New Viking Update

a Spec Of fluff

Hi i just downloaded (19th Nov 2010 11:18 GMT) the new software update 8.4.1 (sumthin like tht). On the same page it say's "just below is a new firmware that increases battery life". It isnt thier lol and i need it (since i have had this controller, i ordered 50 batteries of Ebay. I now have 6 left lol). Just use a battery pack you say well LEDs dont seem to work and i think thier cool adn neither does it when i hook it up to the PC.

Simply version of what i just said up here^ is can you upload the new firmware

Bedfordx

Yeah i noticed the same with the download. Also the controllers very useful, but i agree it just rapes battery life... I started pulling the battery pack out of the controller when the controller is off because i'm certain even when the controller is turned off it still depletes battery life :/

a Spec Of fluff

Yeah Bedford it does chew batteries when off. I cant rememeber how much he said tho! Orh well just hope its uploaded soon cos i iam down 2 2 bars left on these batteries(then i will only have 4 left "Hugh Sigh")

KIL0 iRecon

For the batteries draining, I use multiple battery packs. I have one charging at all times while I use another. On average my battery pack lasts me about 12 hours of play time. That's with all of the extra christmas lights turned off on all of my macro's.

a42ozslushie

This current update just rapes my batteries left and right. I have the nicest disposable batteries you can buy, energizer ultimate lithium batteries. In my normal controllers they last me months on end for only TWO batteries! I now usually go through 2 batteris every 2 or 3 days! One day I left my batteries in and when I turn it on later my controller would not start up; at first I thought it was broken lol. Replaced the batteries and bam good to go for another couple days. I hope this issue is continually fixed in each update that comes out because I payed for a controller, not batteries...

odingalt

Staff member
I have the power management firmware and was going to release it last night, but there is a bug in the software - if you have the Viking Software open and are transferring a macro (upload or download) and at the same exact time open the firmware updater and open a firmware.bin file, and then wait for the macro to finish uploading, and then run the firmware update, it bricks your controller.

It's a very contrived situation and you'd have to be very very (un)lucky to get the steps down just right to brick your controller, but I don't feel comfortable releasing until I can find a way to guarantee people won't somehow manage to do this.

Otherwise I could just put up a huge disclaimer BE SURE TO CLOSE THE VIKING MACRO SOFTWARE BEFORE RUNNING FIRMWARE UPDATES! But invariably, sooner or later, somebody will some how manage to find this bug and brick their controller lol

If you can follow good directions I am willing to PM/e-mail anybody the power management firmware update directly, I just don't want to post it on the main website yet.

apcoop7

To the guy who ordered 50 batteries from ebay, I think it might be a good idea if you invest in rechargeable batteries lol.

41bhqs1RV8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000U ... 4EXYZR77JZ

JLIT

I have 4 rechargeable batteries as pictured above and just rotate them when not using the Play N Charge functionality.