Yesterday's news

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Very excited! I suspected phantom buttons and remapping might have been more possible on the PS3 from the start, but I wasn't sure how easy it would be on these new controller models compared to the original model. These things could be even more useful to some people than the macro funtion on the 360. For exmple, one tac switch can then be used in combination with the 8 other buttons to make 8 different mode buttons. Just wondering how many tac's are planned for the controller then? I was under the impression there were going to be none, but for those features some seem necessary.

NYjetsNY1

PS3andCOD said:
Very excited! I suspected phantom buttons and remapping might have been more possible on the PS3 from the start, but I wasn't sure how easy it would be on these new controller models compared to the original model. These things could be even more useful to some people than the macro funtion on the 360. For exmple, one tac switch can then be used in combination with the 8 other buttons to make 8 different mode buttons. Just wondering how many tac's are planned for the controller then? I was under the impression there were going to be none, but for those features some seem necessary.

None. Stock buttons to switch modes. I think.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Have you read Odin's post from yesterday? He meantions these new features, which need tac switches. That was the plan I beleive, but looks like that may have changed.

NYjetsNY1

Yes I reread it and you are 100% correct I saw the tac switch thing!

Cool!! Can't wait.

Thanks for the info.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Also rereading, (lol) it does say THE tac switch, so maybe that means one. Shouldn't be too big a deal to have just one if you can do the phantom button thing though. Maybe tap the tac to do a quick on/off, and hold to use the stock buttons for mode changing. It would also be good if you could use the tac as a shift key, like for jitter or rapidfire on the trigger. I guess we'll hear more when he has some stuff down pat or whatever.

odingalt

Staff member
Yeah unfortunately I just don't see how this thing could work without a tac switch.

On the XBOX 360 controller, you have the sync button. Since tapping the sync button does absolutely nothing, it works well as a mod button.

On the PS3 controller, there is no sync button... (well there is, but you actually have to take a pin and poke through a hole to get at it, it's like a controller reset button). So there's really no button that doesn't already do something else. So it seems like we're stuck installing at least one tac switch in this thing lol. Which means we almost might as well just install two of 'em?

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Yeah, if you're installing one might as well keep it symetrical with two I would say. Do you know what that reset button even does? I knew it was there, but I have no clue what it does.