but sync still isnt working, everything looks fine but not the mod isnt even recognizing modes. ugh,

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

Try un soldering the power pad to the chip then turn your controller on and see if the sync button works after that. If not u might of fried your sync on your controller rendering it usesless.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

Then there is a connection elsewere where it isnt' supposed to be or a bad solder job that needs touched up. U will have to go through and inspect all your wiring and toch up anything that looks like it may be an issue. These projects can be a major pain and even if it all looks perfect somewhere someting is causing it to bugar it up. If u also over solder something u can burn up the connection. Say u hold your soldering iron too long on a sensitive connection before u get your solder on you could of burned that connection up rendering the controller defective. I hope this isn't the case but just go through all your connections and really look at everything like wires might melt together causing cross connections, bad connections ect. I hope it works out for u just keep at it and take all the time u need. If you get discouraged just stop for the day and pick it up later.

daverdfw

so here is a update, i took the USB plug out, i think it broke when i was trying to remove it, and i checked everything now, the sync button works, and the player 3 and 4 LED's are on all the time, but when i hit the mod button and any other button , nothing happens, no LEDS blink, and i cannot get the player 3/4 to turn off now.

Last edited:

daverdfw

more progress, i fixed the wire for the mod button, now i think mods are working, when i pull LT to ADS the gun just kinda jitters, if i hold the LT and the mod button then ADS works, is that correct?

odingalt

Staff member
more progress, i fixed the wire for the mod button, now i think mods are working, when i pull LT to ADS the gun just kinda jitters, if i hold the LT and the mod button then ADS works, is that correct?

Uh, no.

Watch the basic and advanced rapidfire tutorial videos for Ragnarok on the Ragnarok support page to get an idea of how it's supposed to work.

daverdfw

Looks like I go total working,I need a replacement USB jack though, I broke it trying to remove it with hot glue on it. Any idea where i can get one ? Mouser ? Digikey?

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

Ask odin what type of jack. U might be able to find a compatible one at your local radio shack or on ebay for real cheap.