PS4 Berserker "pre-order" campaign launched on Kickstarter - pledge your support

Satanicat

Banner on main page for the kickstarter campaign is a great idea thomwithah. I also sent in a tip to destructoid, not sure if it will help, but I really want this to go through!

odingalt

Staff member
I sent an email to Destructoid's tips. I thought it was a good idea. I've also shared across various social media. I would be more than happy to share / email other blogs or news sources that anyone might think would pick up the story. Any suggestions? The projects been stuck at 9 backers for a little bit now. Honestly I'm surprised. I know Viking's community has been a bit more Microsoft centric in the past, but I would have thought they'd still be happy to support the project with at least a T-shirt. Of course, having a PS4 berserker means more Forge users and more runes for everyone. So supporting this project is a win for the Microsoft camp in this way as well.

Odingalt,

How would you feel about adding a banner or link right on the front page of Viking360.com and Viking digital.com? This might catch a few more people. As I said, even those not interested in a PS4 Berserker can still be interested in a T-shirt.

I know the $200+ price tag sucks, but it's the old chicken and egg scenario. Without volume, we can't get the price down. Without getting the price down, we can't get the volume. If only a handful of people want to buy a product that costs 6 figures to develop, the only way is for those few hardcore gamers to pay a bigger share. It's looking grim for PS4 Berserker.

All modded controllers are expensive, it's expected. Part of viking360 problem is if I search "ps3 modded controller" or "ps4 modded controller" I don't see viking360 anywhere. Viking did a great job building their 360 following and if they wish to get the same from the ps4 following (which is trending to be much larger than the xbox1) it'll take as much time and effort.

Satanicat

I know the $200+ price tag sucks, but it's the old chicken and egg scenario. Without volume, we can't get the price down. Without getting the price down, we can't get the volume. If only a handful of people want to buy a product that costs 6 figures to develop, the only way is for those few hardcore gamers to pay a bigger share. It's looking grim for PS4 Berserker.

If this doesn't get success from Kickstarter I am still willing to pay a higher cost for an individual controller. Just putting that out there. That's how much I want one! Love your work odingalt. Your company really needs more support instead of those cheaper more gimmicky mods on the market.

odingalt

Staff member
All modded controllers are expensive, it's expected. Part of viking360 problem is if I search "ps3 modded controller" or "ps4 modded controller" I don't see viking360 anywhere. Viking did a great job building their 360 following and if they wish to get the same from the ps4 following (which is trending to be much larger than the xbox1) it'll take as much time and effort.

Time and effort? You forgot money, dude. Fat huge stacks of money. If I spend the 6 figures required to compete with the mass marketing of the other shops, you can forget about USB mods, macro controller, and Berserker. The only way to compete in marketing is to sell cheap, run-of-the-mill mods.

JIM WALKER

Time and effort? You forgot money, dude. Fat huge stacks of money. If I spend the 6 figures required to compete with the mass marketing of the other shops, you can forget about USB mods, macro controller, and Berserker. The only way to compete in marketing is to sell cheap, run-of-the-mill mods.

Having run a business for 40 yrs, (though not e-commerce), what you say Odin makes perfect sense, there IS a market for your kind of product especially when connected to the ethical attitude that exists within your company (all too rare nowadays), so word of mouth is a huge part of success in your case, we, as customers MUST do our part, both in support and passing on the word to the uninitiated.

Wasn't trying to insult you, Odin. I know it takes a ton of money to put out the quality of product your company has been dishing out. I was simply stating that people don't know of Viking360 when it comes to playstation. Making the point that it took years to garner a gathering like you have from the Microsoft bunch it'll take that much time to build a Sony following. I understand ps4 berserker won't happen and I know why. It's not from a lack of effort from you guys just maybe a lack of following from Playstation folks

bonefisher

Give it some time it will happen! Just like I did a half hour ago....couple of buddies want a berserker but don't know yet! so I loaned them my controller for the weekend to try it! I have a great sense that they will buy one soon after checking it out and with a little help by me with the program they will be amazed!

JIM WALKER

Give it some time it will happen! Just like I did a half hour ago....couple of buddies want a berserker but don't know yet! so I loaned them my controller for the weekend to try it! I have a great sense that they will buy one soon after checking it out and with a little help by me with the program they will be amazed!

LOL, hope you put a tracking devise on it, you might have trouble getting it back ......

odingalt

Staff member
Wasn't trying to insult you, Odin. I know it takes a ton of money to put out the quality of product your company has been dishing out. I was simply stating that people don't know of Viking360 when it comes to playstation. Making the point that it took years to garner a gathering like you have from the Microsoft bunch it'll take that much time to build a Sony following. I understand ps4 berserker won't happen and I know why. It's not from a lack of effort from you guys just maybe a lack of following from Playstation folks

Yeah my frustration wasn't pointed at you, just pointed at the slow market. We'll be back to normal in a year or two. We're at the intersection between 360/PS3 and XBOX One/PS4. Nobody has upgraded to the new stuff yet, but they are thinking about it, so in the mean time they are holding off on more purchases of the old stuff. So we're sort of in a limbo. Since I am still an e-commerce virgin (5 years but I started in the middle of the XBOX 360 peak) I did not realize that it would be a good 2-3 years of drought from the day they announced the new consoles (March 2013) until the market picked up again. Everybody is at the low water mark right now, not just Viking.

We'll get the PS4 Berserker out if it kills me, it just might not be until 2015. Will sock away some of those holiday shopping revenues for the Berserker project. I just want to see it get out there, also it would be a shame not to get it out there since the Viking Forge doesn't need much modification to support both consoles at the same time.

odingalt

Staff member
Wondering if there is a good time of the year we could just dump Berserkers into the market at or below cost for a couple of weeks. Is doing something like that a stupid idea or a smart idea?

On one hand, some customers literally just see a higher price tag and think to themselves "well, it's priced higher so it must be better". On the other hand, $200+ is just a lot of money for a controller. Though dumping them on a fire sale may not do much good as soon as we go back to regular prices where we are profitable we have a few less customers since surely some snipers will take the good deal during a sale :).

40_ounce

It's tough to do a sale so early in the game. I can feel you on that.
But even Microsoft put the xbox one on sale with a free game so I don't think it would be a bad thing to have a sale.
It will definitely get the word out about your new xbox one controllers. Plus the xbox one will be around for a long time.
there are still people like myself that have not yet upgraded from the xbox 360. Honestly there is no reason for to just yet. I can wait for a price drop.

JIM WALKER

Wondering if there is a good time of the year we could just dump Berserkers into the market at or below cost for a couple of weeks. Is doing something like that a stupid idea or a smart idea?

On one hand, some customers literally just see a higher price tag and think to themselves "well, it's priced higher so it must be better". On the other hand, $200+ is just a lot of money for a controller. Though dumping them on a fire sale may not do much good as soon as we go back to regular prices where we are profitable we have a few less customers since surely some snipers will take the good deal during a sale :).

Personally, I think you should hold fast, there is the risk that you devalue your work, there are other ways to generate income, sales on older models is fine, but not the new builds ....

bonefisher

Odin I believe you should hold out on dropping price but maybe spice up the buy with little things.....like through in a case on one week and Krontrol Freeks or some little item on different times! I think also when you do a little research surfing on the web that your really not out there on search engines or You Tube! Keep in mind if your not on the first page or two once searched your not seen! That is about far I go on pages anyway!

Last edited:
To be honest I think you're priced perfectly at the 249.99. Troubles are most consumers don't understand the benefits of a Berserker controller over your standard run of the mill rapid fire modded controller. Continuing to release video demonstrations for multiple games (like you have for forza 5) will start explaining to consumers that the controller isn't only useful on FPS. Also, the selection in games needs to become better.

odingalt

Staff member
Yeah last week I kinda came around to the realization our youtube channel has been dead about two years. Best way to spend my time is to crank out videos and try to keep up a good variety (i.e. don't just do 10 videos on Call of Duty). That Forza 5 video was my first attempt at branching out. The drawback is if I want to do more I have to hit up GameStop and start dropping $60 a title lol :). But I think I need a sports game. Maybe Fifa 2014 next.

HopeAndLove

Im a Member on a few sites maybe I can get someone to Pledge a Big Amount :) This Might sound Kinda dumb but maybe Since Mod Chips take so long to Install maybe you should have Just A custom Controller sale for All the Viking platforms since most people do not know how to do it you might be able to get a Little cash from that. The controllers would have no mods But still be random customs :) It Sounds dumb but Im only 15 so most things I say Probably are :) Since it is So early For People upgrading to new consoles do Like xbox 360 and Ps3 and maybe a Xbox one and Ps4 Here and there .....

Last edited:

Satanicat

Yeah my frustration wasn't pointed at you, just pointed at the slow market. We'll be back to normal in a year or two. We're at the intersection between 360/PS3 and XBOX One/PS4. Nobody has upgraded to the new stuff yet, but they are thinking about it, so in the mean time they are holding off on more purchases of the old stuff. So we're sort of in a limbo. Since I am still an e-commerce virgin (5 years but I started in the middle of the XBOX 360 peak) I did not realize that it would be a good 2-3 years of drought from the day they announced the new consoles (March 2013) until the market picked up again. Everybody is at the low water mark right now, not just Viking.

We'll get the PS4 Berserker out if it kills me, it just might not be until 2015. Will sock away some of those holiday shopping revenues for the Berserker project. I just want to see it get out there, also it would be a shame not to get it out there since the Viking Forge doesn't need much modification to support both consoles at the same time.

Well the people who want the PS4 Berserker aren't going anywhere! If it's not out this year, whenever it DOES get released, you know you have some guaranteed sales. Price isn't a big deal to me because of my experience with the PS3 controller. You guys make a good product and it must be a real PITA to be in the red for a while when creating a new product.