Ok, what to do?

Snuffy

I am new to all this controller modding stuff, although I am a ham radio operator and am somewhat familiar with working on electronic circuits. I have modded ham radios to be able to have extended transmit functions, and have built several electronic kits. The wireless Xbox controller I have is, I think, a Matrix, from what I have seen on the net. It has TP3 on the board after you remove the battery pack, and on the "front" side, where the thumb sticks are located, I have a cmt-gjaxn5 crystal in the middle of the board. From what I have read on the net, all I have to do to get rapid fire is to install a momentary PB, (why not a toggle switch??) on the middle connection on the right side, mine says PYKC C2X at that joint, I believe those three connections are for the right trigger, and the other at the right hand side of where the rumble pack is plugged in, it looks like where the red wire of the rumble pack would plug in. I removed both of my rumble packs a long time ago.

If I do this would I have to hold in the momentary pb while firing to get rapid fire? And if so could I not just put in a micro toggle switch to leave it on all the time?

I am going to try this tomorrow, if anyone has any advice I sure would appreciate it!!

I have 3 or 4 wireless controllers and a wired one laying around, so I don't really care if I brick a controller.

Would I be better off to not do the pb mod and order a legacy chip or even wait until the other chip is available for purchase??

Thanks,
Snuffy

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member
Can you post a pic of the front of the circuit board I can tell you if it's matrix1 or matrix2

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

ModdingBros Representative
Here is a real easy way I use to distinguish if its a matrix 1 or 2. When u take off the battery pack if u look down directly under where the back screw is u can see the actual board and in line down with that back screw in the battery pack there will be 2 solder dots right next to each other and to the left of the 2 solder points it will say TP26. I Know both the old and new matrix boards both say this but the old matrix 1 boards the 2 solder points will be copper in color as the new matrix 2 boards the solder points will be silver in color. At least that's how i was always able to always distinguish the two apart but a picture like odin said would clear any missconceptions otherwise!

Last edited:

modded matt

Regardless of above....

The old PB mod is wayyy out of date, lol your probably watching one of my early youtube videos. This old mod was designed for old games. All newer games, microsoft has coded patches to block this type of rapid fire. You will need to buy a mod chip if you plan to use this controller on anything newer than call of duty 4.

I can get alot more technical on this if you like, but dont feel its nececary. The old push button mod uses PWN from the led to pulse the rapid fire. The controllers PWN signal is such a consistant one it is easily detected. you need a rapid fire signal firing in a tooth wave or more random/alternating generated pulse timings.

Good luck.

Snuffy

Ok Matt, thanks. Since I have the pics ready anyway, here they are. I would like to know the type of controller it is. The leftover solder paste is not mine, it is as received when purchased with my console.

front2_s.jpgcontroller back_s.jpg

Last edited:

Snuffy

Thank you brian, is it moddable with the current chip kit that is available? I read that the ragnarok chip may be available in a kit in the future. Would this controller be compatible with that?

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

No unfortunately not. I.D.K if they has the new cg2 chips available for the ragnarok and they sold out of the matrix 2 ragnarok chips. Almost any new controller out now are all cg2 and thats pretty much the basic board for all the chips viking has. If you have a cg2 board in the bottom left side where u can see the board through the shell there will be a horizontal small rectangular circuit and by it it will say c15 and those are cg2 chips. It has to be horizontal the old cg1 say the same thing but that circuit insn't horizontal. Basically almost any new controller u buy will more than likely be a cg2.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

These are real good opensourse codes that matt listed i have used them in many controllers and to be perfectly honest "Hazers rapid fire RF" is my favorite opensourse hex file. His page has detailed instructions on how to build your own pic programmer or if your lazy u can buy like a pickit2 pic programmer but there run u like I.D.K guessing 35$. There are also detailed diagrams and photos of different circuit boards and how to install them for those models. Just make sure if u use hazers RF that u use the matrix hex file when u program it to your 12f683 chip. There are two hex files 1 for matrix controller like u have and the other for the cg controllers! The cool thing about this code to is its easy to install and does not require any diodes or resistors like some of the other opensourse RFs like topfire for ex. It has cod5 patch buster single trigger and dual trigger RF It can hold 4 classes total and has 160 different programmable speed settings. This opensourse code works on every game i have thrown at it even BO2! If your looking for a hobby or to challenge yourself you can make these RFs. All the information is out there, putting all the pieces together is the hard part! If u buy the 12f683 chips on ebay they run u about $1.20 a piece. This is actually funny in its own way, the first modded controller i bought "i wont name the company selling it" they were selling these opensourse chips and claiming it as there own and i burned 50$ for the install and leds of this chip! It sucks cause people like this ruined it for everyone else. These codes where put out so people could make their own RF controllers in order to push other company s to raise the bar in the mod scene and was not to be used for personal gains and im sure there would have been way more awesome opensource codes to come out if people could just prove that they wouldn't abuse these gifts for personal gain but too many "ill call them" hacks were starting web pages trying to sell these modded controllers as their own creations. Anyway im sure u dident need a back drop story with all this but These are real good RF chips i promise!

Last edited:

modded matt

well said Brian, Just note that these opensource mods will only give you rapid fire and will not have all the special features which are propritary to the viking mods.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

True that the Robbo 3 does have a YY jitter with adjustable speeds but the YY dosent work in BO2! Its good for the original blackops and u can also dial the speeds to Ex. 21.8, 21.9, 30. It only works with i believe cg2 boards and is a stealth 3 mode; mode 1 RF on RT adjust speed desired, Mode 2 dual trigger RF adjust desired speed and mode 3 YY jitter adjust desired speed. Its an adaptation of Hazers Bmu2 file and the draw backs are it slow switching modes and dialing different speeds on the fly. But yes there are a lot of good opensourse codes listed and i've tried them all but still think hazers RF is the best.

odingalt

Staff member
Gamermods (gamer not gaming, there are two companies with a close name) had a good matrix1 modchip back in the day. I never tried it out but basically you are looking for something with quad bilateral switches which is how they did it in the old days.

We sold out of our matrix2 modchips and the software would have to be modified to work on matrix1 anyway. Your best bet is open source or finding an old modchip like the gamermodz.

Unfortunately their website is way different since the last time I visited a couple of years ago and I don't see that particular modchip listed any more.

Snuffy

I don't know if I want to delve into the programming a chip part. A search on ebay has a "kit" with the 12f683 chip for 9 bucks that says it works will all board types. That may be my cheapest option.

Anyway, I received my Ragnorak yesterday and am learning it, so my mod desire has waned somewhat for the time being.