Questions regarding shipping

fairhavensand

My two sons are considering purchasing the Viking controllers. We were wondering if the shipping could be combined for the two controller as $62.00 for ground shipping seems a little too steep.

If this is the wrong place to post this question I apologize. We searched the site but were unable to find a way to contact by Email or phone.

fairhavensand

odingalt

Staff member
Which country or state do you live in? We can double check the shipping calculator on the shopping card, but international shipping is typically very expensive. Each controller weighs about 1lbs 10oz with all the packaging and accessory.

odingalt

Staff member
Ok there is definitely a bug with the shopping cart. I selected two controllers and UPS ground, and made up a ZIP code in San Diego, and it quoted something like $28. Then on the checkout page it suddenly changed to $56. Will forward the issue to the web team and post here when it is resolved.

It looks like the UPS API is correctly calculating the shipping, but then they go ahead and multiply the number that the UPS API comes up with times the number of controllers in the cart (which is incorrect - it should calculate the total weight of the parcel and base the shipping cost on actual costs from UPS, based on that total weight)

Thanks for coming in to post the bug.

fairhavensand

Thanks again for the quick response. I went to bed shortly after I posted the last message... so I didn't see your response until now. We'll keep watching this subject thread for any new information regarding the shipping calculator.

If you have the time to respond again:

1. Does the controller work with Red Dead Redemption multi-player?

2. Does the controller have "no-slow" with regard to the sticks or are they stock Microsoft slow-turn versions?

3. Is there a "wired" version or are they all wireless controllers?

Thanks in advance.

Fairhavensand

odingalt

Staff member
Our web gurus worked this morning and reported to me that the shipping issue should be fixed now.

1. Hmm I have not played Red Dead Redemption to see if our controller does anything special with the game.
2. These are just the stock Microsoft sticks on a stock Microsoft circuit board/controller.
3. They are all wireless (our macro mod chip only works with a specific kind of circuit board from stock wireless controllers)

Sorry these are probably not the answers you were looking for :D

obo

Hey, in regards to your question about Red Dead Redemption. I used to have an Odin's raven as well as red dead redemption. As of what i know there arn't any macro's for the game. But rapidfire works like a charm on some of the guns. If you're looking for a specific macro, let me know what it is, and i could try and create one next week (I'm getting my macro controller on Monday).

fairhavensand

odingalt,

Thanks for the response. They may not have been the answers I was hoping for; but it's nice to actually get answers ;) . We're still straddling the fence... but I think we're about to fall to the side of "purchase now". Also, would it void the warranty if we had the controller sent in to another company to remove the slow-turn problem? Thanks in advance.

fairhavensand

obo,

When you say that there aren't any macros for the game, does that mean that no one has created them as of yet, or does that mean that the macro software/Viking controller may not work with Red Dead Redemption? We use a Saitek macro controller for PC gaming. It's amazing how simple we are able to make the complex controls become in such games as the Total War series. As long as the macros WILL work with RDR we're sold.

Regarding the controller with use in RDR. There are just certain simple changes that we really want to make with the controller layout (e.g. changing the "A" button (sprint) to one of the underside tac buttons to allow easier camera control). Also, it would be fun to mess around with some macro applications with the tac buttons assigned with right roll, left roll, back roll, etc; which requires squeezing both triggers simultaneously along with the left stick in the direction of the roll and the "X" button.

There are other more complex macros that we want to try, but we're sure they would function well as long as the controller will work with the game.

fairhavensand

odingalt

Staff member
fairhavensand said:
odingalt,

Thanks for the response. They may not have been the answers I was hoping for; but it's nice to actually get answers ;) . We're still straddling the fence... but I think we're about to fall to the side of "purchase now". Also, would it void the warranty if we had the controller sent in to another company to remove the slow-turn problem? Thanks in advance.

Yes we put a holographic tamper sticker on the screw in the battery pack compartment. What is the slow-turn problem?

fairhavensand

odingalt,

Wow! Thanks again for such quick responses!

Slow-turn is an inherent lag in the Xbox 360's stick controls. When looking around, the camera is very slow to move; and often times picks up speed after a second or two of slow turning.

We currently use no-slow controllers. They make locking onto an opponent so much more easier than using stock controllers; and because the movement is always consistent there isn't the tendency to over-shoot a target when aiming.

This is the only thing that's keeping us on the fence right now. We're actually up to three controllers ready for purchase, but going back to stock controllers would be extremely difficult. Having used the macro controller for the PC for many years we really want to get our hands on the Viking. If the no-slow were added in, this would be the controller supreme! I know that you don't do custom controllers, but if this one time you

Thanks again.

fairhavensand

odingalt

Staff member
Allright as far as I can tell from the almighty google, slow turn only affects Halo video games? It seems if the Halo software developers would just lower the stick sensitivity by .02% it would fix the problem for everybody.

In any case, slow turn occurs when the base of the joystick hits the rim of the plastic shell too soon, i.e. before the joystick mechanism has really hit "100%" movement (this is defined by each game developer as far as I know.... so "100%" movement can be different from one game to the next).

The fix involves either sanding/scraping out the rim of the plastic shell that the stick moves around in, or pressing on the shell in a certain way when it is screwed together to, ensure the stick base moves around perfectly even around the hole.

I see a few companies selling 'no slow turn' controllers or 'slow turn cure', they are rather vague about what they are selling and some claim to use some super secret technology to implement the fix (this kind of marketing always makes me furious, when they can't just be honest about what service they are providing).

obo

Hey. To answer your question about red dead redemption, if there's a macro, the viking can pull it off. It's merely a matter if creating it. The only limit is the user itself, you will get out of the controller what you put into it. (or if you're lucky somebody else will create it for you :) )

fairhavensand

odingalt,

We own several controllers. The no-slow affects nearly all games with regards to the stock version. It is easily seen by having two monitors side by side and having one system using no-slow and the other using the standard set-up. Even in Red Dead Redemption we see it (I use a standard controller along with one of my other sons and the others use no-slow).

There is a slow response when turning (which, I'll admit, I'm used to). But when I try one of their controllers on my system there is no slowed response time when turning. Targets are acquired so much more easily. If it is just something as simple as filing here and there that would be great, but it seems to be something beyond that, as the stock controllers truly do turn (or, look up/down) at an obviously slower rate.

I agree with you completely: the "secret technology" is extremely infuriating and there is a near monopoly on the market by some individuals in this matter... just read the anger on the MLG forums regarding the issue.

At any rate, your controller looks incredible and like I said we are really talking this over as to whether or not we want to invest in three more controllers here.

Thanks for the response. I'm enjoying conversing with you.

Sincerely,

fairhavensand

obo,

Thanks for the response. All we wanted to know was whether or not the Viking is fully functional with Red Dead. We'll have a blast creating macros for it. Thanks again, friend.

fairhavensand

odingalt

Staff member
"Secret technology" is sandpaper. Does the person even need to dissassemble the controller to accomplish this?

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Why not try measuring across the thumbstick holes with calipers? Then you can tell if they just sand stuff or not.

odingalt

Staff member
If the hole is bigger so that the analog joystick is allowed to move >100% of the range, then the speeds would be even all the way around. I don't even think you need to be exact, just make the hole about 0.5-1.0% bigger and you're good to go.

The other alternative as I understand it is to to apply pressure to the shell while you are screwing the case together and 'eyeball' it to ensure the hole is 'dead center' so the stick moves evenly all the way around. I think the sandpaper trick comes in handy fi you're not good at getting the stick 'dead center' (or if the plastic mold is actually off enough that you can't get full range of motion).

Since the problem only arises when the stick isn't allowed to move out to the point where the digital-to-analog converter says "ok you're at 100%". In other words, the games don't recognize an 'over extended' stick.

My problem is I'm sitting here with a pile of controllers and I can't see the difference lol. fairhaven have you tried starting with a stock controller and just sandpapering out the hole to make it about 0.5% bigger?

odingalt

Staff member
PS3andCOD said:
Why not try measuring across the thumbstick holes with calipers? Then you can tell if they just sand stuff or not.

Well even if the hole is the right size, if the stick if 'off center' in the hole (not in dead center) you might have the same problem achieving full range.

I can't remember but wondering if it is at all possible that they are using a JTAG'ed xbox with a homebrew app to check the stick range. If it's off in a certain place, use just a little sandpaper (even while the controller is still assembled) on the side that has the reduced range. I think somebody could make some good money with sandpaper and a jtag'ed xbox right now :)

PS3andCOD

Contributor
You ought to be able to do it with digital calipers, as long as you know how much distance you need between the stick and the shell.

odingalt

Staff member
Actually, wondering if the wireless USB transceiver works with 'stock' wireless controllers, or it if has to be the special "PC" version of the xbox 360 controller? Then the user could either write windows program to check the sensitivity before shipment and/or maybe even use open source HID gamepad software to check the sticks at that point...

Does anyone have a windows PC transciever for the xbox 360 gamepad, do you know if a regular wireless controller works with the transceiver?

odingalt

Staff member
PS3andCOD said:
You ought to be able to do it with digital calipers, as long as you know how much distance you need between the stick and the shell.

How accurate of calipers do you need for something like this? It seems like the sure way to check it is to find a way to connect the gamepad up to a jtag'd console or connect it to windows and run a piece of software to check what the gamepad itself is actually seeing, since this is what is sent to the console.