Top Shell

Xx Binno xX

When opening my controller my top shell will not come off it seems as its stuck where the mic port is and i don't want to mess anything up. This DOES NOT HAVE A VIKING CHIP. The red circle shows where the board will not come up at everything else is ok just this spot wont come up.

IrishStyle

XxbinnoxX said:
When opening my controller my top shell will not come off it seems as its stuck where the mic port is and i don't want to mess anything up. This DOES NOT HAVE A VIKING CHIP. The red circle shows where the board will not come up at everything else is ok just this spot wont come up.

That black screw stud is most likely flared out due to the tightening of the screws during manufacturing. You can safely pull up on the pcb to get it off that stud. Just be careful if using something to pry with.

Xx Binno xX

I took that screw out already i think my problem was when i went to put it back together I tightend that screw to much. and something happened see i could just pull up on the board but i dont want it to snap but if it does ill just call game stop and tell them that it wont turn on and they will just give me another for free XD

Xx Binno xX

Like no joke i wish you guys could see this i can not get this board out im pushing as hard as a i can and i think its about to snap

Edit- I finally go this Fcking think off i took a pic of what happened see the bar code screw plastic got stuck on the motherboard making it basically glued down to the top shell

odingalt

Staff member
One some controllers, especially older ones, or on ones where maybe the factory/last guy to do a mod overtightened the screws, those plastic studs (that the screws goes into) actually get flattened out a little bit. Once they are flattened out, it can be very very hard to get the circuit board out.

It's hard to explain in words, is there anybody out there that konws what I am talking about here?

Xx Binno xX

I do understand what you mean. This was very hard to get off i was scared of braking the board but when I got it off I didn't. I do have a question for you E do you use a drill? or a screw driver? to undo and put together the controller? I have a torx set but the bits are to small. I'm taking it back and I ordered one of amazon for $4.99.

odingalt

Staff member
My wife found a place that sells T8 tamper resistant bits that fit in a drill and are small enough to reach ALL seven screws on the controller. So we use a little mini drill (it's like 1/2 the size and 1/4 the power of a normal drill, it goes very slow and is low power which is good for undoing screws)

I notice recently that llamma.com has what appears to be a nice quality bit with a nice long shaft...

http://secure.llamma.com/catalog/produc ... 16d3733462

I can't tell you if it's shit quality or not, but I like the long shaft. If you do a lot of mod work on controllers it's worth a try for the $5 they are asking.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

odingalt said:
My wife found a place that sells T8 tamper resistant bits that fit in a drill and are small enough to reach ALL seven screws on the controller. So we use a little mini drill (it's like 1/2 the size and 1/4 the power of a normal drill, it goes very slow and is low power which is good for undoing screws)

I notice recently that llamma.com has what appears to be a nice quality bit with a nice long shaft...

I can't tell you if it's poop quality or not, but I like the long shaft. If you do a lot of mod work on controllers it's worth a try for the $5 they are asking.
Verry nice find ;)

PS3andCOD

Contributor
odingalt said:
One some controllers, especially older ones, or on ones where maybe the factory/last guy to do a mod overtightened the screws, those plastic studs (that the screws goes into) actually get flattened out a little bit. Once they are flattened out, it can be very very hard to get the circuit board out.

It's hard to explain in words, is there anybody out there that konws what I am talking about here?

You mean it mushrooms and then it doesn't fit through the hole anymore?

PS3andCOD

Contributor
I seem to remember having a simular problem with something else before... I think it was rope, I melt the ends so they don't fray (the best way to do it i my opinion is light a candle and actually cut the rop by burning/melting it with the candle until it seperates) but the ends mushroom up and don't fit through stuff anymore.

Xx Binno xX

Well i got my screw driver and i was going to start modding my first controller but i just have to get the mod chip from fredrow. Ben Fredrow od Mod matt what do you guys use to drill the holes for the tac switches and the 3.5mm jack?

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

XxbinnoxX said:
Well i got my screw driver and i was going to start modding my first controller but i just have to get the mod chip from fredrow. Ben Fredrow od Mod matt what do you guys use to drill the holes for the tac switches and the 3.5mm jack?
Look at the topic Ben made it has the instructions for all three types of controllers

Fredrow

odingalt said:

I can't tell you if it's poop quality or not, but I like the long shaft. If you do a lot of mod work on controllers it's worth a try for the $5 they are asking.

HaHaHaHaHaHa..... Odingalt said that he likes; and I quote "but I like the long shaft." :lol: I guess whatever floats your boat!!!!! Just playing around with ya big fella.......

But man, I hate it when you never, ever listen to anything that I mention to you!! You probably don't remember this but who knows maybe you do? Remember that store in Bellevue.
Harbor Freight Tools ?
Remember when I told you about being able to buy a whole set of long security bit set's? Well I guess NOT...... Hahahahaha..... Oh well, your lost if you just found that one Bit from llamma.com for $4.58......
Because at Harbor Freight Tools you get that one Bit plus 31 more Bits in the set for only $12.99....... You know I'm just giving you some shit because, uhhhhhh, oh yeah, because no one else will.......
:twisted:
Here is the link for the 32 Piece Security Bit Set http://www.harborfreight.com/32-piece-3-inch-long-reach-security-bit-set-95680.html

And also here is a link to a place in Florida were you can buy cheap Electronics stuff, for i.e: solder stations, tweezers, assorted hand tools, and a bunch of other good stuff. This place called MPJA, here is the link for it http://www.mpja.com/ this is a great place to buy electronics tools/equipment for people that are just getting there feet wet in Electronics, the reason for that is because everything is so cheap...

Xx Binno xX

Thanks for that link fredrow that really helped me out now i just have to get some of that 30 awg wire and a mod chip ans start modding. I do have another problem though its the lighting i have a desk but see i block the light from where i sit. What do you guys recommend for lighting when you mod? table lamp or what?