Analog Sticks Review!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredrow

Just wanted to post a product review about these terrible Analog-Sticks!!

The reasoning behind doing this is so other people will not waste their time/money
(which is the same thing to me) on these junk analog sticks. Because I know a lot of people who would have bought these, then installed them and after they were installed and not working correctly they would have thought to themselves that they ruined their controller during the de-soldering/soldering of the analog sticks and would have never thought that it was actually the analog sticks that were at fault!!!
(A little side note to the MODERATORS here at V360, if this topic is located in the wrong section can you please move it to the correct section since I'm just a fake/knock-off MODERATOR and will not be able to move it after I post it..... My MODERATOR status is like a Chinese pair of Air Jordan XI)

These analog sticks were bought from
ExtremeMods

[FONT=&amp]I bought these analog sticks to repair a customer’s worn out analog sticks on his RED V360 Thor's Hammer controller with Gold R-O-L LEDz. (If the customer who had these installed into his controller and you see this thread please leave a post and give your input about your feels with the sticks also?)

After I installed the analog sticks I noticed a dead spot within the POTs on the sticks. The dead spot was small but very noticeable because it was right at the beginning movement of the sticks in either direction. Which was a PAIN-N-ACE while playing Call of Duty or any FPS game. I think the dead spot was caused by to high of a resistance tolerance of the POTs. But after I already had these sticks soldered onto the controller I thought that maybe the sticks just needed to get worked in a bit. So I played a couple days worth of games to work them in and I mailed the controller off to the customer and sent him an email explaining about the analog sticks and told him that if they don’t get worked in and they are still acting up in a weird manor then he should return the controller and I will replace those sticks with a different brand name of analog sticks. (If anyone is thinking about it, YES I DID THE 2ND REPAIR OF THE STICKS FOR FREE) I knew the kid would email me back, so right after I mailed the controller I bought a pair of the Tailspin analog sticks just to have on hand for when the controller gets mailed back. So soon enough he emailed me back and then sent the controller. I then installed the Tailspin analog sticks and guess what?? They worked like buttah.... So nice and smooth; I swear that they worked better than the stock Microsoft analog sticks....

Well here are 6 different pictures I shot of the sticks so you know what not to order/buy whenever you need to replace worn out analog sticks!!

9I9Qa.jpg

fgmiH.jpg

hemak.jpg

xFJCg.jpg

I even went ahead and left a product review of these analog sticks on EM because I would hate to see other people buy these poor analog sticks and also because these was only one other review left of these sticks and the person gave them 5-stars and wrote a positive review which when I bought the sticks there was not a review and I'm finding it hard to believe that these are indeed good analog sticks..... Just seemed a bit fishy to me, if ya know what I mean!!
I'm going to post my exact review that I left on there about the analog just in case for some reason it doesn't get published on there site. Which I think it should because I did mention how I still luv
ExtremeMods and I will continue to order from them in the future but it just wont be there analog sticks...

[/FONT]
Terrible Analog-Sticks… Grade=F

I’m not too sure if the other review of this product is even a really person or if this company just made up that review. I installed these replacement analog sticks onto one of my customer’s controllers. And before anyone starts to think that the problem was not the analog sticks but was more of an installer error. Here is a little info about myself; I have an AS degree in Electronics Technology and I also run a small company called East-Seattle-Electronics and also works alongside Viking360. So I know my electronics. After installing these analog sticks and then using them in game play, I noticed there was a little bit of a dead spot in the POT’s on these sticks. The dead spot is located with the first movement of the sticks in any direction. Now this could be just because the POTs on the sticks are cheaply made or that they are not in fact OEM replacement analogs; meaning that the resistance tolerance of these POTs are not the same tolerance of that the analog sticks that come stock on the Microsoft Xbox360 controllers. So then I went ahead and order a pair of the Tailspin analog sticks to just test my theory out and guess what? The Tailspin analog sticks worked like a dream! So I know 100% that these analog sticks being sold here are NOT very good at all and for that I can not recommend these to anyone. This is not a put down on ExtremeMods at all because I love this company very much and I will continue to order from them but they should think about dropping these analog sticks from their products list.

Thanks…. From yo boy FREDROW

Well that's all folks.... I hope this information will be useful for some of you and I hope not to make anyone else mad with this thread since I guess that's all I have been doing lately..... But it's been real people.....

Peace!!!

Fredrow

Here are the other two pictures that I took since your only allowed to have four per post.....

IWfcs.jpg

hf9lQ.jpg

Krier023

Useful Poster
Was it only one, or was there problem in both analog sticks? Might be just a manufacturing error if it was only one of the analog sticks.nonetheless, you went v about this completely correctly fredrow, from your free 2nd replace to your review on the website. You should also contact their customer service.not to get your money back (probably only a couple bucks) but to notify them of the faulty sticks they are selling. Sorry if there are spelling/grammatical errors on this post, it was from my phone.

Fredrow

Was it only one, or was there problem in both analog sticks? Might be just a manufacturing error if it was only one of the analog sticks.nonetheless, you went v about this completely correctly fredrow, from your free 2nd replace to your review on the website. You should also contact their customer service.not to get your money back (probably only a couple bucks) but to notify them of the faulty sticks they are selling. Sorry if there are spelling/grammatical errors on this post, it was from my phone.

It was both analog sticks. I kind of explained in that long rambling on post of my theory on why the analog sticks were bad. I think the tolerance of the POTs is to high. I would think that the stock Microsoft analog sticks are a 1% tolerance or even a 5% but I'm guessing more of 1% and the sticks that I reviewed might be like 10% tolerance which would make a difference.... But like I stated its just my theory.... Also as I remember resistors and POTs are components that very rarely come out of the factor-plants as a defective product just because of how simple of a product it is to make and how difficult it is to screw up.... Not 100% on that so don't quote me on it....hahaha.... Yeah I was gonna return them but since they are used and EM charges 20% for re-stocking I figured screw-it, not worth my time for less than a dub....

Also I don't care about your spelling/grammatical errors; this ain't school, were not taking a test..... Plus its just a forum and the only thing I really see ELEC forums for is to chat with other ELEC minded people and learn a thing or two and pick up on new tricks of the trade.... Now others out there in the world do care about about the spelling/grammar stuff and may just fix it for ya!!!! lol....

NYjetsNY1

Nice review on the sticks, interesting read.

Now others out there in the world do care about about the spelling/grammar stuff and may just fix it for ya!!!! lol....

Personally, I'm one of those people that do care about online spelling and grammar. Just because a forum isn't a school, and that we aren't taking a test, does not mean spelling and grammar aren't important. Why go to school to learn how to write, how to spell, if you aren't going to apply it?

http://www.untwistedvortex.com/2011/04/22/spell-checking-grammar-checking-important-online-writing/

"Why Spell Checking and Grammar Checking is Important for Online Writing"

Posted by RT Cunningham on April 22, 2011

"I'm not a perfectionist. I don't think anyone needs to be 100 percent accurate when it comes to spelling, punctuation and grammar. There is, however, a perfectly good reason to use a spell checker and a grammar checker whenever you write something for online publication. It's the readability issue. You may have the most fantastic article in the world ready to be published and yet, half of the people who read it will simply glaze over it or ignore it completely because they won't understand it. It all boils down to being able to process the information from your text in a way your readers can understand.

English as a Native or Second Language
I accept a lot of guest articles and see a lot of simple mistakes. Believe it or not, those who speak English as a second language tend to submit articles which are more grammatically correct than those speak it natively. I believe it's because those who speak English as a second language tend to put more effort into spell checking and grammar checking their articles.
I can only assume that native English speakers, regardless of the form of English (American, British, etc.), are more confident in English usage, but I really can't be sure. I just know that I have to "fix" more of the articles written by native English speakers than the non-native English speakers.
Probably one of the most annoying things that I come across is when the writer switches from first person writing to third person writing intermittently and sometimes within the same sentence. This can be avoided by using a grammar checker of some kind – natural writing should be read naturally.
Spell Checkers and Grammar Checkers
The majority of the people who write online use one version or another of the Microsoft Windows operating system. This means that the best spell checkers and grammar checkers available are designed to run on Windows. Spell checkers seem to be included with every kind of text editor whereas grammar checkers (ones that actually work right) seem to only be included in specific text editors, like Microsoft Word. There's even a spell checker built into the Firefox web browser.
I like using Ubuntu as my preferred flavor of Linux. Unfortunately, the grammar checker built into OpenOffice.org (and the forked LibreOffice) leaves a lot to be desired and I have yet to find anything for Linux that compares to Word. It is for this reason alone that even if I use Ubuntu, I will run Windows under VirtualBox just so I can use a grammar checker that works well. Now, Word isn't even close to being perfect but so far, it's been better than no grammar checker at all. I fully intend to buy WhiteSmoke to replace Word because from what I've seen of it, it's much more accurate.
Types of Online Writing
How professional do you want your online writing to appear? If you're writing on a personal blog, for example, it probably doesn't matter if you're even close to perfect. Of course, how many visitors do you really expect to read it?
I won't even get into the types of writing that social networks find acceptable. That's a whole different ballgame. Professional online writing is designed to get a lot more readers. It's what I try to do all the time. Even if I use a colloquialism, I need to make sure it's spelled correctly and if I use a cliché of some kind, it needs to be in the right context. Spell checkers and grammar checkers help a lot in this regard.
Nothing can replace traditional proofreading completely, but using the right tools can reduce or eliminate most of the errors so that proofreading doesn't take as long."

Personally, I'm not a perfectionist either. But I do like to be professional.

the only thing I really see ELEC forums for is to chat with other ELEC minded people and learn a thing or two and pick up on new tricks of the trade....

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but mine differs here. Forums aren't only used to chat, learn, and pick up things.

They sometimes have very important other uses, such as technical support. Controller acting up? Broken?

People use the forums to go about fixing their problems. This isn't just chat or learning—customers need help!

Ultimately in my mind, that is #1.

So when people have crazy flame wars and do things that aren't as important, I usually stop it.

Chatting is great, don't get my wrong, but it comes second to when people have real issues.

I like the fact that you, Fredrow, are helping the do-it-yourself guys with your excellent xbox 360 controller modding knowledge.

That is a great thing as well.

(A little side note to the MODERATORS here at V360, if this topic is located in the wrong section can you please move it to the correct section since I'm just a fake/knock-off MODERATOR and will not be able to move it after I post it..... My MODERATOR status is like a Chinese pair of Air Jordan XI) [Nice metaphor!]

It is a review, I'd say it is in the correct section. You aren't at all a "fake or knock-off" Moderator.

One does not need powers to help mankind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fredrow

Dude really man??? I'm glad you spent all that time on a couple sentences that I dropped but nothing about the ****py analog sticks....
To answer your huge first part of your post that has nothing to do at all with the topic of this thread. Do you spend as much time on one post as you would on a lab report? Interrogatories? Resume Cover Letter? I can say for a fact that I don't/wouldn't....Those other writing documents take a lot more time also those documents really do need spelling & grammar & all that jazz. But instead its just a ELEC forum.... Many different age groups in here, using many different GUI devices, maybe even speaking different languages; but all talking about the same general topic of electronics based stuff.....

Now to don't get me wrong; but isn't the ticket support system for the major problems with peoples controllers?

NYjetsNY1 said:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but mine differs here. Forums aren't only used to chat, learn, and pick up things.

They sometimes have very important other uses, such as technical support. Controller acting up? Broken?

I'm not sure if you actually read the quote of my words; but isn't ELEC short for electronics? When other electronics minded people talk; what's the odds of them talking about electronics? Also if someone ask another person a question about electronics, and then that person answered the question about electronics; wouldn't that be considered Technical support? Oh your controller is acting up; hey here a cool trick that I know to solve that. I figured it out like 4 months ago, it really saved my ace a couple time! Yo dude, I'm not here to talk 'ish or do whatever your trying to get at, but this was a huge post you left which had nothing to do about the topic but I guess if that original post got to you this bad... Then my bad dude....

And yo, you read way to deep into things! Nice metaphor! That's all it was dude.... How can one poke fun at others if one can't poke fun at self??

Last edited:

Fredrow

Oh..... Bad word alert.... LOL....

Is the word that starts like "Cr" and ends with "appy" considered a bad/swear word?

****py

Krier023

Useful Poster
Forums are for people to jot down their ideas as they come to them. I am not going to write my forum posts like an english paper. Partially because of the difference in age groups, and partially because I forget what I am writing if I try to write fancy, but mostly because of the difference in scholar throughout the forums. Now I can't stand it when people purposely try to spell with numbers and symbols in their words, but nobody on this forum really does that. I also don't think I have seen anyone on this forum that speak a different language than english, as the majority of viking products are sold to canada, america, and the uk, where the primary language is english. I'm not trying to pick apart your ideas or anything, but its really not that big a deal. If you really have that much of a problem with it then you can go around and fix every single grammatical error on the forums.

It was both analog sticks. I kind of explained in that long rambling on post of my theory on why the analog sticks were bad. I think the tolerance of the POTs is to high. I would think that the stock Microsoft analog sticks are a 1% tolerance or even a 5% but I'm guessing more of 1% and the sticks that I reviewed might be like 10% tolerance which would make a difference.... But like I stated its just my theory.... Also as I remember resistors and POTs are components that very rarely come out of the factor-plants as a defective product just because of how simple of a product it is to make and how difficult it is to screw up.... Not 100% on that so don't quote me on it....hahaha.... Yeah I was gonna return them but since they are used and EM charges 20% for re-stocking I figured screw-it, not worth my time for less than a dub....

Also I don't care about your spelling/grammatical errors; this ain't school, were not taking a test..... Plus its just a forum and the only thing I really see ELEC forums for is to chat with other ELEC minded people and learn a thing or two and pick up on new tricks of the trade.... Now others out there in the world do care about about the spelling/grammar stuff and may just fix it for ya!!!! lol....

Yeah I had no idea how POTs worked. I know that when turned, they change resistance, but not how, or why. I am fairly interested in electronics, but am not very knowledgeable in them yet. I am just a sophomore at a high school, and the tech classes offered at my school are complete garbage. Did your degree in electronics open many job opportunities for you? I was reading an article in the newspaper that was talking about how many of the electronic jobs are being outsourced to different countries, as the labor costs are so much cheaper.

Xx Binno xX

Forums are for people to jot down their ideas as they come to them. I am not going to write my forum posts like an english paper. Partially because of the difference in age groups, and partially because I forget what I am writing if I try to write fancy, but mostly because of the difference in scholar throughout the forums. Now I can't stand it when people purposely try to spell with numbers and symbols in their words, but nobody on this forum really does that. I also don't think I have seen anyone on this forum that speak a different language than english, as the majority of viking products are sold to canada, america, and the uk, where the primary language is english. I'm not trying to pick apart your ideas or anything, but its really not that big a deal. If you really have that much of a problem with it then you can go around and fix every single grammatical error on the forums.

Yeah I had no idea how POTs worked. I know that when turned, they change resistance, but not how, or why. I am fairly interested in electronics, but am not very knowledgeable in them yet. I am just a sophomore at a high school, and the tech classes offered at my school are complete garbage. Did your degree in electronicsi open many job opportunities for you? I was reading an article in the newspaper that was talking about how many of the electronic jobs are being outsourced to different countries, as the labor costs are so much cheaper.
I do believe he is getting a job working for Microsoft . Also I love when fredrow and nyjetsny1 go at it I think its funny

P.s. great review interesting stuff

NYjetsNY1

Yeah I had no idea how POTs worked. I know that when turned, they change resistance, but not how, or why. I am fairly interested in electronics, but am not very knowledgeable in them yet. I am just a sophomore at a high school, and the tech classes offered at my school are complete garbage. Did your degree in electronics open many job opportunities for you? I was reading an article in the newspaper that was talking about how many of the electronic jobs are being outsourced to different countries, as the labor costs are so much cheaper.

Oh, no no no lol. I don't have a problem with other people misspelling or using bad grammar. Sure it can hurt to look at, but it isn't a big deal. For me though, I can't bring myself to do that. Maybe I am a perfectionist in that my writing has to be perfect 24/7. Guess so? In my time here, I have actually seen some things from people who speak English as a second language. It does make it harder to read.

Dude really man??? I'm glad you spent all that time on a couple sentences that I dropped but nothing about the ****py analog sticks....
To answer your huge first part of your post that has nothing to do at all with the topic of this thread. Do you spend as much time on one post as you would on a lab report? Interrogatories? Resume Cover Letter?

My post probably took me a minute or so. I copied and pasted most of it and I can type nearly 90 words per minute.

I just think as I type and put it down. On a Lab report, Interrogation, or Resume Cover letter I'd spend probably an hour at minimum.

Back to the analog sticks, I guess I wouldn't get them after what you wrote about them!

And yo, you read way to deep into things! Nice metaphor! That's all it was dude.... How can one poke fun at others if one can't poke fun at self??

I do enjoy a good metaphor!

I'm not sure if you actually read the quote of my words; but isn't ELEC short for electronics? When other electronics minded people talk; what's the odds of them talking about electronics? Also if someone ask another person a question about electronics, and then that person answered the question about electronics; wouldn't that be considered Technical support? Oh your controller is acting up; hey here a cool trick that I know to solve that. I figured it out like 4 months ago, it really saved my ace a couple time!

The forums aren't only for electronics minded people to talk.

Fredrow

I do believe he is getting a job working for Microsoft . Also I love when fredrow and nyjetsny1 go at it I think its funny

P.s. great review interesting stuff

Nah, the Microsoft job fell through; but I guess there is always next time!!

The forums aren't only for electronics minded people to talk.

I think your trying to hard to make me look bad or something!

I would think that everyone who visits the V360 forums are interested in electronics to some degree.....

NYjetsNY1

Nah, the Microsoft job fell through; but I guess there is always next time!!

I think your trying to hard to make me look bad or something!

I would think that everyone who visits the V360 forums are interested in electronics to some degree.....

Make you look bad? Why would I do that?

I do disagree with you on that, but I also believe that some people who visit the V360 forums AREN'T interested in electronics to ANY degree.

Fredrow

Dude, that is super sick that your already getting into electronics already at this point in your life. Just by seeing your lab setup shows that your way more past the experimental stage of working with electronics. Yeah my degree has opened up a bunch of doors for me containing to job openings. (If you want more info about jobs and such from my point of view just shoot me a PM and I will fill you in about it! I'm cool with telling you about it but don't want to post it here for everyone to read/comment about!!) Also about the newspaper article you read, the information is correct but really doesn't contain to people like me. People with an AS degree and higher can score really great jobs. My guess is that article was more referring to product assembly line jobs. Companies who are still doing that here in America will hire people who are High School grads or have there Good Enough Degree (aka G.E.D.) and then pay them just a tad over minimum wadge, because all they are doing is soldering components onto PCB's. But like you mentioned from that article, all that is now being outsourced or has been replaced with pick & place machines that do the job. I personally only got into electronics like four years ago. I was interested with electronics growing up but not nothing like how your into electronics now. If you enjoy it then keep at it and if you need any info on good books to read to learn more on your own let me know and I can hook you up. I got a lot of the text books I used in PDF form. I was lucky to have a great professor teach me what I know now and he really took his time to pick out the best books to use for teaching. A lot of the books he used for his classes were books that he said we would use throughout our lives in the electronics field.

Fredrow

Make you look bad? Why would I do that?

I do disagree with you on that, but I also believe that some people who visit the V360 forums AREN'T interested in electronics to ANY degree.

Well maybe your not trying to make me look bad; but that is the only thing I could think of because you keep wanting to argue with me about stuff...

Wouldn't someone have to have some interested in electronics to go out and spend $100+ on a modified gaming controller?

Krier023

Useful Poster
Yeah at this point, the things I have been doing, I do, but do not know the reasons, or how it works. The station is for fixing/reflowing xboxs, and I understand how that works completely, as most of the processing units get to hot, and eventually solder breaks, or forms a cold solder joint. I reflow them and they work. Although, if there are any power problems, like burnt MOSFETs, I can replace them, but I wouldn't be able to troubleshoot it. Also, the JTAG hack for example, I know it modifies the smc, but to me, I don't know what the smc is, or really what it does. I'm fairly good at soldering (purple viking chips are no problem for me), but still a lot to learn. Truthfully I think I got started after I sent my controller to you to get modded, year and a half maybe 2 years ago (black xcm piano controller). I went out, bought a 5 dollar soldering iron, and put that pic into another controller. Ill shoot you a pm though, i'd be interested in reading up.

NYjetsNY1

Well maybe your not trying to make me look bad; but that is the only thing I could think of because you keep wanting to argue with me about stuff...

Wouldn't someone have to have some interested in electronics to go out and spend $100+ on a modified gaming controller?

Nope, some people just hate losing so much that they want that extra boost to help them win.

NYjetsNY1

Yeah but these same people enjoy playing video games.... So they do have a tiny little bit of interest into electronics....

Not necessarily.

Kid A - John Doe.

John Doe's friends all have Xbox 360s.

John Doe is upset, he doesn't have one. For Christmas he gets one. Also Call of Duty!

John Doe is not doing well in Call of Duty. He is upset yet again. He has his parents buy him a cool looking modded controller because it A. looks cool B. he believes it'll help him win.

John Doe isn't interested in electronics. John Doe just wants to have what his friends have, and to have a controller that looks cool that helps him win! When his friends come over, he constantly brags about how cool his controller is. He visits the forums to thank viking360 for their awesome controller.

There is an example of someone visiting viking360 that isn't interested in electronics.

It depends how technical one wants to get. One could say anyone using a computer has to have an interest in electronics to use it. I disagree, but one may think that.

Status
Not open for further replies.