My First Mac

HippieMagic

I did it... after years of saying I never would and after honestly believing I could never actually get used to the OS X platform... I finally took the plunge so I could allow myself to get into Mac and iPhone development as well as Java and pretty much anything else I could imagine.

I purchased this as mostly a work/school machine but so far I am actually liking it. I have RAM coming soon and will be installing Windows 7 on it later tonight. I know my wallet hates me but I think it was worth it...

WetterThanWater

I remember our conversation about this.

Add in the extra 4gb of RAM and you'll be fine, the rest of the parts in it are decent for editing, coding, casual gaming, etc.

HippieMagic

The RAM is on it's way to me now. I grabbed some Corsair RAM off Amazon for $37 which I think is a steal. I may add 16gb in the future if I ever need it for editing but as it stands I expect 8gb to be more than enough. I was going to purchase a SSD but frankly I am not too happy with the price per GB yet and I am hoping that drops a little in the near future or I will just have to save up more money and get a big drive. I am likely playing it safe and snagging an Intel SSD. I am perfectly fine with a HDD right now.

I have to say the battery life and performance is pretty good. I love the keyboard and I am growing to like the trackpad. I had to grab the Java SDK from apple because someone felt it was a good idea to not include it in Lion but that is a minor annoyance and I am downloading XCode 4 as I type this. I should have all of my stuff set up and ready to go by tomorrow... who knows... I may start working on a Viking Macro software for Mac if I can get it figured out haha. There still isn't mac software for it is there?