Don't Worry!

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

I'm a member on another forum that uses both, it seems to be pretty effective over there... People who post usless things tend to get negative rep, not positive rep. The mods and the people who know what they're doing have significant amounts of rep, and the peopel who are always wrong or never say anythign usefull have low or even negative rep. Thanks by it's self could be just as bad as rep, depends on how the people on the forum use it... On the other forum thanks is used for significant things, and the rep is used for helpfull, apreciated or funny comments.
would this website be TTG?

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

i have to agree what about implementing some system where once you get to a certain number of -REP you get auto banned? i would assume that would make the job for mods/admins alot easier

obo

i have to agree what about implementing some system where once you get to a certain number of -REP you get auto banned? i would assume that would make the job for mods/admins alot easier
This could easily be abused by people. The only way around this would be to do something like what se7ensins does and have appointed rep givers. Everybody can give positive rep, but only the appointed rep givers can give negative rep.

NYjetsNY1

This could easily be abused by people. The only way around this would be to do something like what se7ensins does and have appointed rep givers. Everybody can give positive rep, but only the appointed rep givers can give negative rep.

Obo is right. I like his suggestion.

odingalt

Staff member
There are a lot of upsides to these kinds of plugins/addons, given the right community, and given that the administrative staff can administer it properly. There are also a lot of potential downsides. I for one, at most forums I visit, have terrible rep, which annoys me, while post-whoring morons have rep up in the thousands. I've never quite understood how this can happen. Example (this is paraphrasing my experience on some other servers):

Me: "Hi, I'm new to the forums. I just signed up. Nice to meet you all. I am intelligent but because I'm not a regular, my rep says I'm a "shit eater". I read through the FAQ and I read your recent post on blahblahblah. I would like to disagree on a few points and bring more information to the table.".

Post-whoring regular troll with rep 10,000: "Blah blah blah, all shit is coming out of my mouth, but because my rep is so big and I'm a regular here, I have lots of starts next to my name and people respect me even though neither I or those people have any clue what they are talking about."

Other regulars: "Yeah, we agree with post-whoring regular troll. He's been here longer than you, new user, and look at your rep! We don't know what we're talking about, and since we don't know, we'll just agree with troll and give him some more rep, because we like watching him give the smack-down to noobs like you"

In other words, rep is dangerous under the wrong circumstances in that it can breed an entire tribe of a morons on your server.

With that all said, maybe we should give it a try. Also Jets mentioned the thank-you plugin to me about 5 minutes after I launched the new forums lol. If you guys think this would improve the quality of the user experience in the forums I'm willing to give it a try? So long as I can find a reliable plug-in for VB (even if I have to pay for it) I don't want a flimsy, unsupported open-source plugin that is going to leave a gaping security hole in my server.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
I think you ought to try out the rep, Viking has always been pretty good for helping the noobs. Some places they just bash the new people, or they have such a long rules list everyone new breaks some and gets negative rep. I don't think that will happen here. You can always take it out if it's not working out... Maybe the swearword thing can be adjusted so it doesn't block parts of words? A few words up there have *'s in them...

obo

Would it be possible to implement a rep system that when you clicked to give a person rep, it would ask what your reasoning was. There could be a few options such as it was helpful, it was intelligent, or even because it was funny. Then when people viewed your rep, it would show what they were best at. This way rep could be more accurate and even be monitored. Now I don't know if this kind of plug in exists for vbulliton, but I just thought I would suggest it.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Would it be possible to implement a rep system that when you clicked to give a person rep, it would ask what your reasoning was. There could be a few options such as it was helpful, it was intelligent, or even because it was funny. Then when people viewed your rep, it would show what they were best at. This way rep could be more accurate and even be monitored. Now I don't know if this kind of plug in exists for vbulliton, but I just thought I would suggest it.
to add on to that....what about a neg rep system similar to the rep system on xbox...where you could say this post is vulgar/usless or spam?

odingalt

Staff member
I think you ought to try out the rep, Viking has always been pretty good for helping the noobs. Some places they just bash the new people, or they have such a long rules list everyone new breaks some and gets negative rep. I don't think that will happen here. You can always take it out if it's not working out... Maybe the swearword thing can be adjusted so it doesn't block parts of words? A few words up there have *'s in them...

Thanks. Yeah using this filter will take a bit of tweaking. I copy/pasted a dirty word list straight into VB's censorship options, but the list wasn't formatted properly for VB to understand what I wanted filtered. : - )

NYjetsNY1

There are a lot of upsides to these kinds of plugins/addons, given the right community, and given that the administrative staff can administer it properly. There are also a lot of potential downsides. I for one, at most forums I visit, have terrible rep, which annoys me, while post-whoring morons have rep up in the thousands. I've never quite understood how this can happen. Example (this is paraphrasing my experience on some other servers):

Me: "Hi, I'm new to the forums. I just signed up. Nice to meet you all. I am intelligent but because I'm not a regular, my rep says I'm a "**** eater". I read through the FAQ and I read your recent post on blahblahblah. I would like to disagree on a few points and bring more information to the table.".

Post-whoring regular troll with rep 10,000: "Blah blah blah, all **** is coming out of my mouth, but because my rep is so big and I'm a regular here, I have lots of starts next to my name and people respect me even though neither I or those people have any clue what they are talking about."

Other regulars: "Yeah, we agree with post-whoring regular troll. He's been here longer than you, new user, and look at your rep! We don't know what we're talking about, and since we don't know, we'll just agree with troll and give him some more rep, because we like watching him give the smack-down to noobs like you"

In other words, rep is dangerous under the wrong circumstances in that it can breed an entire tribe of a morons on your server.

With that all said, maybe we should give it a try. Also Jets mentioned the thank-you plugin to me about 5 minutes after I launched the new forums lol. If you guys think this would improve the quality of the user experience in the forums I'm willing to give it a try? So long as I can find a reliable plug-in for VB (even if I have to pay for it) I don't want a flimsy, unsupported open-source plugin that is going to leave a gaping security hole in my server.

I already sent you this link! http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=231666

Seems pretty awesome.

Xx Binno xX

I'm not even sure if there such a feature but, I was thinking of getting a capitalization feature. Example when you type "i" it get capitalized into "I" for you instead of hitting shift. Also when you start a sentence the first letter get capitalized. example, "h"i blah blah blah... with he feature it would turn into, "H"i blah blah blah... If anyone has used Microsoft word they no what I'm am talking about or basically any other program to type stuff on. Third a feature that would add a apostrophe in words like"im" to "I'm" or "dont" into "don't". I think that would look a little better when new members see that there a some what educate people on these forums :rolleyes:

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

I'm not even sure if there such a feature but, I was thinking of getting a capitalization feature. Example when you type "i" it get capitalized into "I" for you instead of hitting shift. Also when you start a sentence the first letter get capitalized. example, "h"i blah blah blah... with he feature it would turn into, "H"i blah blah blah... If anyone has used Microsoft word they no what I'm am talking about or basically any other program to type stuff on. Third a feature that would add a apostrophe in words like"im" to "I'm" or "dont" into "don't". I think that would look a little better when new members see that there a some what educate people on these forums :rolleyes:
If i post on my DROID or on my iPod touch it automaticly does that anyways...also i dont think that would be possible for a web service to do....then again i dont no much about servers/forums

JIM WALKER

Mine arrived instantly...but it still shows me a log in page even when I am already logged in,btw...remember me does not appear to respond either ! Besides all that...I much prefer this presentation,easier to use and easier to read...Thank you