general controller question

Rob0tHD

I just ordered my macro controller, and I'm wondering.. I saw on the videos and software for multi colored LED lights,did we have to pay extra for that? Because when I ordered the controller, I didn't notice that and I got blue LED lights.

thanks,
Robot

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

ModdingBros Representative
nope. Thats all part of the macro experiance. U can choose whatever color u want in any of your classes or make custom led flashes with your macros. The only color they dont have is white and the white led is only displayed in programming mode. When your batteries start to die the white leds turn a pinkish red color in programming mode.

Rob0tHD

So did I waste five bucks by ordering the other colored LED lights? Or do I benefit from having them?

There is no option anymore to pay $5 for ''Ring Of Light'' Colors for the macro controller... So I think you are confused... are you sure you ordered a Macro ? and not a Ragnarok?

Rob0tHD

I just looked at my receipt, you're right I over looked that. Thank you very much, I got a macro with everything blue, except the LED lights.

Thanks,
Robot

odingalt

Staff member
Welcome to the world of macro. (I could swear you already owned a macro?) In any case, welcome!

Rob0tHD

Welcome to the world of macro. (I could swear you already owned a macro?) In any case, welcome!

xD I cheaped out my first time round' and I got the ragnarok, then decided that Viking kicks serioud A** and decided while the macros were still 200$, I would pick one up. & Thank you, can't wait to mess around with the software and customizing my LED Lights :) Just got it in the mail today around noon... Now I can't wait to get out of school Lol!

[Btw, I heard macros are going to be discontinued? Is that true?]

Thanks,
Rob0thd

odingalt

Staff member
[Btw, I heard macros are going to be discontinued? Is that true?]

I hear all sorts of rumors. You are reading posts from several years ago when we did indeed cancel macro controllers for awhile. We are now in the new age where we brought them back :)

Rob0tHD

I hear all sorts of rumors. You are reading posts from several years ago when we did indeed cancel macro controllers for awhile. We are now in the new age where we brought them back

Good, this controller is FAR too amazing to discontinue. I don't understand how you're not blowing the competition away... And why did you guys discontinue them in the past?

odingalt

Staff member
Good, this controller is FAR too amazing to discontinue. I don't understand how you're not blowing the competition away... And why did you guys discontinue them in the past?

We never hit "Critical mass". That is, we never hit the sales volume required to make these modchips affordable. We hit the very lowest end of our sales projections and when our supplier wouldn't budge on pricing for components for the expensive modchip, we stopped selling them. We finally got the supplier to budge on minimum order requirement but it took a loooong standoff to get what we needed to produce another batch of macro controller modchips.

Everyone will tell you the #1 reason we are not blowing away the competition is price, but I have to disagree. When we started, we sold macro controllers at $149. Heck, our Odin's Raven stands up to any controller at its current price and our PS3 Ragnarok at $99 is equal to the same controllers being sold at our competitors sites for twice that price. Fact of the matter is advertising works. The customers who are here in these forums are the kinds of customers who research what they buy. Customers who research are a minority thing. Most customers just buy the first thing they see on Google.

Rob0tHD

We never hit "Critical mass". That is, we never hit the sales volume required to make these modchips affordable. We hit the very lowest end of our sales projections and when our supplier wouldn't budge on pricing for components for the expensive modchip, we stopped selling them. We finally got the supplier to budge on minimum order requirement but it took a loooong standoff to get what we needed to produce another batch of macro controller modchips.

Everyone will tell you the #1 reason we are not blowing away the competition is price, but I have to disagree. When we started, we sold macro controllers at $149. Heck, our Odin's Raven stands up to any controller at its current price and our PS3 Ragnarok at $99 is equal to the same controllers being sold at our competitors sites for twice that price. Fact of the matter is advertising works. The customers who are here in these forums are the kinds of customers who research what they buy. Customers who research are a minority thing. Most customers just buy the first thing they see on Google.

I agree with you, people don't give a rats a** on the amount of money they spend on a crap product, probably because a lot of the people who buy modded controllers are like 10-19 years old so they grab mommy's credit card XD But yea, I think as soon as viking gets front paged with google and a lot of those other websites, I think you guys will get big, fast (You make the competition look stupid, especially since the free software!).

Another question I had for you, is have you ever looked into getting a clan/community to advertise for you? Like live streams, youtube video montages/commentaries? Maybe sponsor said clan/community to do so, because really a sponsorship would probably be a free mod with a controller send in or a discount. Maybe something to think about, for the future as well. A lot of people go to youtube for reviews etc.. and I didn't see a large amount on the viking name. (sad face).

odingalt

Staff member
Google search for "site:youtube.com viking controller review" yields the following Viking controller video reviews:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8swgvJ-Rxc
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ie1zBedekA
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_F8tkZlvxI
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWM-dl4EEIQ
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxyNRgW5lk
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk0x7H0j_g0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU9h_9zv9Jc
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxIol975Gkw
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r3B_9piPSE
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEgGWfSDxcQ
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTCfOIjujWw

Ok I got tired of pasting but you get the picture :). As far as I can tell there are at least 100 video demos of Viking controllers on youtube. :) The problem is simple -- we don't spend enough on SEO and marketing. If you do a google search like this instead "modded controllers" you get the following hits:

www.evilcontrollers.com
www.controllerchaos.com/modded-controllers.html
www.gamermodz.com/
www.intensafirestore.com/
www.geniusmods.com/
www.amazon.com
www.megamodzplanet.com/
www.ebay.com
www.rapidmodz.com/
www.kickasscontrollers.com/

Newbies are going to use Google to do their research when they decide to buy a modded controller, and sadly, Viking basically does not exist on Google for a variety of search phrases. We would start dropping $20-$30k per month on SEO and marketing like our competition, but then we'd have to eliminate the USB, eliminate free software updates, raise prices for our "fully loaded" mods (like the Raven and Ragnarok), etc. and do all sorts of other nasty things to make enough money to pay that much in advertising. We'd also have to fire our current employees (they are paid too much compared to the competition) and then open up a new shop in another state that has a lower minimum wage and looser labor laws. I'm just not willing to run a sweat shop nor am I willing to sell substandard products or advertise so hard it requires me to raise prices on my customers. If you look at what you get when you buy a Viking, we are still the best deal out there. I priced the equivalent to the Viking NON-USB PS3 Ragnarok the other day (ours sells for $99.95), some of our competition were charging over $200 for the same thing. :-x So even if you didn't know anything else and just made your purchase based on most features for least money, we'd still beat some of the other guys. Unfortunately customers are not researching and finding us.

Ill be honest, I think some of your employees are making to much money :p ( atleast the ones I heard about )
I also don't understand why there isn't more gaming magazines featuring the macro controller, it's a major advancement in gaming ... And nobody else out there has anything even close to it..

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member
Ill be honest, I think some of your employees are making to much money :p ( atleast the ones I heard about )
I also don't understand why there isn't more gaming magazines featuring the macro controller, it's a major advancement in gaming ... And nobody else out there has anything even close to it..

It's missing a few critical features or has a few flaws that would prevent mass adoption:

Copy/paste pages, or copy/paste macro sets
Copy/paste functions on timeline editor
"Free for all" allow any combination of buttons to enable/disable mods
"Stack" multiple macros/allow "mode switching" like on traditional modded controller
Lower Price
It's for cheaters :-x

To name a few. All were in the original plans but we never sold enough units to justify continuing the software improvements. As-is this macro controller mod still blows everybody else out of the water.

It's one of those things, if I knew I could sell 10,000 units, I could cut costs in half. I know this doesn't do anything for existing customers, but BOX720/PS4 will be a nice opportunity for Viking to go back to the drawing board and consolidate all our goodness. :)

Well E, I look forward to supporting you in the future, and I hope this next console era proves very profitable to you. Your family and company.

odingalt

Staff member
TY. I can always find something new to sell, just waiting around for an idea to pop into my head :). I have been selling electronic widgets of one kind or another for the past 17 years.

Rob0tHD

Google search for "site:youtube.com viking controller review" yields the following Viking controller video reviews:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8swgvJ-Rxc
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ie1zBedekA
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_F8tkZlvxI
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWM-dl4EEIQ
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxyNRgW5lk
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk0x7H0j_g0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU9h_9zv9Jc
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxIol975Gkw
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r3B_9piPSE
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEgGWfSDxcQ
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTCfOIjujWw

Ok I got tired of pasting but you get the picture . As far as I can tell there are at least 100 video demos of Viking controllers on youtube. The problem is simple -- we don't spend enough on SEO and marketing. If you do a google search like this instead "modded controllers" you get the following hits:

www.evilcontrollers.com
www.controllerchaos.com/modded-controllers.html
www.gamermodz.com/
www.intensafirestore.com/
www.geniusmods.com/
www.amazon.com
www.megamodzplanet.com/
www.ebay.com
www.rapidmodz.com/
www.kickasscontrollers.com/

Newbies are going to use Google to do their research when they decide to buy a modded controller, and sadly, Viking basically does not exist on Google for a variety of search phrases. We would start dropping $20-$30k per month on SEO and marketing like our competition, but then we'd have to eliminate the USB, eliminate free software updates, raise prices for our "fully loaded" mods (like the Raven and Ragnarok), etc. and do all sorts of other nasty things to make enough money to pay that much in advertising. We'd also have to fire our current employees (they are paid too much compared to the competition) and then open up a new shop in another state that has a lower minimum wage and looser labor laws. I'm just not willing to run a sweat shop nor am I willing to sell substandard products or advertise so hard it requires me to raise prices on my customers. If you look at what you get when you buy a Viking, we are still the best deal out there. I priced the equivalent to the Viking NON-USB PS3 Ragnarok the other day (ours sells for $99.95), some of our competition were charging over $200 for the same thing. So even if you didn't know anything else and just made your purchase based on most features for least money, we'd still beat some of the other guys. Unfortunately customers are not researching and finding us.

Yea, I agree with you, now that you have explained it a lot better. Google Charges way too much for advertising.. jeeze.. I just want to see your business grow + develop into what I think it should be. (Popular, and beating the heck out of the competition. But I am glad you don't want to run a sweat shop! :)

TY. I can always find something new to sell, just waiting around for an idea to pop into my head . I have been selling electronic widgets of one kind or another for the past 17 years.

Good, and I hope you never stop, this is something you're good at doing and I personally enjoy your work. :)