Questions about the controller

Wormwood

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere but I'm curious about the capabilities of this controller.

I'm very used to re-recording software for tool-assisted speedruns, and from what I've seen the editing software looks very similar. From what I understand, we can either (and please correct me if I'm wrong):

1) start from scratch making these input files on the software, or
2) just start recording "live" button presses on the controller as we play.

Also, if I'm correct in assuming #2, this recorded input can be uploaded to the computer and edited with the software? Can different input files be spliced together? Or would we just have to manually copy a second input file as we edit the first?

Finally, can the input files be long? Like 5-10 minutes long?

Worm I can answer only one of your questions, if you make a macro 5-10 minutes long it will probley freeze, it would be best to keep it under 30 seconds.

Wormwood

What will freeze? The input file or the game itself? From my experience with emulators, input files are pretty small. Even five hours of input amounts to like 2 MB for more primitive controllers. With analog sensitivity, I'm sure it amounts to more, but probably not too much more.

I can see the input desynching if it was too long due to the fact that it's not synced to the systems internal timer, but there's a specific game that I'm looking to use macros on that's particularly deterministic.

Last edited:
There was a thread on here about this I will try to find it for you.. As I don't know much about it, just what I read

Sorry I can't find it I have searched for 20 minutes, it was called something like "chaining macro commands " and I saw it this week. I am sure Odin or Nerd or Matt will help you out.

Apex NuGz

lol.. for what i have done in the past. the controller doesn't "freeze" when playing back a LONG macro, its built with quality and if it didn't do a key function correctly, they would have fixed it by now, (this controller being out for four/five/six? years now.) yay 2013! lol.

odingalt

Staff member
Yes I would keep recorded macro under 60 seconds.

1.) Yes you are correct
2.) Has some limitations based on what you are describing.

Right now there is no copy/paste functionality in the software meaning you can't combine two macros into one, you have to draw the whole thing from scratch, or record the whole thing from scratch and then tweak it using the editor.

Wormwood

Sorry, but I'm not still sure why the macros should be short. Is it hardware/software limitation, or is it because they fail to work properly after a long time (i.e. a desync)?

modded matt

it is limited due to the available eeprom of the chip. For macros as long as you want, the mod chip would need an additional onboard flash memory.

Wormwood

Ah okay... well, what about this: Say I had several macros that started and ended by pausing the game. After the first macro played through, the game would be paused. Is it now possible to load the next macro into the controller, unpause the game, execute more macro, pause again, and continue in this manner?

odingalt

Staff member
Sorry, but I'm not still sure why the macros should be short. Is it hardware/software limitation, or is it because they fail to work properly after a long time (i.e. a desync)?

The Windows timeline editing software is not optimized for long macros, if you try to record 10 minutes and load it in Windows it will freeze up. So I guess I would say it's a software limitation. If you had a supercomputer it could probably read long macros but it shouldn't take a supercomputer, just more optimized code.

Wormwood

Okay, I'm on the fence about purchasing one. The only question I have left is what you meant when you said "2.) Has some limitations based on what you are describing."

If I were to record myself playing "live" for around 30 seconds, would I be able to accurately and precisely record all the button presses, including analog sensitivity of both the triggers and analog sticks?

blokq

That worked for me, although I didn't try it for 30 seconds. But I could actually record a "Trickshot" and then replay it.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

ModdingBros Representative
The record mode will pick up all your anolog and sensitivity levels and will remember all your button presses. It will also draw out a macro timeline of your recorded macro so u can edit it or fine tune your playback. Its not 100% though. The whole anole movement thing will not be perfect everytime. U will almost 100% of the time get a different result if u record a macro that moves u around by anolge funtion. There are many factors like sensitivity levels in games. If u change the sensitivity level in the game u will get a different result in the anologe funtions. Also lagg is a factor. If u record a playback then start in the exact same spot u recorded it in u will not end up in the same place u ended your run. U may be real close to where u ended your run but there is always contributing factors that will give u a slightly different result everytime. Even with this all said the macro controller is still the most advanced controller on the market and it limitations are really just up to how well u can learn the software. Ive learned how to do so much amazing things with this controller also I have a ****nal of macros for most popular titles. The macro sets the curve for all other mod companies. We make all the new mods before any other company does and there just tryin to keep up. Its a complicated controller but learn the software and u can make any mod or invent a new mod no one has ever seen and watch other companies try to steal it and claim they came up with it lol.

odingalt

Staff member
Okay, I'm on the fence about purchasing one. The only question I have left is what you meant when you said "2.) Has some limitations based on what you are describing."

If I were to record myself playing "live" for around 30 seconds, would I be able to accurately and precisely record all the button presses, including analog sensitivity of both the triggers and analog sticks?

The digital button presses are accurate. The analogs are not 100% exact replication. So for example if you record ourself driving a lap around the racetrack and then play it back, your driver will probably run into the side walls. The analog recording works good for sports games, rpgs (casting spells or farming for points), fighting games pulling off combos, etc. Anything similar to something like "push joystick forward, then make right half circle, then flick joystick left" kind of moves. This includes some trickjumping. But anything that requires exact reduplication like racecar driving forget it, there's too much variation in the analog read and analog playback.

I am sorry this is a bit of a vague answer, hacking the analogs on the joystick is not an exact science like hacking the digital button presses ;-)

Wormwood

Ok, so in the Viking Macro Controller introductory video, it shows the player recording and using macros in real-time, without any transferring to the software (looks like FIFA and CoD). I have been messing with the controller for a bit and can't seem to replicate what's done in this video (pressing the left tac to begin recording, pressing it again to stop recording, and then pressing the right one to play it back). When I press either button, the corresponding LEDs light up, but I don't think any recording is occurring. Sorry if this question has been answered, but I can't find it anywhere.

Wormwood

Oh oh oh, ok. I would have probably figured that out too. I'm just having trouble getting the software to load... I installed it fine, but whenever I click on the icon, nothing happens. The task manager says it's running, but the window never appears.

odingalt

Staff member
Wormwood did you install the latest and greatest off the website, some of the older cd-roms have an old buggy version of the software on it.

Wormwood

EDIT: Ah, got the software to work. Unfortunately, what I wanted to do all along didn't work at all. :/ Hopefully I can find another use for the controller!

Last edited: