Viking Software Hangs when Editing Recorded Macro

swordfischer

Hi.

Just recieved my Viking controller yesterday after much hassle with the Danish post office.

Software: 0.8.7.4
Firmware: 0.8.7.3

Windows Platform -> Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
other Platform -> Windows Server 2003 (through VirtualBox) SP3

If I record a macro from my controller, and load it to the software it works. I can save it, but I cannot edit it.
Tried saving to a file, and edit that file, but that didnt work either, same symptoms as editing directly when loading.

I can load downloaded macro sets/files

What happens is that the software hangs, and stops responding. And after some time, crashes.

I tried running in compatibility mode for XP and Vista, neither helped.

What I could see on the forums, there is no similar issue (only people clicking green checkmark getting hung up)

Any ideas? Do you need more information?

NYjetsNY1

swordfischer said:
Hi.

Just recieved my Viking controller yesterday after much hassle with the Danish post office.

Software: 0.8.7.4
Firmware: 0.8.7.3

Windows Platform -> Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
other Platform -> Windows Server 2003 (through VirtualBox) SP3

If I record a macro from my controller, and load it to the software it works. I can save it, but I cannot edit it.
Tried saving to a file, and edit that file, but that didnt work either, same symptoms as editing directly when loading.

I can load downloaded macro sets/files

What happens is that the software hangs, and stops responding. And after some time, crashes.

I tried running in compatibility mode for XP and Vista, neither helped.

What I could see on the forums, there is no similar issue (only people clicking green checkmark getting hung up)

Any ideas? Do you need more information?

I told odingalt about this bug. If you record a really long macro, you can't edit it. The software simply crashes. Is this your problem? If so odingalt should be getting a fix out then.

swordfischer

Yes exactly. forgot to mention that.

What is considered long?

Also, can long macros make my timing incorrect? When I make 4 min macro (for yaris and undertow) it moves a bit off, from what I did when recording.
Or can I expect some error margin?
-- maybe its my controller?
Tried loading up the Macro for Gears of War 2 Seriously by Trey. and its really off sync, it doesnt move when its supposed to.
Am I doing something wrong here?

NYjetsNY1

swordfischer said:
Yes exactly. forgot to mention that.

What is considered long?

Also, can long macros make my timing incorrect? When I make 4 min macro (for yaris and undertow) it moves a bit off, from what I did when recording.
Or can I expect some error margin?
-- maybe its my controller?
Tried loading up the Macro for Gears of War 2 Seriously by Trey. and its really off sync, it doesnt move when its supposed to.
Am I doing something wrong here?

Yes, the longer the macro is, the more inconsistent it gets.

Long is anything over 1 minute. I don't have a single macro that is longer than 10 seconds on my controller...

swordfischer

Oh, so believing that my controller could do some tedious achievements was wrong?

Can this be circumvented? Like creating 6 macros of 10 seconds, instead of 1 in 60? Then time it correctly pressing the macro buttons one by one with some loop?

odingalt

Staff member
Can you post the file you are having troubles editing, so I can forward this to the GUI developer?

odingalt

Staff member
You're not going to find accuracy over minutes of recording.. If you are trying to record a macro where you start at a point on a map and run around the map, and then want to replay that macro to identically repeat the process, it'll never work.

I will try to figure out how to open this macro in the software. My debugging tool opens it up find, not sure where the hangup is in the GUI when loading it up.

odingalt

Staff member
Ok funny story. So I saved your long .VKM to my desktop. After being able to open and inspect it with my debugging tool, the .VKM looked intact. So I double-clicked on it to launch it with The Viking software. The software window looked frozen. But I left it open and went to bed. This morning when I woke up, there was 207.9 second long macro waiting for me.

I will work with the GUI developer on this as it appears to be a performance issue. However if you really need to edit this macro in the short term you may try double-clicking to open it and leave it open for a really long time (I don't know how long it took buy my guess is hours to open). Saving the macro once you've edited it is the same process unfortunately - a really really long one.

swordfischer

Left it open for more than 24h and it didnt seem to do any difference.. But still, its 67 kB.. imho shouldnt take hours to load, maybe a minute or two, but not hours

NYjetsNY1

swordfischer said:
Left it open for more than 24h and it didnt seem to do any difference.. But still, its 67 kB.. imho shouldnt take hours to load, maybe a minute or two, but not hours

Can you imagine when I tried to open a 10-minute macro? It probably would've taken a year. Lol. Hopefully we can get this fixed.

swordfischer

As I said earlier, I tried leaving it open for about 24 hours, and didn't work.

OK, I actually thought the Viking was able to do longer macros - thats what I bought it for :)

What if a macro could open another macro? For instance, having 3 macros of 5 seconds length to do a 15 sec macro?
Or repeat a macro x times or for y period of time then do another macro?

Should post this as suggestions instead of hogging my own thread :)

NYjetsNY1

swordfischer said:

OK, I actually thought the Viking was able to do longer macros - thats what I bought it for :)

What if a macro could open another macro? For instance, having 3 macros of 5 seconds length to do a 15 sec macro?

You could have a macro that when it ends, you can press another one.

Hopefully the devs get the problem fixed soon to make longer macros work.

odingalt

Staff member
NYjetsNY1 said:
swordfischer said:

You could have a macro that when it ends, you can press another one.

Hopefully the devs get the problem fixed soon to make longer macros work.

To make longer macros work faster. They "work" technically, it just takes hours to do the job.