Payment method

LaxWarrior

Are there any other payment methods that ic an do. Becasue i dont want to use my criedit card on a no secure site(meaning the green secure bar lock thing). It is a personal issue thats it so is there like a way to send the owner money and tell him what i want and get the right money (plus extra is needed :D ) and he sends me the new product when it is shipped? Like western union or paypal money thing or ebay?

thanks a bunch

Lax

Ben

Viing360.com Checkout process run's on a Https server meaning that it is secure.

odingalt

Staff member
We dropped PayPal as a payment option. We now only take Visa, MasterCard and AmEx (And I think maybe discover? Not sure lol). Here is a list of reasons why PayPal sucks:

*WebSite Payments Pro "Rolling Reserve"

PayPal takes 30% of all of our cart transactions and holds the money for 90 DAYS in a "rolling reserve". In other words, if somebody buys a $200 controller, they immediately debit our PayPal account for $60. The money is unavailable for 90 days. This might be acceptable for a multi-million dollar retail site, but not for our small LLC. This 30% adds up quickly. It's rather frustrating to have thousands of dollars of your hard earned money constantly tied up in PayPal's "rolling reserve" which, as we all know, they use to gamble on the stock market and to gain interest from our money while they are holding it.

*PayPal has a mandatory 3-day delay before you can talk to telephone support

Is your PayPal cart broken, and is it the fault of a bug in PayPal's processing server? Good luck getting ahold of PayPal support. The first call goes to India. After 24-48 hours, you will receive a call from the U.K. office. Within another 24-36 hours, you will receive a call from the U.S. office. The U.S. office is the only office that has staff that can actually help with any problems with PayPal's back-end server. This 48-72 hour delay happened to us at least a dozen times, especially when trying to followup on complaints from customers about PayPal's processing gateway. If we only had PayPal as a payment option, our shopping cart would only be available about 90% of the time due to PayPal outages.

*PayPal is great for customers who want to committ fraud

We're never sure if we're going to win a dispute by customers who claim they never received a package, when that customer paid by PayPAl. Even if we ship to the verified address, require signature confirmation, and produce the signature confirmation to PayPal, sometimes they rule in the customer's favor. We've found that we have a much lower fraud attempt rate on non-PayPal transactions. And those customers that do try to rip us off, find it nearly impossible when they paid us via Visa/MC/Amex/Discover. These companies require that the customer file and sign a legal affidavit. PayPal doesn't require anything in writing to process a dispute.

NYjetsNY1

Great post odin. I was going to pay paypal, but now I realize how awful that is. I will get my credit card ready and purchase soon.

odingalt

Staff member
Well, my post is more 'why PayPal sucks for small business owners'. But as a shopper/spender, I also quit using PayPal to pay. I prefer to use a straight up credit card these days. I used to always use the PayPal checkout when it was available. But we ran into so many problems just trying to pay with PayPal... we finally started transferring all our money out of PayPal into a real business checking account, and then paying via debit card or wire transfer.

-PayPal has low limits on their 'premiere business' debit cards... they cannot be changed. Period. Don't ask.
-PayPal has really invasive requirement for account backup funding. They require that we link both a checking account AND a credit card. When we move or change addresses, often their automatic system crashes and we are required to enter a new credit card and sometimes a different checking account just to update our mailing/shipping address. But guess what? They don't remove the old credit card or checking account numbers from their system. Ever. Make you feel uncomfortable? You bet it does.
-PayPal reserves the right to pull money out of your checking account and/or credit card at any time, without notice. I don't even let my cable TV company sign me up for autopay... I write the check out, because I've run into troubles with companies automatically withdrawing incorrect amounts of money from my accounts, and trust me, getting the money back is like pulling teeth.
-If you ever try to apply for a PayPal credit card, you'll more than likely be automatically signed up for "bill me later" - PayPal's lame excuse for a 'credit product'. Your limit? $500. Where can you use it? E-bay.
-My wife can't update our e-mail address with PayPal without calling 1-800 customer service (in India). Enjoy that 2 hour phone call any time you need to change your e-mail address...
-PayPal is not a traditional financial institution. They are not regulated like a regular Federal bank. Which means they can tread all over your face, and there's no government institution to step in and help you when they do.

I could probably sit here and complain all day. I just wanted everyone to know I hate PayPal with 100% of my heart - both as a small business owner, and as a shopper! I can't tell you how happy we are to be off PayPal. Now we just wait 90 more days from September 3rd (when we launched our new site) and pray that we get all our money back from PayPal before they decide to freeze our account for no reason whatsoever with no recourse. I've waited on bashing PayPal until we were safely disconnected from them - well maybe I'm premature, they still have our business checking account numbers as well as a few thousand of our hard earned cash. But at least that's all they get!

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

odingalt said:
Well, my post is more 'why PayPal sucks for small business owners'. But as a shopper/spender, I also quit using PayPal to pay. I prefer to use a straight up credit card these days. I used to always use the PayPal checkout when it was available. But we ran into so many problems just trying to pay with PayPal... we finally started transferring all our money out of PayPal into a real business checking account, and then paying via debit card or wire transfer.

-PayPal has low limits on their 'premiere business' debit cards... they cannot be changed. Period. Don't ask.
-PayPal has really invasive requirement for account backup funding. They require that we link both a checking account AND a credit card. When we move or change addresses, often their automatic system crashes and we are required to enter a new credit card and sometimes a different checking account just to update our mailing/shipping address. But guess what? They don't remove the old credit card or checking account numbers from their system. Ever. Make you feel uncomfortable? You bet it does.
-PayPal reserves the right to pull money out of your checking account and/or credit card at any time, without notice. I don't even let my cable TV company sign me up for autopay... I write the check out, because I've run into troubles with companies automatically withdrawing incorrect amounts of money from my accounts, and trust me, getting the money back is like pulling teeth.
-If you ever try to apply for a PayPal credit card, you'll more than likely be automatically signed up for "bill me later" - PayPal's lame excuse for a 'credit product'. Your limit? $500. Where can you use it? E-bay.
-My wife can't update our e-mail address with PayPal without calling 1-800 customer service (in India). Enjoy that 2 hour phone call any time you need to change your e-mail address...
-PayPal is not a traditional financial institution. They are not regulated like a regular Federal bank. Which means they can tread all over your face, and there's no government institution to step in and help you when they do.

I could probably sit here and complain all day. I just wanted everyone to know I hate PayPal with 100% of my heart - both as a small business owner, and as a shopper! I can't tell you how happy we are to be off PayPal. Now we just wait 90 more days from September 3rd (when we launched our new site) and pray that we get all our money back from PayPal before they decide to freeze our account for no reason whatsoever with no recourse. I've waited on bashing PayPal until we were safely disconnected from them - well maybe I'm premature, they still have our business checking account numbers as well as a few thousand of our hard earned cash. But at least that's all they get!
hate is a strong word. are you shure you dont mean dislike strongly?....lol

obo

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
odingalt said:

hate is a strong word. are you shure you dont mean dislike strongly?....lol
doubt it lol

Jonny

If people really want/need to pay via pay pal, can they not gift the money across, then you get 100% of it? - or is there a limit on gifting..?

LoveKillzSlowly

I know this might be a late reply but If you do not feel comfortable using your credit card online or if you don't have one you can get a reloadable prepaid card to purchase a controller here and yes they will work here. You can get these pretty much anywhere CVS, Rite Aid, 7-11, etc. and they only cost like $5.
https://www.mygreendot.com/greendot/

Jonny said:
If people really want/need to pay via pay pal, can they not gift the money across, then you get 100% of it? - or is there a limit on gifting..?
This wouldn't be safe on your end and I wouldn't recommend anyone to send a payment as gift when dealing with any type of online purchases.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

PS3andCOD said:
Yeah, you can also buy credit giftcards. They're just credit cards that run out and get thrown out.
like american express prepaid giftcards that i get....or you could get a visa giftcard.....you can load these i think to 1000$ so it should work.

LoveKillzSlowly

Yeah the gift cards work pretty much the same way but the greendot cards I recommended are much much better. It's like having a debit card and after you spent the money you can keep the card and put more money on it for later use or just throw it away. Not only that but you can link a name, address, etc. on to the card and they'll send you another card with your name on it. Some gift cards don't let you do this. Remember that the mailing address must match billing address because for fraud reasons, they cannot ship to any address other than what was provided to them by their credit card processing gateway.

No billing address associated with the card = transaction denied.

As gifts for friends/family I always put $150 on these cards and they never had an issue with these cards when it came to purchasing stuff online and I must have sent out over 20 of these to friends/family so I know this will work for all the young kids here who can't get/use a credit card.

Greendot_CardGroup.jpg

PS3andCOD

Contributor
That makes sense... Do you know if those are even available in Canada? I don't think I've seen one before... They're visa branded?