LED brightness

theblur1

okay so today i turned my controller on and the LEDs were so dim i couldnt see them at all but it said my rechargable pack was almost full. i had the play and charge plugged in over night does anyone think this could be the problem? its not a big deal cause i play with it in anyways and it makes them super bright. ill try AAs when i get some

Ben

It might be your Battery Pack, they seem to degenerate over time, mine can barely hold its charge for more than 20 minutes nowadays.

Try some AA's and see what it's like and then we can conclude whether it's the Battery Pack or maybe the controller itself.

obo

I have a theory that you may have the same problem that my old ipod touch's battery had. When you leave things plugged into a usb port overnight. There is no power management that stops the charging when your battery is full. Therefor its basically overcharging your bttery and damaging it overtime. So your battery eventually fails slowly over time. I have a Charger dock that i rotate bAtteries out of. It knows when the charge is full and stops charging it. So it prevents that problem. I would stronhly suggest not just leaving your play and charge in at all times if thats what you do

IrishStyle

They will be just as bright with the PNC as the AA's....Most of these aftermarket packs are 2.4v. Not enough juice to run the chip and the leds.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

IrishStyle said:
They will be just as bright with the PNC as the AA's....Most of these aftermarket packs are 2.4v. Not enough juice to run the chip and the leds.
exactly you will get higher brightness out of AA's than a recharge pack but you will get better performance out of the PnC but i personally do not recommend having the PnC constantly plugged in

theblur1

^ the only problem with that is that i have a sleeper so id need to unplug the play n' charge everytime i wanted to switch modes / on/off.

IrishStyle

theblur1 said:
^ the only problem with that is that i have a sleeper so id need to unplug the play n' charge everytime i wanted to switch modes / on/off.

Ahhh that sucks.....Unless you want to use AA's.....Maybe its time to run to radio shack, fire up the soldering iron, and installing it as a duo. I did that with one of mine, and I can say duo is wayyyyy better than the sleeper.

theblur1

well i already have the tools for it and 2 momentary push buttons from previous modding experiences but im not sure if i want to run the risk of damaging the controller. i might give it a shot though.

*EDIT* Also if anyone could send a link to the instructions how to switch a sleeper to a duo. I cant seem to find them.

theblur1

Thanks alot eh.
and im pretty confident with a soldering iron. aha.

+ i figure i just over-charged the battery pack. not a big dela though

odingalt

Staff member
Which LED colors do you have on there? We had some troubles with pink/purple LED's and discontinued them. I believe we had some White LED's that were dim, it seems the factory shipped us two completely different batches of White LED's but didn't mark them differently. I've noticed now that we are on batch 'two' the whites are holding up a lot better now. In any case please report in I like to keep track of this kind of stuff so I can make sure to add/remove/replace options as needed if anything is causing problems.

theblur1

They are the Blue LED's. It's only with the rechargable pack though that they dim quicker most likely because of overcharging. Sorry i still haven't bought any AA's to test.