Viking Macro vs. Scuf Gaming controller comparison....

So I recently bought a Scuf Gaming controller to compliment my Macro Controllers and give me some options. I wanted to post this comparison for everyone and will compare my Black Serpent Viking Macro to "The Scuf" controller since both of them have custom paint jobs (I have a silver and a black too, but that's not an apples to apples comparison due to paint job imo).

Price:
Viking Macro - $299 + $16.18 shipping (currently $399.95)

Scuf Gaming - Edit... $189.70 + $9.95
(TBD.... there website is down right now so I cant check... it was about the cost I paid for the Viking though... what great luck having the site down when I need to know what I paid for this thing..... 1 point viking macro, 0 points Scuf lol))

Craftsmanship:
VM - This thing is very solid and feels great in your hands. The tac buttons are held in place very well and they work great. I was concerned when I bought my Viking that the tacs were going to feel flimsy but that is not the case at all. It is built on an official XBox controller and it feels just like an XBox controller with the weight and sturdiness.

SG - This controller is also built on an official XBox controller and feels great in your hands. The controller feels great and the paddles on the back are really nice and are very sturdy. They click like if you were to left or right click a mouse button. I kinda like it. The trigger stops and adjustable triggers that let you get your trigger set to just before the breaking point on your weapons is really nice, but they recommend that you only remove the trigger stops a few times. Also, the trigger stops and adjustable triggers are not compatible on some games that involve pulling the trigger back to different distances. Works great on MW3... but not so much on BF3

Paint Job: I will try and post pictures of both controllers when I get a chance
VM - The Black Serpent controller has an AWESOME paint job. When I got the controller there was a slight nick in the paint, but it was in a location that I could not tell unless I was examining the controller. All in all this thing is flawless. The clear coating on the controller feels really good as well.

SG - The black and green paint on "The Scuf" looks really good except for some reason there is some red bleeding through the green in a really random location. I am not pleased with this as my OCDness freaks the F out when I see something that just does not fit in where it is supposed to. The controller feels really good in your hands though and the military grade non-slip paint on the back of the controller feels really good as well.

Overall:
VM - I freakin love this thing. I find myself going back to it every day because it feels so good in your hands and has so much functionality to it. It is well built, looks great and does everything I could imagine it needing to do for me (with a little work on the macro editor that is). This controller still gets an A+ from me and I am glad I have a couple of them so if one goes down and I have to send it back in for repairs I still have one to use hehe

SG - This controller is great and looks good (other than the red patch in the paint), but I just can not get used to it yet. I need to keep playing with it and get the feel for using the paddles on the back to Jump and Knife, but currently I keep finding myself going back to the Macro. I do love the adjustable triggers when I am using a fully auto gun in MW3, but I love the semi-auto guns in all CoD games so it is kind of a mute point. I can fire off the semi-autos faster with this controller than I can with a stock controller, but it does not compare to the rapidfire macro for the Viking.

I still need to play with the Scuf Gaming controller a bit more and give it a fare shake, but from my first two weeks of owning it I find it as a novelty item and to be frank a waist of money. All in all I give it a B- at the moment, but this could go up or down depending on how the next few weeks go with it. It is a great controller, but I feel the Viking is far superior to it in every way.

Let me know if anyone has any questions about either controller.

Last edited:

MJ23KB24

ModdingBros Leader
Ive always wondered about the Scuf controllers but never really seemed to be that many differences from other controllers.

Superamino

I use and luv my V macro with an Avenger adapter wrapped around it. I have it soo fine tuned for MW3 right now. It's a great combination.

SlickNick

@superamino,

Hey just ordered an avenger for my ps3 to use on mw3. Can you see a big difference playing with it?

fst2011

Hey super, i had my advenger before getting my macro but have nnot set it up. Can you post your setup and or a pic of it would really be great. Also, any tips you have figured out from using both the macro and advenger.

Thanks in advance

Superamino

Yeah dude! Sorry for a lag in response. I wont use my macro controller without Avenger adapter on it for my xbox 360 controller! After some gametime it's soo easy huh? I wore out my X-stick so I made a solid one out of a pen. Let me know how you like it?

Superamino

Yeah Bro I use drop shot on tac switch 2 for MW3. It makes a big difference instead of holding down the B botton. I dont have a picture yet. My Avenger looks ghetto right now because I wore out my X-stick and had to make one out of a pen, but it is more solid now. Let me know how its going for you.