MW2 ? random knife swing while zooming or zoomed in with FAL

SGT BL00DSKULL

I'm having this annoying thing happen to me constantly. I flashed my Thors Hammer controller sucessfully and everything seemed fine until I started playing death match on MW2 with high fire rate on the FAL. It constantly does a knife swing when I'm trying to shoot. When I say frequently I mean every single or every other clip. I know I'm not that heavy on the stick because I changed back and forth with a regular controller.
Did they come out with some kind of patch that detects the rapid fire and screws it up? The reason I'm asking is because with fast reload on- using the grenade launcher it also will sometimes change to my secondary weapon. Any advice/ input would be most welcome.

SGT BL00DSKULL

Private message

Fredrow

Just to answer your knife problem; sounds to me like your just heavy on them sticks son.....lol.....

I do the same thing, so does a couple of my friends. One way to trouble shoot this and find out for sure, is to go into a private match and upload all the same settings and then just fire the gun away. While doing this make sure you are not touching the thumbstick at all. Can you do this and then return with your findings??

PS3andCOD

Contributor
He said it doesn't happen on an unmodded controller... But maybe the viking controller just happens to have more sensitive sticks...

SGT BL00DSKULL

Fredrow said:
Just to answer your knife problem; sounds to me like your just heavy on them sticks son.....lol.....

I do the same thing, so does a couple of my friends. One way to trouble shoot this and find out for sure, is to go into a private match and upload all the same settings and then just fire the gun away. While doing this make sure you are not touching the thumbstick at all. Can you do this and then return with your findings??

Thanks for answering. I tried the private match right after I flashed the controller and several times since- it doesn't do it. I got so pissed last night that I put the Viking down and went back to my stock controller and didn't do it once.

SGT BL00DSKULL

SGT BL00DSKULL

Stay with me here Fredrow, the stock controller doesn't do the random and frequent knife swing (right toggle click). The Viking does it in deathmatch/ ground war etc.... not in a private match

Fredrow

Well now do this, go into a normal Deathmatch and just fire the gun with rapid-fire on and while your doing this DO NOT TOUCH THE THUMBSTICKS..... Does it still knife??

G

I have experienced the exact same thing Sgt. Just holding the trigger alone it will NEVER randomly knife, but in a free for all or deathmatch it comes back. Now I do think Fredrow in PARTIALLY correct in it being "heavy on the thumbstick" in the heat of batlle. But notice I said only partially because I believe that with the rapid fire on the FAL it takes much less "heaviness on the thumbstick" than normal to cause that random knife. When I turn off the rapid fire and use the M4 it NEVER happens. When I turn on rapid fire with the FAL it DOES happen. I can only come up with three possible explanations:

1) It takes less pressure to accidently random knife with the rapid fire FAL - maybe vibration from controller on a gun that isn't supposed to rapid fire could have something to do with this, haven't tested it with vibration off yet. Maybe you could try that out.

2)Maybe it's a Viking driver issue that hasn't been reported or confirmed by Viking 360 yet.

3)Least likely, but possible, could be a psychological thing that gets in your head. Like when a major league ballplayer like Steve Sax or Chuck Knoublack can't throw to first anymore. Sometimes I think that when I know it's not a regular gun being used it's almost like my reflexes think I'm in knifing mode and I instinctively hit knife without even meaning to. Sounds crazy I know but let me know what you think.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
I like number three. I seriously doubt it is number 2, but number three sounds likely, and number 1 sounds possible...

Fredrow

I feel the same. No way is it number 2, because in my case I have noticed the whole pressing the right thumbstick way before Viking360 was even created. I did the same thing too with some of those older RF Mods..... Number 3 is the best answer that I like........

I have tried everything to fix the thumbstick problem, first thing I did was go into the game options screen and switch your controller button layout to tactical. This helped out so much, even made doing drop-shots hella easy......

Then I did a whole controller MOD and removed the tact switches from under the thumbsticks and then installed to push buttons on the bottom belly of the controller shell.....

tigrau69

i would surely suggest to switch button layout to tactical. then you know for sure if there's a hardware/software problem.

i also would suggest in general to switch to tactical unless you're a heavy knifer and tent to knife alot. if not then tactical layout is better because it's always better to drop then to knife by accident.

but yeah, i'm new here and haven't even gotton my viking so maybe i can't really say anything about it yet but just trying to help.

Ben

tigrau69 said:
i would surely suggest to switch button layout to tactical. then you know for sure if there's a hardware/software problem.

i also would suggest in general to switch to tactical unless you're a heavy knifer and tent to knife alot. if not then tactical layout is better because it's always better to drop then to knife by accident.

but yeah, i'm new here and haven't even gotton my viking so maybe i can't really say anything about it yet but just trying to help.

That's a good idea, try switching to the tact layout and see how it works out ;)

tigrau69

also i can say that the knifing/dropping by accident happens to me too. usely when you're in a intense situation you tent to press harder on the right stick. for example when i'm (trying) to quickscope.
sometimes that's a good thing because i'm usually behind some cover and quickscope and drop. what happens is that if you missed the shot your opponent sometimes get's confused on where he got shot from and if not he cant shoot you cause you're behind cover.

NYjetsNY1

try setting the FAL speed setting to 27.40 instead of default FAL/UMP45 speed.
I've NEVER had random knifing happen to me.

modded matt

I have seen this before. it is hard to explaine in a way you would understand, without a scope you wont know what I am talking about anyway. when the rf signal is applied to the trigger to force the pot there is a trickel effect that can and will affect other inputs of the controller.

witout going into long technical details, it is something we must learn to deal with as owners of any RF controller not viking. Get used to it.

odingalt

Staff member
Matt,

Actually Viking doesn't apply any voltages higher than the reference voltage to the pot. The pot as you know is fed with a reference voltage of about 1.6 Volts, meaning the ADC input of the XBOX360 gamepad CPU is reading anywhere from .2 volts up to 1.3 volts (depending on where that 10k pot is at).

The Viking does this when you call for rapidfire:

(don't care) / delay / pull to ground / delay / (don't care)

It never outputs a voltage to the trigger. It relies on the 'natural' voltage of the voltage divider for the 'high half' of the pulse. Basically, the Viking rapidfire is doing nothing more than 'grounding' the center leg of that pot every other cycle.

I don't have much time right now to draw up something in MSPaint and I apologize - I know you'll understand it Matt I'm just not sure if everyone else will understand.

Now of course what I just said only applies to CG1 and CG2 circuit boards. The Matrix circuit board has the pot's 'reversed'. On the Matrix boards, I do go ahead and output full VDD to the pot (with no resistor) and haven't had a single burned up trigger input in almost 3,000 controllers sold, as opposed to popular belief by some of the hardcore modders at AM that putting a voltage greater than AVDD/VREF+ into the XBOX360 gamepad CPU would cause damage to the ADC.

mavic

thats good info odin...

to address the OP I have several controllers some rapidfire some stock. and I have noticed that some controllers have more sensitive thumb stick tac switches than others.
and you would be surprised on how much variance there is... in fact I have one controller that is extreamly hard to press down on... I love and hate it.... its great for not air knifing but hurts the right thumb for sprinting.... and another I have seems waaaayyyyy to easy to depress and causes air knifes all the time... Im thinking when I build my next DUO Imma use the board that has the hard sticks and swap the right stick tac switch out with the soft one if its possible... I havent opened them up to see whats going on in there lol.

if it is the case that its just a light tac switch try what others have mentioned... and use tactical mode.