What are the odds - Crucial M4 SSD "5000 hour bug"...

odingalt

Staff member
I own two of these Crucial M4 64-gigabyte SSD's (solid state drive).

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/BSOD-Crucial-M4/td-p/79098
http://hothardware.com/News/Crucial...-SSD-Bug-Promises-Firmware-Fix-in-MidJanuary/

And guess what? They had a firmware bug where the hard drives start causing random system hangups and reboots after 5000 hours of operation. I figured this out after constant hangups the past two weeks on my computer. After removing everything except CPU, RAM and HDD the problem still remained. I happened to catch the error code "0x00004F" on my blue screen of death, so I googled it and was lucky enough to read about this Crucial SSD model M4 bug.

Seriously, what are the odds that I would buy a hard drive that have such a strange bug? The sickly ironic thing is that I just bought these drives last year after a massive hard drive failure as part of a bunch of hard drive upgrades I made to my home office PC. About 8-9 months later, here we go again lol...

I took the firmware update from Crucial, now I am just sitting here biting my nails and waiting 60 minutes to see if my computer is going to BSOD (Blue screen of death) on me again...

MJ23KB24

ModdingBros Leader
Good luck man I hate those blue screen of deaths. Those SSD's arent cheap either they need to stop making faulty hardware. I hope you can get your computer to come to life the only bad thing is you have all your data on those Im guessing. If you dont get the BSOD I would backup your hard drives on another external drive.

odingalt

Staff member
Score. The firmware update was a success, my data didn't get lost when I upgraded the firmware, and I've been going almost 24 hours without a BSOD. Woot woot!

MJ23KB24

ModdingBros Leader
Dang nice Odin! My luck would totally be against me if that happened to me. Well Im glad you got it working again hope it continues.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
SSD's have really come down these days, litterally just instaling updates etc on the fresh instal on my new machine. My SSD is a 120 GB Patriot Pyro, it was only $115.