Capture Card?

v360Reflex

black magic is good but the only downside is you need a computer desktop it cant be a laptop i recommend either the Platinum dazzle or the PVR

Ben

v360Reflex said:
black magic is good but the only downside is you need a computer desktop it cant be a laptop i recommend either the Platinum dazzle or the PVR

Why can it not be laptop :(

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Oooh... PCI express is rare even on desktops as far as I know... And USB 3.0 is within the past couple months unless you've got a PCI card for it...

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

PS3andCOD said:
Oooh... PCI express is rare even on desktops as far as I know... And USB 3.0 is withing the past couple months unless you've got a PCI card for it...
PCI express on factory made desktops are rare but if you build your own pc and buy a nice motherboard you will most likely have 5 or 6 PCI express slots

blair

I have a black magic intensity pro and it runs smooth on my mac altho I do have an 8 core 2.66 Xeon mac pro with 16GB of RAM.

odingalt

Staff member
I have the black magic intensity pro... for $199 I think is what I paid. I have mixed feelings about the card. I use it to record my XBOX Live 360. Here are the things that annoy me about this card:

-It didn't work out of the box. I had to go back and forth between a few different versions of their software/firmware before I could get it to work. Works good now after some fiddling.
-1080P? Nope. It only records 1080I. This means you're not recording true HD in all its splendor. I aboslutely despise companies who hide this fact in their products. "HDTV this" and "HDTV that", and then in tiny print somewhere buried deep in the manual is "*only records 1080I".
-There is absolutely no way to get full screen on your computer. So if you thought you were going to plug your XBOX 360 into this capture card and then play on your computer's monitor in full screen, guess again.
-Along the lines of the comment above, I ended up buying a new HDTV. There is a 'pass through' port on the Intensity. So basically you plug your XBOX 360 console into the Intensity's input, your computer can record it, and then you plug in a separate HDTV into the Intensity's output. The pros: there seems to be zero lag in passing through this signal. The cons: you actually have to have their bundled Media Express software open and running AND in the FOREGROUND of your computer, in order for the passthrough to turn on and work. Of course again the pass-through is only passing 1080I to your TV, so you no longer are actually watching the game in true HDTV.

I guess for $199 what can you really expect. Knowing what I know now (and because I have a larger budget because producing videos is an important part of running a rapidfire controller business), I would have bought a more expensive card from a different company altogether. You can see examples of the Black Magic in action if you watch of any my videos that are newer than say about April 2010 on my youtube channel. But I don't think there are really any products in this price range, so...