The Viking Question?

Lynx

Hey I am going to buy a Viking but I want PS3 thumbsticks on it. Is this an option (I will pay more) or not? I installed them myself on the Odin Raven but I feel this will be far more difficult to take apart because of he front buttons. If anybody could help me let me know :)

odingalt

Staff member
The PS3 sticks you see typically are not very good quality. We stopped offering PS3 style upgrades because they didn't quite fit properly in the controller and would make it difficult to sprint in modern warfare when running forward. The stick would sort of get jammed and you couldn't make the guy sprint. That's also why we're custom painting the shells on our xbox 360 modded controllers, so we can get the quality of the original shell and the style points for something different.

Fredrow

Lynx said:
Hey I am going to buy a Viking but I want PS3 thumbsticks on it. Is this an option (I will pay more) or not? I installed them myself on the Odin Raven but I feel this will be far more difficult to take apart because of he front buttons. If anybody could help me let me know :)

I can do it.....

odingalt

Staff member
So long as you aren't buying the sticks from llamma.com. I would highly advise against using those sticks, unless they've updated their manufacturer since the last time we purchased from them. We used to buy all of our PS3 sticks from llamma.com. Then they switched to a different plastic mold or a different supplier over the summer. The new sticks do not fit in the controller properly and cause problems when trying to sprinting or knifing (pushing the stick down) when also running forwards or backwards.

Lynx

I took a ps2 controller apart a while ago and have been using those sticks on a few controllers and they work flawlessly. Do you know how hard it will be for me to install those on the new Viking? Like I said I am only worried about the front buttons and their wires getting in the way. I really want to pre-order this but I want to be able to either get them installed by fredrow or install them myself.

odingalt

Staff member
Fredmeister knows his way inside and out of modded controllers. Think about an Odin's Raven on steroids. It may be difficult to access the circuit board without desoldering the wires that are running to the tac switches. Since there are tac switches on the top and the bottom of the circuitboard, you won't be able to really get the controller apart without removing a couple wires.

Lynx

Man thats what I want to avoid if I can. Do you know how much Fredrow charges for that? If its gonna be a ton of money Ill just do it myself or use the stock sticks I guess :(

Fredrow

odingalt said:
So long as you aren't buying the sticks from llamma.com. I would highly advise against using those sticks, unless they've updated their manufacturer since the last time we purchased from them. We used to buy all of our PS3 sticks from llamma.com. Then they switched to a different plastic mold or a different supplier over the summer. The new sticks do not fit in the controller properly and cause problems when trying to sprinting or knifing (pushing the stick down) when also running forwards or backwards.

I haven't bought any PS3 sticks from Llamma for a long time now, I think the last time I ordered from them is when you still lived in Bellevue. Plus I never liked those sticks much, because the top piece seemed more of a grayish and blackish mixed up color. They just didn't look like a true black color. I have been getting my PS3 sticks from a new source, they seem to be the real deal. These sticks don't wear down after two weeks of game play like the old Llamma sticks did.

E, don't you remember when I mailed you a set of them with those tact switches a while back? I mailed them to you as a sample pack so you could check them out?

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Fredrow said:
odingalt said:

I haven't bought any PS3 sticks from Llamma for a long time now, I think the last time I ordered from them is when you still lived in Bellevue. Plus I never liked those sticks much, because the top piece seemed more of a grayish and blackish mixed up color. They just didn't look like a true black color. I have been getting my PS3 sticks from a new source, they seem to be the real deal. These sticks don't wear down after two weeks of game play like the old Llamma sticks did.

E, don't you remember when I mailed you a set of them with those tact switches a while back? I mailed them to you as a sample pack so you could check them out?
i think i got those good sticks then because the ones i have are the true black.

odingalt

Staff member
Fredrow said:
odingalt said:

Now that you mention that I do remember the larger tac switches came in a pack I don't remember the new sticks, the tac switches are sitting on my workbench at the shop in the tray to the left behind my wire reels, I will have to look to see if the PS3 sticks are sitting there with them in the foil baggy! If I can't find them, I needs to buy some more from you :lol: