Questions regarding shipping

odingalt

Staff member
"The Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows lets you take your quality, wireless gaming experiences that you enjoy on your console and experience them on your Windows gaming platform. The Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver provides up to a 30-foot range for complete wireless freedom. Use up to four Wireless Controllers and four Wireless Headsets simultaneously with one Wireless Gaming Receiver. The Receiver easily integrates with PC gaming scenarios and utilizes the same binding technology as Xbox 360. It provides a great value by eliminating the need for additional accessories for Windows-based gaming at an attractive price point."

I used to have one of these not sure what I did with it, I might go down to Best Buy and pick one up though and start playing :)

PS3andCOD

Contributor
That'd probably be the best way to do it, but I bet calipers that can measure up to thousandths of an inch could work... That'd be most of the digital ones. Analog calipers would be to hard to be consistant with though. A decent set of calipers is probably around $20.

fairhavensand

odingalt,

Looking over the no-slow controllers the hole of the right thumbsticks have been significantly widened! My sons are going to love that they paid twenty five dollars for someone to sand a simple section on the controller for them. We never looked too far into it as the response time was THAT much better when compared to stock!If that is all it was... what a laugh!!

Anyway, Thanks for all the all the great responses. Mystery solved! Do you think you could do the fix while you have the controller open?

fairhavesand

obo

i was just checking around and i found on youtube that microsoft released a newer generation controller with the new xbox and also sells them separately. This controller apparantly doesn't have the slow-turn issue. Whether or not the controllers viking360 uses are the newer ones, i couldn't tell you. But yeah, it appears microsoft fixed this issue already in newer controllers.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Aha! So the hole is bigger! I'm suprised no one's ever figured that out. They have free/opensource solutions to things that are infinitly harder and more expensive to have done than that.

fairhavensand

obo,

I wonder if the Viking is using the latest generation of controller. I'm sure odingalt will let us know soon. Thanks for adding to the discussion.

PS3andCOD,

Thanks for adding to the discussion as well. Every bit of information is helpful when investing money into something.

fairhavensand

fairhavensand

odingalt,

Did you find anything out about the no-slow? We really want to place the order for the three controllers, especially if the no-slow is taken care of.

Also, I'm on vacation until Thursday. If you get the no-slow issue resolved today is there any way I could pay a little extra and have the controllers sent out tomorrow via UPS Next Day? That way we'd get them on Tuesday and I'd have time to actually play around with it before the busy schedule starts up again.

Thanks for the great support/discussion. Like I said before: your macro controller coupled with the no-slow fix would make this the controller supreme!

fairhavensand

odingalt

Staff member
No there's no way to get them shipped out tomorrow with any guarantee about slow turn. It's going to take me a couple of weeks to investigate this scientifically. Until I can connect this wireless controller to either a JTAG'd console or my PC via a microsoft USB transceiver and some sort of software to check the calibration.... because I don't see the slow turn issue on the controllers I have here, but I'm not pro-gamer caliber either, so I really wouldn't be able to tell with out some sort of software calibration tool to help me verify some things.

(I don't want to just go make a gaping hole in the controllers with sandpaper either :D - wondering if there are any side affects to a hole being too big). Plus we build and stock all the controllers you see on the website on our shelves, so this would be a made-to-order kind of thing which we don't really do any more (we really got burned out doing special made-to-order controllers as we were always running a few days behind because everything was 100% custom). It can take 90 minutes to do an install so three controllers is a whole days' labor for one of our part time employees (or two) plus all my work to figure out if it's worth doing the no slow turn investigation... figure I make about $60/hour at may day job with benefits, so if it takes me two weeks to figure out this slow turn thing and there's no demand for it from the customers, I'm losing money in the long run.

I stopped by Walmart and of course they don't sell the wireless transceiver or even the whole controller bundled with transceiver. I have committed to family dinner today so not sure when I can get to Best Buy to see if they have one, I'm better off ordering one off the internet which will take a couple days to arrive. Unfortunately by the time the transceiver arrives in the mail, I will be out of town in Portland, OR on business all next week, and next weekend my family is coming from out-of-town to visit for my 30th Birthday, so I will not be doing any work that weekend either.

So realistically I'm not going to be able to look at this for another 2 weeks. :cry:

odingalt

Staff member
Long story short I want to get this perfect for you I don't want to just do a crappy sandpaper job and then hope that works - all of this is theory on paper at the moment :). If you are going to buy three controllers at way over $100 each they gots to be perfect!

Like somebody said above, maybe they fixed this issue in the newer generation controllers. If this is the case, that would be awesome as it will save me a lot of work as we only buy the new generation shells (it's the improved quality plastic with the shinier/metallic guide button in the middle). What I'm thinking of doing is trying to hook up an older generation controller to a PC to gauge the calibration in the software, do the same with a new generation controller, and see what's really going on.

Even if Microsoft did fix the issue in their latest shell plastic molds, you can bet that these companies selling no slow turn controllers aren't going to let you know that! They'll just keep marking up stock controllers by $25 and re-selling them. Hate companies that do this stuff. I'm sure it started as a legitimate service but these things always seem to evolve into a scam.

fairhavensand

odingalt,

Thanks for looking out for us with regard to the investment. We're all appreciative of your efforts. We've been talking it over; and as much as we want the No-Slow functioning with the controller, we don't want to lose the the November sale deal either. So, if you are able to get the controllers out tomorrow with Next Day UPS delivery we'll go that route.

Let us know if this is feasible for you, and, if so, let us know how we go about paying for the controllers with the Next Day option as the Checkout only allows for 3 Day and Ground.

Thanks again for your time.

Sincerely,

fairhavensand