Problems opening macro software due to .net framework 4?

frankie79

So after patiently waiting for a week, I just received my Viking 360 controller today! But I am having trouble running the macro software after I installed it. I keep getting this error message when I try to open the editing software.

"To run this application, you first must install one of the following versions of the .NET Framework: v4.0.30319
Contact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the appropriate version of the .NET Framework."

I have installed the .NET Framework V4 with updates and restarted my computer and I also unistalled/reinstalled the Viking macro software and I still keep getting that error. Please help! I am anxious to get this working so I can try out my new controller! Thank you in advance for your help!

frankie79

Anybody had this problem?!? I am at my wit's end. I've opened up a support ticket and posted here in the forum and I have yet to get a response. It is very disappointing and frustrating to spend $200 on a controller, wait a week to get it, and I can't even get into the macro software to see how it works. Somebody please help! Also I am running Windows Vista SP2. If you need any other information just let me know.

Last edited:

NYjetsNY1

When the macro software is installed, it asks you to install the .NET framework! Just install it from there.

If you are still having computer troubles, you can download this. http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Just tell me your ID + Password via a private message + a time you can teamview. I'll help you then. Make sure the teamviewer software stays open + you give me the password after its been opened. Every time you close the software, the password changes, so make sure you have it open and leave it open once you tell me the password. You may want to just tell me the password 15 minutes before the time you would like teamviewer support.

That is if you are still having issues.

frankie79

Thx NY! I have opened up teamviewer and I private messaged you the ID & password. I would like to try and take care of this now or tonight if you would be able to assist me. I would really appreciate it. Thx in advance.

odingalt

Staff member
First question, you're on a real windows PC and not a macintosh running virtual windows? If so, read on:

This is an issue with Microsoft unfortunately. Found this thread on google:

http://blackprophecy.gamigo.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-11809.html

Thttp://blackprophecy.gamigo.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-11809.htmlhey said to try clicking directly on the .EXE rather than the shortcut that is placed on your desktop. To accomplish this you'll have to locate "The Viking Software.exe" on your computer. I don't know where Vista puts program files, but on other windows operating systems you would go to

c:\program files\viking360\The Viking\The Viking Software.exe

A lot of problems with Vista are due to the UAC. You might try disabling the UAC as it has a tendency to screw a lot of things up.

The last fix offered in that forums was to download the .net framework from the development center instead of the usual .net framework download page though I'm not sure how much luck you'll have. Even if you don't install .net framework 4, the Viking Software does that for you if it doesn't detect the .net framework. So again I think this goes back to a serious issue with Microsoft and .net framework. Google is full of people having similar issues with other software.

(I'll keep googling. I specifically avoided Vista like the black plague and waited with Windows XP until Windows 7 was released). I'll post back if I find any more suggested fixes to try.

frankie79

Ok so I found a solution... I got rid of the garbage OS called Vista and I upgraded to Windows 7 last night. Just finished configuring my system and downloaded and installed all the updates. I clicked on the Viking software and Presto! It works. lol. Not the cheapest solution out there but I wanted to upgrade anyway. This just made me do it a little quicker. So now I've done all of this I have two hours before I have to be at work. Maybe I can set up my controller real quick so I can try it out. lol. Thx again to NYjetsNY1 for trying to help me figure this out last night. Thx Odingalt for the tip but I went ahead and upgraded to 7 before I seen your post. I was pulling my hair out yesterday trying to get this to work. I appreciate you guys helping me out even though it was a error with vista and not the viking software.

NYjetsNY1

No problem, glad you got everything working out. I 100% agree with odingalt about avoiding vista like the black plague. XP was miles ahead of vista even though vista came out after, then windows 7 was light years ahead. I don't know how microsoft could screw up an os that badly, but vista was awful.

odingalt

Staff member
Completely aside from the Viking, I'm glad you were able to get upgraded to Windows 7. You'll probably notice your computer running much faster. Vista was not a good operating system. :-( Windows 7 was a huge improvement, I've been nothing but happy since upgrading to Windows 7 last year.

Xx Binno xX

Completely aside from the Viking, I'm glad you were able to get upgraded to Windows 7. You'll probably notice your computer running much faster. Vista was not a good operating system. Windows 7 was a huge improvement, I've been nothing but happy since upgrading to Windows 7 last year.
Some of my friends would tell me that they would just start losing hard drive space with windows vista with out downloading anything or doing anything it would just start getting higher an higher.