Few questions about the DIY Kit

Ironman

Hello everybody,
I have a few questions about the DIY Kit?

1. Does the kit come with the newer 3.5mm jacks, or the older USB flash key?

2. I don't understand one part in the Duo Install http://www.viking360.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13

In the diagram below, I understand that you have to solder a connection from the "green" dot on the modchip, to the green dot on the controller board.

But do you also have "bridge" the two "green" points on the mod chip together?

VIKING360BACKDUO.jpg

4.According to the link below , I could theoretically replace the 3.5mm jack with lets say a female Mini A Usb connector, as long as I wire everything respectively. Right?
[url="http://www.viking360.com/ima...w.viking360.com/images/3.5mm%2 ... pinout.jpg[/url]

5. Instead of running wires to the #3 and #4 Led on the xbox, we could theoretically add two extra leds, as long as we connect it to ground?

Thanks

odingalt

Staff member
Good questions!

1. Neither at the moment. I rewrote the instructions so the user could modify the Play n' Charge port and re-use the Play n' Charge programming cable for full stealth. However this limits the functionality of the PnC cables (LED doesn't work, can't charge n' play at the same time, can only dock the controller in the cable when not in use). This thread has more info on the 3.5mm jacks viewtopic.php?f=22&t=54

2. You can pick either of those two points. Gameroms was just showing you the two alternate points and the copper trace on the modchip that already exists tying the two together. So no you don't have to bridge them together. Often I utilize both points, since "button A" and "right thumbstick" are also actually the USB D+ and D- data lines, respectively. Otherwise one has to put two wires into one hole.

3. Where did question 3 disappear to?

4. Yes you can use any type of jack or connector that you want. It's just a matter of finding/building the right cable to go with it. :) I like to power the controller with batteries during programming, so I only connect ground, d+ and d-. One could probably also set it up to program without batteries if they also connect USB power. You'll notice the modchip has two different power points "V" and "VU". VU meaning 'voltage usb'.

5. Yes. The forward voltage of the LED can't be too high or it might be dim or not illuminate at all, since, even though the LED would be 'external', they are still powered by the modchip, which is in turn powered by low voltage from the xbox controller (less than 3 volts)

Ironman

I appreciate the reply,

This cleared up ALOT of questions I had.

And Question 3 was if I had to "bridge the two green points together, Forgot to put the number :D

I ordered the DIY Kit yesterday, thanks for helping.