[NEW] Share your installation Tips and Tricks !

Fredrow

modded matt said:
dont tin your iron too much, cheap tips can be adversly affected by the chemicals in the tinning solution. if you clean it off on a sponge every time its used you should rarely need to use the tining solution

I haven't used any tinning solution before, but what I do is just keep a little bit of solder on my tip.

Fredrow

Here is a pic of soldering to the VIA holes after removing the solder mask with sandpaper![attachment=0:1pn54ius]IMG_0044.JPG[/attachment:1pn54ius]

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

hey fredrow...i dont know if im repeating anyone.....but i would recomend tinning the stripped ends of the wires(also anyone who says that i have no electronic experience is a retard my dad is an electrician and during the summer i work for him)

Fredrow

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
hey fredrow...i dont know if im repeating anyone.....but i would recomend tinning the stripped ends of the wires(also anyone who says that i have no electronic experience is a retard my dad is an electrician and during the summer i work for him)

Oh..Ok.... But to be honest, since we are working with 30AWG wire, you really do not have to tin the ends of the leads.

Here is another question, if I didn't just make this last comment, how do you know that I didn't tin the leads in the previous picture?

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Fredrow said:
M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:

Oh..Ok.... But to be honest, since we are working with 30AWG wire, you really do not have to tin the ends of the leads.

Here is another question, if I didn't just make this last comment, how do you know that I didn't tin the leads in the previous picture?
You can't tell

Fredrow

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
Fredrow said:
M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:

You can't tell

So if you can't tell, then why did you tell me that I needed to tin the ends my wires?? Was that comment suppose to prove that you know something about working on electronics??

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Fredrow said:
M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
You can't tell
So if you can't tell, then why did you tell me that I needed to tin the ends my wires?? Was that comment suppose to prove that you know something about working on electronics??
I wasn't telling you(sorry if it came out that way) I ment it more like a friendly sugestion

Fredrow

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
Fredrow said:
M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
You can't tell
I wasn't telling you(sorry if it came out that way) I ment it more like a friendly sugestion

Well I guess thanks for the tip..... But why do I need to tin the wires?

Fredrow

uXlider said:
Hi there,

it`s my second viking installation so far (only ordered 2 chips so far ... at this point ... thanks to ben for the deal)
but even on my second installation i`ve discovered a better way to do the installation.
so i thought about to make a thread where you can share your "viking installation experience".

I thinks it`s a pretty good idea to share any tips and tricks for the viking installation.
This way we will get a "easy way installation" who everybody will get benefits from and
it will make the D.I.Y. more attractiv for the people that actually think it`s difficult to
D.I.Y but don`t have the money to buy a ready soldered one.
Otherwise the very postive side-effect is ... a bigger community ... many ideas ... maybe better tools for the viking ...

So please share your Tips and Tricks ...

So here are mine Tips and Tricks so far (based on CG2 sleeper installation):

In my opinion for the most people it`s very dangerous and difficult to solder directly to the traces.
But it`s also very difficult to prepare the solder points (holes) with x-acto knife.
So i found a very good Tool to prepare the board for soldering to the holes.

I call it "fiberglass-rubber" i don`t know if there exits a specific word in english ... sorry im a german :(
it`s a "rubber" with fiberglass which is a pretty good tool to remove the "board isolation" very quickly .
In combination with a mini fluxer you will get very good results.
Just scratch the isolation off and take a little bit flux on the holes ... voila.

"The Preparation Tools":

Uploaded with http://imageshack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Results:

Prepare the viking chip before you attach it to the controller board,
because this will make life much easier ;)

Ready soldered board:

To fix the "open" traces and hold the wires in place i prefer nail varnish ... yes nail varnish,
just rip it off your wife, girlfriend however it will do a pretty good job ;)

Fixed traces and wires :

To get a better chip fitting i prefer to cut the edges of the places shown below.
This way your chip will get a good basement and the shell will close completely.

Better fitting :

These are my Tips and Tricks so far ... so please share yours ;)

[sorry for bad english]

So yesterday I was at my local ELEC-SHOP, just browsing around wasting some and then I had an idea! I was gonna give that fiberglass pen another try, and the only reason being is because so many people have already recomened the use of this pen so maybe it was worth another go at it!!!

I LOVE IT........ I'm not sure why I hated it so much the first time I used it, but I did!!! I used it this morning and I freaking loved it!! I like it way better than using the sandpaper!!!!!

Fredrow

Never mind, I remember why I didn't like that darn fiber-glass pen.... After doing some work on a controller I set my arm down on my workbench and ended up getting a grip of fiberglass pieces injected into my forearm..... It was the exact same thing that happened to me last time too.... I guess maybe I just need to remember to clean up right after I use the FG pen each time!!!! :roll: