*fixed Controller LED acting up-new firmware won't power on

dudesikoff

Whenever I put a different battery pack besides the one that came with the controller, my LED's change colors over time, and then eventually completely disappear. Any ideas?

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Re: Controller LED's acting up?

dudesikoff said:
Whenever I put a different battery pack besides the one that came with the controller, my LED's change colors over time, and then eventually completely disappear. Any ideas?
thats how the new firmware for the power consumption works.....if you put that pack in with the PnC cable it will brighten right back up again.

dudesikoff

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
dudesikoff said:
thats how the new firmware for the power consumption works.....if you put that pack in with the PnC cable it will brighten right back up again.

I never installed the power consumption update

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

dudesikoff said:
M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
dudesikoff said:

I never installed the power consumption update
when did you buy your controller? are you on the 0.8.4.1b firmware?

dudesikoff

How do I install the latest firmware? check for updates then install I would assume?

odingalt

Staff member

Hey dudes,

No unfortunately the check for updates only updates the software for your PC. There is a manual process for updating the firmware. Depending on when you purchased - even if you purchased after the latest firmware update was released yours may have been sitting in a box on the shelf.

Hit up the video tutorials on the website I think it's like Chapter 4 that talks about updating the firmware. Also hit up the viking macro controller software downloads page, underneath the link for the PC software is another link with a firmware update tool and the firmware itself.

This should help increase your battery life! Also in addition to consuming less battery when the gamepad is not in use, in this firmware update is some code that will dim the LED's when your batteries are fully charged and then later as your battery is dying it will try to drive the LED's brighter.

dudesikoff

I installed the firmware exactly how the video says and now my controllers leds wont come on and it will not connect to my computer, but it works fine with my xbox. What went wrong?

odingalt

Staff member

Remove batteries.
Start holding down the guide button (haven't put the batteries in yet).
Insert the batteries (keep on holding that guide button the whole time).
After the batteries are in, keep holding the guide button another 1-2 seconds.

Does the controller power up like normal, LED's on and modchip functioning?

dudesikoff

The leds work fine now and it only goes into bootloader mode when I hold start with battery pack removed then insert it. Will that go away?

All mod functions work fine.

odingalt

Staff member

I had this happen to me one time, it happened to me when I used the firmwareupdater.exe "version 1" to program with the new power management firmware update. It won't go away on its own. What is happening is there are some 'configuration bits' within the modchip that aren't getting updated.

The problem seemed to solve itself when I installed the power management firmware with the new "version 2" firmware updater. Did you use the "version" firmware updater from the downloads page (you are absolutely 100% positive you used the one called firmwareupdaterv2.exe - this is new as of a couple weeks ago)

dudesikoff

odingalt said:
I had this happen to me one time, it happened to me when I used the firmwareupdater.exe "version 1" to program with the new power management firmware update. It won't go away on its own. What is happening is there are some 'configuration bits' within the modchip that aren't getting updated.

The problem seemed to solve itself when I installed the power management firmware with the new "version 2" firmware updater. Did you use the "version" firmware updater from the downloads page (you are absolutely 100% positive you used the one called firmwareupdaterv2.exe - this is new as of a couple weeks ago)

I did not use the new updater, I'll try that!

odingalt

Staff member

Ok, keep us posted if the new updater fixes your problem!

Yeah, my apologies for not finding a better way to communicate that there was a new updater. Nothing irreversibly bad happens if you use the old updater - except this problem you are having right now, where you have to start pressing your guide/start button before you even put the batteries in to get the mod to power up :).

dudesikoff

odingalt said:

I did not use the new updater, everything works properly now. Thanks again Odin!