vote

im just wondering how many people think a chatbox is a good idea

• chatbox

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

thejld said:
HELL to the NO! This will just bring spammers and advertisers from other sites.
ok but if somone had a major problem you can chat in real time with them and the mods can take care of the spam and the other people advertising

thejld

Ok try taking care of all the spam... blackburn had to shut his down due to it... and y cant u just chat in msn or aim?

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

thejld said:
Ok try taking care of all the spam... blackburn had to shut his down due to it... and y cant u just chat in msn or aim?
you can but this would be easier than having to add somone on msn or aim......also there are things you can put in to make it so you must wait to post again or things that auto detect spam.....personally i dont like giving out my msn or aim to somone i dont know

Krier023

Useful Poster
I think that we should just stick to aim or msn. if anyone saw blackburns chatbox, it was constantly spammed by other websites and it was ridiculous.

v360Reflex

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
thejld said:
you can but this would be easier than having to add somone on msn or aim......also there are things you can put in to make it so you must wait to post again or things that auto detect spam.....personally i dont like giving out my msn or aim to somone i dont know

LMFAO okay., what will happen if you do give your msn or aim out? just another way to chat! it aint harmful!! but i think we should have a chat box it would be a lot easier!!

modded matt

m1a1 do you code this forum? I have a few pointers if so you should pm me.

the shout box is great. We run a shout box at AM all the time. the key is to make it so you must be a member to post in it. and there is a handfull of spam blocker mods that can be added to the forum to control signup. I am not sure this site gets enough traffic to justify a shout box, but it could be a helpful tool. although with the theme being used, I am not sure where you could fit it in. If you have custom pages installed you could make it on a seperate page and use flash chat.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

modded matt said:
m1a1 do you code this forum? I have a few pointers if so you should pm me.

the shout box is great. We run a shout box at AM all the time. the key is to make it so you must be a member to post in it. and there is a handfull of spam blocker mods that can be added to the forum to control signup. I am not sure this site gets enough traffic to justify a shout box, but it could be a helpful tool. although with the theme being used, I am not sure where you could fit it in. If you have custom pages installed you could make it on a seperate page and use flash chat.
no matt i dont code this site(odingalt does) but i do have some experience running a forum and coding HTML and phpBB forums

Ben

M1a1 doesn't code it at all haha

Einar/Odingalt runs the forum :)

We have maybe 3 members online at the most at one time, I don't think it's worth it. Besides this forum is for helping people with their controllers and if all problems are solved in a chatbox people would continue to post the same questions and there would be no topic someone has already started with that problem (I know it happens already but you get my drift)...

you get me, right? :L

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Ben. said:
M1a1 doesn't code it at all haha

Einar/Odingalt runs the forum :)

We have maybe 3 members online at the most at one time, I don't think it's worth it. Besides this forum is for helping people with their controllers and if all problems are solved in a chatbox people would continue to post the same questions and there would be no topic someone has already started with that problem (I know it happens already but you get my drift)...

you get me, right? :L
i understand but lets say your controller does what mine did and it is unfunctional i would have loved a chatbox(even though i figured it out right after i posted it)

G

i agree with ben there really isnt that many people on here all the time so a chat box would be pretty much point less

apcoop7

The chat box is a good idea, it would help out with all the new people. In my experience running a forum, I know that the chat box will make the forum less active, but would also help avoid all the noob questions. The fact that there is usually 3 active members makes the chat box seem like there's no point but I know in the future that will change; Viking seems like a very fast growing company.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

PS3andCOD said:
I've seen a lot of chatboxes that get spammed so much they have to be shut down unless there is a mod on.
but those are usually a chatbox that anyone can post on....but on most of the chat boxes ive seen there is no spam...and they have an archive so the mods can go back and review for spam

PS3andCOD

Contributor
True. But how easy is it to spoof a forum signup? Fake name and email and you're in business. Or does viking need you to confirm your email? I don't remember.

viking360fan

PS3andCOD said:
True. But how easy is it to spoof a forum signup? Fake name and email and you're in business. Or does viking need you to confirm your email? I don't remember.
need to confirm now.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

PS3andCOD said:
Ok so if they do a fake name and email.....I.P address ban:)

viking360fan

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
PS3andCOD said:
not hard to change ur ip at all.

Fredrow

viking360fan said:
M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
PS3andCOD said:
not hard to change ur ip at all.

That is so true!!!!