Controller won't power back up from Off in mod mode

UrbannGuerilla

I just got my controller today..(actually yesterday, it's after midnight) the programmable one. I can't get the controller to come on (from "off") into mod mode. By mod mode I mean holding the mod button and hitting the PSHome button to power up in mod mode from "controller off" (lights off). The only way I have figured out to "fix" the problem is I have to hook it back up to my PC using the programming software, choose "reboot modchip" (like I had just re-programmed it) and then it comes on and works fine from there on out, until it turns off. This wouldn't be a problem if I played at home all the time, but I don't always play at home. Seems very cumbersome to HAVE to have a PC present w/ the software on it everytime I want to play a game in other places other than home. When I try to "mod power on" from "controller off".. the controller WILL come on, but it will NOT accept any mod + any button commands (ie- works like a standard controller w/ standard features) until I "reboot modchip". I have tried powering the controller off, then back on.. .switching controller channels (player 1, to player 2, then back) .. and nothing works EXCEPT rebooting the modchip via PC on the programming software. I've searched the forum for answers but didn't find any. What's wrong here?

UrbannGuerilla

Just to add anything else I think might be important.. I already updated the PC programming software to version 1.3.. I followed the directions for the firmware driver update. (erase, find .hex file, program.. and I got the "success" message).

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member
Seems very cumbersome to HAVE to have a PC present w/ the software on it everytime I want to play a game in other places other than home.

Indeed! Good thing this wasn't the way we designed the controller, so this behavior isn't normal :-/

Not sure what is going on here. Have you tried poking a paperclip into the reset hole on the back of the controller? Has this been going on with the USB charging cable plugged into the controller? If the mod switch is held while powering up the controller or I think while charging up the controller it will go into programming mode. But it's supposed to come back out of programming mode if: the controller is turned off, the controller is reset through the hole, or if the PC software is used to reboot the mod. (So by design you're not supposed to have to hook it up to the PC to get the controller back out of programming mode)

UrbannGuerilla

Indeed! Good thing this wasn't the way we designed the controller, so this behavior isn't normal :-/

Not sure what is going on here. Have you tried poking a paperclip into the reset hole on the back of the controller? Has this been going on with the USB charging cable plugged into the controller? If the mod switch is held while powering up the controller or I think while charging up the controller it will go into programming mode. But it's supposed to come back out of programming mode if: the controller is turned off, the controller is reset through the hole, or if the PC software is used to reboot the mod. (So by design you're not supposed to have to hook it up to the PC to get the controller back out of programming mode)

I tried resetting it through the hole, the same thing happens after the reset. This happens whether cables are hooked to it or not- cables don't seem to make a difference. ( I just tested it WITH charge cable hooked up (it wouldn't power on normally OR in mod mode with the charge cable hooked up), WITH programming cable hooked up, WITH both cables hooked up, and without ANY cables hooked up. Same results with all of the above methods. It will not power on into mod mode without rebooting the modchip via PC software.

Other than this issue.. which is kind of a big deal... I really like the controller. What else should I do? Or what can be done? I'm not asking for anything special, I just want the controller to work properly.

odingalt

Staff member
Other than this issue.. which is kind of a big deal... I really like the controller. What else should I do? Or what can be done? I'm not asking for anything special, I just want the controller to work properly.

I'm grasping at straws here but here's my last idea. You said you just got your controller and then installed v1.3 firmware. It should have already come with v1.3 if you just ordered this week. Did you remember to click ERASE first before programming v1.3 into your controller? If not, it could have corrupted something in the firmware It has to be erased first before programmed.

If that doesn't help then you'll have to open a ticket to have it sent back to the shop :-x

UrbannGuerilla

I read the thread where you said people don't seem to want to follow the instructions on the firmware upgrade before I performed my own upgrade. The "erase" part scared me too, thinking I would totally erase everything and never get it back for some stupid reason, and it would be my fault. So with that in mind, I scoured the forum for upgrade threads and read them in full before I performed my own. I absolutely followed the instructions to the T. Erase, find Hex file, program, hit mod button, and I got the confirmation that it was successful.

With all that said.. I might have just figured this out. Previously, EVERYTIME I powered on the controller I would hold the mod button AND hit the PSHome button, because I took it that was what needed to be done to get it to power up into mod mode. Doing it this way it would always "boot" into "regular controller mode". Just for giggles after your last reply - I powered the controller off, and JUST hit the PSHome button. I have did that about 10 times now (both ways, mod+PSHome/ JUST PSHome) and doing it the way I just described (PSHome ONLY) has brought it into the mod mode every time. Maybe I incorrectly thought mod+PSHome was necessary every time you powered the controller up? (Correct me if I'm wrong) Mod+PSHome always goes into "regular mode" and everytime I just hit PSHome it has came on into the mod mode. Does this sound correct? Did I have it backwards?

odingalt

Staff member
Mod + PSHome = controller goes into modchip/PC programming mode (mods are NOT available)

PSHome = controller goes into playing mode (mods are available)

Glad you figured this out! I didn't think to ask explicity "Hey are you absolutely sure you are not pressing the modchip when you power up the controller" :)

UrbannGuerilla

Glad you figured this out! I didn't think to ask explicity "Hey are you absolutely sure you are not pressing the modchip when you power up the controller"
icon_e_smile.gif

Odin, Since this case is pretty much closed. I wanted to add something. I looked at several other manufacturers of modded controllers in my search for the "best" modded controller for the best value, and the most (or equivalent) features as the competition. I won't name them by (specific) name here but I'm sure you are very familiar with them. (EM,XM,CC,GM, Viking, and a couple others I don't recall right now)
All seem like good manufacturers of controllers. Most of them offer the same options as far as mods, although some do offer more physical (non-mod) options. Yours were not only the most cost effective in my opinion, (some reach above 200$) but I REALLY liked the fact that you don't charge $12.95 +/- per "feature" chosen, or charge additional for each update, which can get expensive. Your controllers offer all the mods, and they are one set price. (Unless you want to customize the actual controller w/ a dipped shell or non-factory joysticks, lights, etc..) In addition, as I stated reading the forums about the firmware upgrade- I extensively searched for reviews on each manufacturer. I did read some horror stories about some. Viking stood out far beyond the others as far as customer service and satisfaction by what previous and current customers had to say about your company and products. That sealed the deal with myself and Viking. Now that this little issue is over I can say they were right, and they certainly helped direct me to the right place through research. I appreciate that someone with some authority at Viking is available directly instead of a representative that may or may not know exactly what they are talking about.

With that being said, I'm not only a Viking customer, but also a supporter now. I understand companies always have to change some things, but the items I listed above is what got me here to begin with. The fact that I'm speaking directly to the head of Viking controllers is a huge benefit and peace of mind for me, and I thought it would be helpful to you if I shared this information with you.

Thank you!

Shaun, FL

odingalt

Staff member
Thanks Shaun!!!!! I will pass this along to the employees and my wife as well (Viking's #1 supporter), they're always glad to hear positive words from a happy customer!