Instaling the Ps3 style sticks on the Raven

VeNGaNCe34

Hey if anyone could help me. I just bought a Ravin controller. But i thought that i could save myself some money by instaling my own ps3 sticks. Did i mess up? Or is it possible to do without resodering the mod chip?

Paul

VeNGaNCe34 said:
Hey if anyone could help me. I just bought a Ravin controller. But i thought that i could save myself some money by instaling my own ps3 sticks. Did i mess up? Or is it possible to do without resodering the mod chip?

Did you already do it and break a solder joint? If you haven't done it yet, you need to open your controller by removing the screws (A Torx 8 Security Bit is the best for this I believe,) take your current thumbsticks off the pegs, put the PS3 ones on, and close your controller up by putting the screws back in. PS3 thumbsticks require a bit of difficulty to make them fit. You shouldn't need to do any resoldering.

VeNGaNCe34

Paul said:
VeNGaNCe34 said:

Did you already do it and break a solder joint? If you haven't done it yet, you need to open your controller by removing the screws (A Torx 8 Security Bit is the best for this I believe,) take your current thumbsticks off the pegs, put the PS3 ones on, and close your controller up by putting the screws back in. PS3 thumbsticks require a bit of difficulty to make them fit. You shouldn't need to do any resoldering.

Thanks for the help. no i havent broken any solder joints and I havent actually tried to do it yet. I just ordered the controller today and was doing some research in the forums. That was when started to wonder if i should have just bought the ps3 sticks option instead of instaling them myself. i Also i have experience putting ps3 sticks on controllers so that isnt my problem. I was just wondering if there is going to be wires in the way when i am taking the controller apart to put them on.

Thanks for the help

Ben

Just watch the wires to the Tact switches and the 3.5mm jack if you got that.

When you take it apart, hold the back part of the shell and the circuit board together and only remove the front piece, shouldn't have a problem doing it this way.

VeNGaNCe34

Ben. said:

When you take it apart, hold the back part of the shell and the circuit board together and only remove the front piece, shouldn't have a problem doing it this way.

Thanks again for all the help. I am really glad i bought from Viking and not Evil. So far everything has worked out great. Thanks!

Paul

VeNGaNCe34 said:
Ben. said:

Thanks again for all the help. I am really glad i bought from Viking and not Evil. So far everything has worked out great. Thanks!

No problem. That's why people like Viking despite the prices, we enjoy helping people, and other customers can help people too.

Come to think of it, if we didn't have any forums, I don't think Ben would of ever become Viking's UK partner.

odingalt

Staff member
Yes just be sure to gingerly open the controller, make a little diagram for yourself where all the wires go, literally the biggest pain in the ass of assembling a Raven is the fact that there are wires everywhere! You got 2 wires for each tac switch, 3 wires if you got the 3.5mm jack option, (3 wires if you have an XCM case which we used to sell), plus the 17-20 wires for the mod install (I can't even remember the number). It gets to be pretty busy, and we don't leave enough slack to be able to open the controller fully. You'll feel like you need 4 extra pairs of hands when you do the swap. :)

Plus the damn PS3 sticks don't quite* fit through the opening in the case so you have to give it a little push and get it lined up right to get them through.

VeNGaNCe34

Thanks for the help I am going to atempt to do it. So as long as I am carefull I will be okay right? And if I just lift off the front face I won't encounter to many wires correct? And also one last question, will I be able to get the front face far enought off to put the sticks on? Will it be tight?

VeNGaNCe34

Alright guys all i have to say is sucess! Not to hard to do but a couple of tips.....

1) only take off the front face and the insert that has the sync buttton on it this avoids all wires i found
2) DONT LOOSE ANY PARTS
3) you do have to push some to make the ps3 sticks fit through
4) if it doesnt fit0back together the rumble motors are out of place
5) tape the abyx, start, select, and xbox logo buttons on the outside so they dont fall out when you lower the front face back on very helpful!

Message me for any other questions

Paul

VeNGaNCe34 said:
Alright guys all i have to say is sucess! Not to hard to do but a couple of tips.....

1) only take off the front face and the insert that has the sync buttton on it this avoids all wires i found
2) DONT LOOSE ANY PARTS
3) you do have to push some to make the ps3 sticks fit through
4) if it doesnt fit0back together the rumble motors are out of place
5) tape the abyx, start, select, and xbox logo buttons on the outside so they dont fall out when you lower the front face back on very helpful!

Message me for any other questions

Glad that you managed to do this and we could help you! :)