Cannot get the USB port working!

daverdfw

SO i have gone over this a ton of times, and looked at the DIY guide a bunch, when i have the USB plugged into a computer it will freak out the USB controller and kill the USB ports. When i first did the mod it was detected correctly and the p3 and p4 led would flash., but since then i have never gotten it to be recognized. any thoughts?

odingalt

Staff member
Hi there

Which modchip are you installing (and which console PS3 or XBOX360?)

(There are several different modchips and guidance will vary greatly depending on which install you are doing.)

odingalt

Staff member
Hi Daverdfw

Ok so Ragnarok on a CG2 and you are not getting the USB to recognize. Worked one time and then stopped working. I would just keep double and triple checking the wires from the jack to the modchip. Make sure that the wires did not get crushed or pinched in between the plastic shell of the controller when you closed it up and put the screws in.

I.e. quite often when I am doing an install it works great but when I tighten all 7 screws it stops working and 99 times out of 100 this means that a wire got pinched. You should inspect all four wires from end to end to look for signs of nicks or crimps from getting squashed. Re touch all the solder connections on the jack end as that can be a hard connection to make the little wire to the little peg. Or it could just mean in general something in your installation is shorting out against something else, if any part of the modchip is shorting where it shouldn't nothing will work and that includes the USB.

Do you have any pictures of your work? This is pretty delicate work so you might just get comments like "ugh that's messy do it all over again" but often guys will post pics of installs using 24 or 26 gauge wire and we really recommend 30 awg wire and no bigger for this kind of install. Electrical tape on the back of the mod. Strip the wires very very short only as much as you need to make the connection. etc. etc. We do this install reptetively at our shop and the trick is to follow all the instructions and guidelines in the manual i.e. stripping short, routing the wires so they don't get pinched, and all that. It only takes one bad or intermittent short circuit to ruin the whole install and when you are talking 20+ wires and 40+ solder connections it just takes on bad one :-x

Also if you have dead or dying batteries it can cause the USB not to function but not sure what would cause your computer's ports to all get killed. You could always try a different computer or you could try plugging the white programming cable into the controller FIRST and then into the computer LAST. Also you absolutely must use the included cable, you can't use other 3.5mm IPOD cables you might have as they were not all created equal. Ours is for an older generation IPOD shuffle like first or second gen, you can't use the later gen ipod shuffle cables.

daverdfw

sure i can take some more pics, i posed some on my thread in the anything goes section, i used 30 gauge wire. i also tried connecting it to computer before ever closing the case as to not pinch the wires. also tried on 3 different computers, with the charging cable attached, with a rechargeable battery pack, and with 2 AA batteries. Could something on the chip have died?

daverdfw

i get this error message

USB Notification: The device "HubDevice" @ 0xfa100000 has caused an overcurrent condition. The port it is attached to has been disabled

daverdfw

is it possible for a chip to die? i cant even get it to turn on now :(

well i changed batteries and i think its working agian excpet the P3 led is really faint now for some reason, weird

Last edited:

1tonpete

I could see in your pics that the player 3 led wire was pinched and has copper showing. It needs to be tight to the analog stick or else the screw stud will crush it.

daverdfw

so this is weird, i removed the mod completly, the controller works fine, but the p3 led is still barely visible, and the P4 led wont work at all. not sure what else i can look for?

dogeatdog

Touch up on those solder points (p3 and p4) ? You didn't happen to take them off and put them back on reversed ? I once had to change orientation of 2 leds on a batch of 50 PS3 usb sticks back in the days because of a manufacturing fault..

odingalt

Staff member
I don't have any good help or advice, this is not an issue we're run into with this chip :-x

dogeatdog

Well, in case anything better pops your mind, try removing them and measure the voltage when turning the controller on. Just to see if it's a problem in the traces leading up to P3/P4 or in the leds themselves.