Ultimate Mod Chip from ragnarok controller installment in VX5 controller

HyPeR-X

Hey,

I have a question about the ultimate mod chip installment. I had a v1.06 modded controller from you guys, but after lest then a year the left analog stick didn't work correctly anymore. (Blame Sony's crappy analog sticks and playing to much COD ...) I've fixed this once by blowing out the sedlement of dust with some compressed air and lubricating the sticks internaly with some silicon spray. Few weeks ago the left stick completely died, as to say it keeps getting stuck in the upper left corner and never returns to dead center. (I might buy a new stick later on via Ebay and have my aunt from canada, seen some canadian guy selling them cheap, ship it over to me when she sends a letter. I will then repair the v1.06 board later on)

I unscrewed and unsoldered the modchip and installed the modchip in another controller which I had lying around. This controller however has a VX5 board inside rather then the v1.06 one which the modded controller originaly shipped with. Luckily I found your installation manual to be compatible with this type of board, so installation was not that hard, although now I've run into some weird problems.

When the original controller with the mod chip stopped working, it was put away with only drop shot mode enabled. I've tested the controller and dropshotting goes perfectly, so the chip is working as are the LED's. However when I press the tac switch and a button to enable/disable modes, nothing happens and after a few seconds the LED 3 light starts counting (1x blink, pause, 2x blink, pause, 3x blink pause, 4x blink, pause, 1x blink pause) just like when you switch modes normaly. This problem makes me unable to enable / disable anything or select a certain mode.

Is this a problem you've encountered before with the VX4/VX5 boards? Can you tell me how to fix it?

P.S: The waranty stickers suck, mine wore off the controller within two weeks of using it. Oh well, wasn't going to ship back the controller anyway as thats more expensive then buying a new one.

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member
Hi there

The mod will do all sorts of crazy stuff if the controller does not "sandwich" together properly. Check that there is still a little piece of foam underneath the flexible "daughtercard" connection, the foam pushes the little ribbon with rectangular pads against the circuit board.

If you are testing without screws in the controller, put the screws in, all sorts of crazy stuff can happen when trying to test without the controller screwed together tight.

Can you provide a hi-res pic of the install and we can double check the connections based on the pic?

HyPeR-X

Hi there

The mod will do all sorts of crazy stuff if the controller does not "sandwich" together properly. Check that there is still a little piece of foam underneath the flexible "daughtercard" connection, the foam pushes the little ribbon with rectangular pads against the circuit board.

If you are testing without screws in the controller, put the screws in, all sorts of crazy stuff can happen when trying to test without the controller screwed together tight.

Can you provide a hi-res pic of the install and we can double check the connections based on the pic?

Thanks for your advices, I've unmounted the controllers and resoldered a few contacts an now it works like its supposed to. Only need to figure out how to attach the 3,5 jack plug again so I can program is, since a few wires broke of when originaly unmounting the modded controller.

HyPeR-X

how many pins does ur jack have? viking has been known to use two types.

It's this version, I recon the 7 pin type.

7Qy89BU2.jpg