Intensafire

gambini98

I own an intensafire. it was easy to install but lacks in features. If a patch comes out and renders the intensafire useless, then your stuck. Plus you have to use the sync button to cycle through the settings. A big let down is there is no quick on and off feature. IMO its cheap quality...

bobdanoob

I also have an intensafire. Its a good mod for the price. Super easy to install. What gambini98 says about it being useless when a patch comes out isn't entirely true. Its 5th mode is user programmable so you could set it at a speed to get past the patch. But if the patch affected the akimbo mode then your out of luck, because the 5th mode is only for the right trigger. The mod itself is nice build quality. Its got a flexible board with LEDs built in. Compared to one of the "no-name" mods you find off ebay and such, its awesome. If you compare it to a Viking360 mod it looks like crap.

i heard mixed reviews of it so i was jsut wanting to know. i was just thinking about a cheap mod but thanks for the responses

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

SOCCERdude said:
i heard mixed reviews of it so i was jsut wanting to know. i was just thinking about a cheap mod but thanks for the responses
I have one too and it's absolute s***... Your better off buying the Viking diy kit

gambini98

bobdanoob said:
I also have an intensafire. Its a good mod for the price. Super easy to install. What gambini98 says about it being useless when a patch comes out isn't entirely true. Its 5th mode is user programmable so you could set it at a speed to get past the patch. But if the patch affected the akimbo mode then your out of luck, because the 5th mode is only for the right trigger. The mod itself is nice build quality. Its got a flexible board with LEDs built in. Compared to one of the "no-name" mods you find off ebay and such, its awesome. If you compare it to a Viking360 mod it looks like crap.

Your right. I forgot about the programmable mode... Try playing left 4 dead with the intensafire. It pretty much only works on the pistol. Try healing yourself in the heat of battle. You basically have to cycle through the settings and turn the intensafire off, heal yourself, then cycle back to the L4D setting. Totally ridiculous. :lol:

odingalt

Staff member
I think the Intensafire serves the casual gamer portion of the rapidfire market well. A lot of folks with basic skills will be able to install the Intensafire on their own, while on the other hand, the Viking DIY install is virtually impossible to install without some serious modding experience. Some shops sell Intensafire for around $25 which ain't too bad. I would like to have seen it priced closer to $20, which it would be at - if Intensafire only sold direct to customers - rather than re-selling through mod shops (mod shops have to get a cut, Intensafire gets a cut.. any time you have middlemen, the end customer pays more).

The user-programmable feature of the Intensafire would help users with some XBOX live patches, but not all patches. There may come a time when 'humanized' rapidfire will be required to bypass filters, and without USB or serial upgrade capability, the Intensafire doesn't have that. But then again, there haven't been any patches targeting rapidfire controllers since September 2009. One could argue that there hasn't been a real need for USB upgrade in the last 6 months, in terms of XBOX live patches.

It's too bad they forgot to add a 'quick on/off' feature!

All in all, Intensafire I think packs great value for the price - before Intensafire, mod shops were happy to sell you a similar kit for $20 that wasn't nearly as easy to install. I think it's unfair to compare Intensafire and Viking together, as you're really talking about two entirely different classes of product. I.e. you can't really compare SUV's to mid-size sedans, but both serve their owners' purpose well.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

odingalt said:
I think the Intensafire serves the casual gamer portion of the rapidfire market well. A lot of folks with basic skills will be able to install the Intensafire on their own, while on the other hand, the Viking DIY install is virtually impossible to install without some serious modding experience. Some shops sell Intensafire for around $25 which ain't too bad. I would like to have seen it priced closer to $20, which it would be at - if Intensafire only sold direct to customers - rather than re-selling through mod shops (mod shops have to get a cut, Intensafire gets a cut.. any time you have middlemen, the end customer pays more).

The user-programmable feature of the Intensafire would help users with some XBOX live patches, but not all patches. There may come a time when 'humanized' rapidfire will be required to bypass filters, and without USB or serial upgrade capability, the Intensafire doesn't have that. But then again, there haven't been any patches targeting rapidfire controllers since September 2009. One could argue that there hasn't been a real need for USB upgrade in the last 6 months, in terms of XBOX live patches.

It's too bad they forgot to add a 'quick on/off' feature!

All in all, Intensafire I think packs great value for the price - before Intensafire, mod shops were happy to sell you a similar kit for $20 that wasn't nearly as easy to install. I think it's unfair to compare Intensafire and Viking together, as you're really talking about two entirely different classes of product. I.e. you can't really compare SUV's to mid-size sedans, but both serve their owners' purpose well.
Agreed

modded matt

ok guys time for the real facts of instafire. I may get in trouble for this, but oh well...

instafire was designed by acidmods members and sold to BGR. the flex pcb is of a top quality. the mod was designed so that anyone with limited skills can install without touching the existing leds. the hardest point is the sinc button...but...

the sinc button doesnt have to be used. in the directions we state that a button can be added to the system. there is a terminal on the instafire pcb lebled "optional button" this button will activate the quick on/off feature you are speaking of, it will also be held to change modes.

another hidden fact that with some examination of the pcb anyone should have noticed is the debug terminal. this terminal is used reflash the instafire chip itself. so, should a patch be released, there is always a way to update the system. cough cough there may be an update in the works cough cough, I did not say that. LOL

now in closing, dont get me wrong, I love my viking chip. and once the gui is completed, I will probably never use another chip. however, not everyone can purchase a $180 dollar controller. on top of that I would assume 75% of the viking360DIY customers fail on the install. (I installed my own when they were sold here way back when) which I would assume is why they are not sold here anymore. you have to look at it like this, the viking is a cadalac, and instafire is a buik they will both get the job done, but viking will do it in style, and you get what you pay for.

but to say the instafire is crap is not fair.

Itz CHARLEY

Yeah intensafire isn't crap. It is actually is a well made chip. the part that is crap though, is how easy this thing is to install. I watched a you tube video and it looked like a very easy 1,2 process. the mod is ok and i don't blame people for using these because they don't have the tools to make a real mod. If someone can't do this install, I pity the fool, and I'm guessing 'limited skills' is a euphemism for 'completely retarded'.
mr-t1.jpg

odingalt

Staff member
modded matt said:
another hidden fact that with some examination of the pcb anyone should have noticed is the debug terminal. this terminal is used reflash the instafire chip itself. so, should a patch be released, there is always a way to update the system. cough cough there may be an update in the works cough cough, I did not say that. LOL

Cough cough.. the programmer required to use the debug port costs $40.. cough cough... :D actually Intensafire could probably mass produce a cheaper programmer than that, I am looking at the 'Pickit' series of factory programmers (retail pricing) which is traditionally what is used.

now in closing, dont get me wrong, I love my viking chip. and once the gui is completed, I will probably never use another chip. however, not everyone can purchase a $180 dollar controller. on top of that I would assume 75% of the viking360DIY customers fail on the install. (I installed my own when they were sold here way back when) which I would assume is why they are not sold here anymore. you have to look at it like this, the viking is a cadalac, and instafire is a buik they will both get the job done, but viking will do it in style, and you get what you pay for.

but to say the instafire is crap is not fair.

Agreed.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
It's just a collection of open source codes. It's all free anyways. But those are ussually crapy. I'd rather pay a bit, and get a quality mod.

Hazer

It's just a collection of open source codes. It's all free anyways. But those are ussually crapy. I'd rather pay a bit, and get a quality mod.

**cough**

90% of all 'quality mods' came from open source to begin with.

**cough**

Fredrow

Hazer said:

**cough**

90% of all 'quality mods' came from open source to begin with.

**cough**

I 2nd that statement for sure.......

modded matt

IrishStyle said:
modded matt said:
maybe this will get you buy until our final release is ready

http://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,35750.new.html#new

Advertise on your OWN forum!

LOL do you really think I need to advertise acidmods? What makes you think I would do it here? compare the daily hits between the two sites junior. (I see you did not remove the link....hahaha) I am mearly providing modders with something they have requested.

Junior (irishsmartypants), we send alot of buisness this way. we have posted great reviews about this product, and I have all the origional install tuts archived (the origional crappy one, gameroms, and the newer tuts boot loaders and many hex files) so if this site folds up the members can still get some support. as we do with some of your other competitors, acidmods is a support site. we dont have a product to sell. anything that is developed at AM is either released to the public or sold to big name companies like stated above.

As for open source, I am 99% sure you wont find the HEX files I provided in that link anywhere. the tuts are all over the net, and the people who do have these files are selling the chips. Also this whole industry was started from open source.