PS3 Ragnarok DIY chip

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

woah woah woah...so your saying there bringing back the CG2? if thats the case are you going to be bringing back the macro controller? :)

odingalt

Staff member
woah woah woah...so your saying there bringing back the CG2? if thats the case are you going to be bringing back the macro controller? :)

Not likely. Even with an endless supply of CG2 controllers, the Macro controller still costs us somewhere in the neighborhood of $140 to produce. Plus, we have to make a minimum re-order of 1,000 modchips, or else our supplier won't do business with us. That's a lot of cash and investment. Especially considering that we've only sold about 1,400 macro controllers lifetime.

Plus we need to make money on an investment. If I provide Macro controllers at $140, I'll be selling plain black at $199 again, which is still too high. Remember Uncle Same and the State of Washington take about 50% of every dollar of "profit". That means even if I am selling macro controllers at $199, and producing them for $140, I'm only pocketing $30 per macro controller. That means I have to put up about $140,000 to produce 1,000 macro controllers (risk), and even if I sell them all, I'm only going to get back $30,000 (profits). It would take me a little over a year to sell the macro controllers, assuming something bigger/badder/awesomer doesn't come out before then. I would make more money if I applied to be the assistant manager at a fast food restaurant! While 20% annual return on your investment isn't bad, compared to the risk I expect, it's not worth it for me.

We're going to forge ahead with the Ragnarok controllers. We are expecting about the same ROI but with much less risk (much less inventory). If sales plummet, we won't be stuck with a warehouse full of inventory. Inventory is the enemy of any company. The biggest impedement to us producing more macro controllers is our supplier's minimum order requirement. We've been holding out almost a year now, but he still won't budge lol.

Hope this makes sense!

It really sucks that we have this macro software, but no hardware to run it on! :-(

TecHunter

Well understood, I just wish I had the cash to buy one to play with before you stop selling them. Sounds like a hell of a controller. I think its just to advance for most people is why it dosent sell fast + the price.

odingalt

Staff member
If you can believe it, my original retail price estimate for the macro controller was to be $145! That's the SELLING price. I don't know where I went wrong in the calculations lol. The whole project was a good learning experience.