DIY Kit

Legacy

Ok Today I Purchased My Kit And I Had A Previous Thread Asking What I Would Need To Mod The Controller And I Was Told A Soldering Iron Aswell As An Extracto Knife So I Have Both Now I Will Not Be Modding My Controller But My Father Will Now He Used To Study Electricity And Has Experience In Using A Soldering Iron But When I Showed Him The Guide He Said Seems Easy Now As I Was Exploring Through The Forums I Saw Other People Say Its Not Worth It Because You Need All The Supplies Or Atleast Half In The List So Im Confused Is it Extremely Hard For Someone Without Xbox Controller Modding Experience Or Just To A First Timer Sorry For Bothering Just Really Want This To Work And Im Young So I Can't Afford To Buy A Controller Thanks For Your Attention Guys.

edgar

Legacy said:
Ok Today I Purchased My Kit And I Had A Previous Thread Asking What I Would Need To Mod The Controller And I Was Told A Soldering Iron Aswell As An Extracto Knife So I Have Both Now I Will Not Be Modding My Controller But My Father Will Now He Used To Study Electricity And Has Experience In Using A Soldering Iron But When I Showed Him The Guide He Said Seems Easy Now As I Was Exploring Through The Forums I Saw Other People Say Its Not Worth It Because You Need All The Supplies Or Atleast Half In The List So Im Confused Is it Extremely Hard For Someone Without Xbox Controller Modding Experience Or Just To A First Timer Sorry For Bothering Just Really Want This To Work And Im Young So I Can't Afford To Buy A Controller Thanks For Your Attention Guys.
first is not that easy but u dont need to be a PRO to make it, just start slow, always looking that the pics, true that will take time if u dont no must about modding but slow u can make it in 2 to 3 hours.

odingalt

Staff member
It really varies from person to person. Not to embarass anyone, but my girlfriend was able to get it right on the first try using a handful of diagrams and an already completed sleeper circuit board sitting in front of her.

She got it right herself on the second try with only the diagrams.

Now she does it from memory.

She had NEVER soldered before. But then again, she is a pretty awesome chick and she had me (the inventor) to give her pointers. But I didn't really tell her much that wasn't already in the install guide. You really gotta take the patience to do clean work. I love my tweezers. It's not complicated stuff, it's just TINY stuff. lol

haVOC1787

You will also need some 30gauge kynar wire it can be picked up at radio shack. Its a small role like 50ft for $3. I also recomend a hot glue gun

odingalt

Staff member
You might be able to get by with using soldering wick instead of the desoldering tool, but if I had my choice I'd use the desoldering tool.

Or you can just use snippers and try to trim down the points it's saying you should suck out with the desoldering tool but it's difficult and you might damage something that way.

Third option is triple up on the electrical tape and also jam a craft 'foamie' between the mod chip and the green xbox circuit board so the two don't short out when you close the case together.

I would recommend following the instructions to the letter if you can, higher chances of having a successful installation. I created the chip, but honestly I wouldn't even try it if all I had was a radio shack iron.

Legacy

Thx For The Advice But Honestly I Think Im Far off putting to much solder when soldering on the controller beacuse i instantly remove the solder wire after i see the smoke but let me get the idea right ive seen the pictures over 20 times but want to make sure from you the creator to check if my idea is correct

So ALL i have to do is solder the point in the chip for the button and make it go to the other side were the chip would be and solder it there and that would be good enough because if thats all im felling more confident

Also if i decide to just get it modded by you guys can I just send it with the chip would it be slightly cheaper?

odingalt

Staff member
Yes that's the gist, one end of the wire goes on the green XBOX circuit board, the other end goes on the viking chip.

Repeat the process for all the buttons.

You realy have to pay very very very close attention to the 'keep out areas', you must route the wires in a specific place or else when you go to close up your controller they will get pinched off and the whole mod won't work.

Start with power, ground, sync button, and the two PnC wires. These are enough to try to flash your controller using hidbootloader.exe I would do this, instead of trying to install all the wires.

Once you're able to flash it using the hidbootloader.exe successfully, maybe you would install the rest of the wires one or two at a time.

Legacy

Ok My father told me to keep out the traces next to the points to soilder because they will most likely get messed up is this true?

IrishStyle

I personally found it easier to solder to the "Via Hole". My thinking was if I skrew that up I can always solder to the trace. You can mess up the trace by soldering to it and then pulling the wire and taking the copper trace with it.

Legacy

did you mod yours? if you did did you like messed up on any of the traces by the looks of it doesen't look as hard but it seems very small lol

Not to sound ignorant or anything but can someone direct me in the guide how to connect the piece that is sopposed 2 go to your computer because i dont see it

IrishStyle

Yes I modded mine. Soldering to traces is not that difficult but they can get damaged. I have messed up traces when changing the Ring Of lIght leds. But they can be repaired if not damaged too much. Here is a link to the DIY chip page with the install instructions, 3.5mm jack pinout, and High Resolution Pictures. At the bottom of the intall instructions is the wiring diagram for the PNC(Play N Charge) and 3.5 mm jack. Hope this helps :cool:

DIY Kit Information Page

Legacy

Yeah Ive Seen Those Pics But Besides the two buttons to push there comes another 1 but idk were to put it for the 3.5m idk were to connect the usb is it to the chip because i dont see where i could connect it

IrishStyle

Here is 2 links that should help,one is for the drilling location of the 3.5mm jack courtesy of Fredrow and the other is for the wiring of the jack to the chip. Also in order to use the 3.5mm jack you need a 3.5mm to USB cable in order to connect to your PC. I use the one for my Ipod Shuffle. They can be purchased at Fry's for $20 or $5-$10 off Ebay. I am sure there is cheaper cables too.

3.5mm Jack Drilling Location

3.5mm Jack Pinout

Fredrow

About the cables. I have been talking with E and trying to get him to put up on the products page a spot for the USB/3.5mm cable. I am sure if you email him and ask to buy a cable from him that he will sell you one.

Also one good trick that I use when scraping off the green solder mask is I use 200 grit sandpaper. You DON'T have to press hard, and just go back and forth over either the VIA holes or the trace were you are going to solder to.

Legacy

Sorry but Im confused like ok the package comes with the viking chip the two buttons for the mod and the usb to connect it to the controller and the tork skrew and another piece which im guessing is wats the usb is going to be together with now how is that piece going to be connected to the viking chip it said to solder 3 points onto it but then after i do so where do i place the piece