noob with question(s)

Rob0tHD

So, I am a noob when it comes to opening up a circuit board and knowing what the heck I'm doing, okay, maybe I have no clue. As a spare project, I was thinking about buying all the materials to mod my own controller, maybe a thors hammer or a tyr's hand, something without tac switches because those would probably be a little harder to do. Do you think it would be possible for me to do it myself? Is there a video or instruction sheet included when I buy a chip from viking on how to mod it myself? I've solderd something once or twice, I'm semi decent, is that good enough?

Opinions and answers would be really appreciated. If you guys think it's possible for a noob like myself I was thinking about doing it sometime in the summer as like a little project, I'm really interested in computers and the way these types of things work.

thanks for reading!

~Rob0thd

modded matt

the legacy chip has alot of Vias/Traces to solder to which means you have to scrape the green mask off the controller to get o the solder point and you must do so without damaging it. The ragnarock is the same way.

The easyest install is on the PS3 ragnarok.

This is not recommended for beginners, if your going to do a legacy, do the one with tact switches and usb. after soldering to the traces, adding the tact switch is a breeze.

good luck. I/We are not responsible for your actions.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

ModdingBros Representative
If you were going to do a legacy controller I'd personally do the odins raven. The tac buttons are a lot easier than the stealth mods. One of the hardest soldering points "at least for me" is to solder the wire to the middle sync pin. If u get too much solder on your wire u can accidentally solder the pins on the sync button together then you will have real problems. Honestly I think the legacy chips are a lot harder of an install than the ragnarok chips. Like matt said scrapping the green mask off and even cutting trace runs to the PNC connections is a pain.

U can find the schematics for the chip u want to install in these forums or even where u order the chips from the viking website there are links to show where everything goes. I will just say speed kills. Take your time especially if this is your first chip install. I would map all your moves out before doing anything. Make sure first that where u put the chip that the controller will close right. This goes for the tac buttons as well. Make sure that were u drill the holes in your shell that the tac will rest in the shell without any restrictions! Next find out from your chips resting spot how long of wire u will need to run to the connections u are going to be soldering to, leaving room for a little slack and labeling the wires where they go on the chip. Next prep all the connections you are going to be soldering to. Scrap all the green mask off where its needed and use flux on them when u solder them. Now that u have all your wires cut and labeled u can solder the wires to the chip. After this u can tape down your chip in the resting spot u marked out that will close up with no problems. Now just one wire at a time solder them to there destination "keeping in mind pinch points" and secure the wires down to the controller board with a dab of hot glue.

If u take your time go slow and make sure all your equipment is in good working order u should be successful. Who care if it even takes u 3 weeks to do go slow and dont rush yourself. If u get tired or stressed just stop and pick it up later. Its almost like building model cars. If u take your time put in the quality work and plan all your steps 2 or 3 times before u do anything u will be successful. After a while u will get good at it and it will become much easier and quicker. Just remember if u get sloppy or use junk equipment u can brick your controller and be out 50$. Thats why im telling u to do it slow and only work on it for about 2 hours or take a break for about another two hours before u go back to work on it. A clear head and rested body will secure quality work! keep posted if u end up buying a chip. Id like to see how u do!

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member
The tac switches themself are the easy part, the wires from the modchip to the Microsoft circuit board, and routing those wires, are the hard part.

Rob0tHD

Thank you all for your input, I am going to difinatly consider doing this now. I just need to go do a little research, like what type of controller, where to get a sodlering kit and what kind to get if there's more than one kind :p Also, what type of wiring? Like I said, I'm a noob in need when it comes to this, lastly, if I did end up messing up my controller, would I be able to remove the modchip and try again? :p I know I am going to take all of your advice, read instructions and go slow but I know anything can happen. Especially on the first run into anything.

thanks for the replies,
Rob0thd

Rob0tHD

Sorry for double post, but how do you know what type of board you have in the controller? Can you tell before you take it apart or do you need to buy it + gut it before you can know for sure?

IOsystems

You can confirm what kind of controller you have by yust putting out battery pack and look inside.
I'm too lazy for taking pictures right now, found these here http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/thr...60-wireless-controller-board-you-have.407331/

matrixboard.png

cgboard.png

cg2board.png

Btw when installing optional USB-Jack, it's a good idea to remove the "Rumble-Motor-Connector" on the right side and solder the cables directly to the board, then you have much more space in this area.

IOsystems

Yes that's true. I am experienced in soldering, but a noob in drilling holes :D So it happened the 1st one I build didn't fit exactly, solution was to modify the rumble socket. Just a quick tip if someone has the same Problem and it's done in few seconds...

odingalt

Staff member
I tell you what, our techs can do the wires and modchip part of the install pretty quick. The drilling and gluing of the tac switch and USB jack takes forever! Longer on a bad day! :) An unlucky job with the drill can add a frustrating hour to the install tinkering with it trying to make it fit, luckily we have the luxury of just throwing away the shell and cutting our losses.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

ModdingBros Representative
yea the usb hole is a little tricky u want to get it real close to the left or right "depending what side u want it on" plastic screw holder and u almost want it parrell across from the plastic screw holder but bairly a quater inch down from parell across. Also u dont want to drill it strate down. U want to put about a 10 maybe 15 degree angle when drilling the whole. Its almost too hard to explain in words maybe a video tutorial could better sum it up. Ive already installed over 13 viking chips and i got it down to where i dont even need to mark nothing i can just look at the back and know exactally where to drill to get it perfect!

modded matt

I tell you what, our techs can do the wires and modchip part of the install pretty quick. The drilling and gluing of the tac switch and USB jack takes forever! Longer on a bad day! An unlucky job with the drill can add a frustrating hour to the install tinkering with it trying to make it fit, luckily we have the luxury of just throwing away the shell and cutting our losses.
not everyone is so lucky